What Would Make The Hayabusa Exciting Again?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Now that I am full of Turkey, I was thinking what would return our beloved Hayabusa to the top of the heap? One of the biggest problems is I don't believe the market is right for just another, faster hyper-bike. I don't imagine Suzuki can afford to build anything like an H2R with no market for it. So I was thinking what about a group of bikes all built on the a super engine? KTM has done this with the 1290 V-twin. Kawasaki also with the H2, H2R & now H2 SX. Makes sense right?

Why not start with a supercharged 3 cylinder 1090 cc delivering between 220 and 350 hp with a healthy torque curve in the 125 plus lb/ft range? I just picked 3 cylinders to save a little weight for the supercharger and to keep the bike narrow - but 4 cylinders would work too. But this might be a wash with the need for balancing. I just pulled the 1090 cc's out of my arse, but I don't think you need huge displacement with the blower.

Next is a basic frame "backbone" . Suzuki has already applied for a patent for a frame for a bike like a Hayabusa that is about 20 lbs lighter than a tradition twin spar frame. Engine would be a stressed member of course. Then simply add the right parts to it. GSXR1000 front end and mono shock. Beefy swingarm, maybe a stretched one for the dragster. Then the appropriate subframe for the seat. Simple enough.

Then add electronics, all of the typical stuff. Then package things up and off you go. I see 3 bikes, 2 with "S" models and one track only version like the H2R. The first would be a 220/125 (hp/torque) sport tourer ($16K, "S" model $23K), the second a 250/130 (hp/torque) "road superiority" bike ($17K, "S" $19K), and the third would be a Track only 350/200 (hp/torque) monster ($30K). "S" models would have upgraded equipment and trim.

Below is a diagram I put together using a B-King as the base for the sport touring version. I think a bike like this could get Suzuki in a position to fight for this class with the KTM 1290, Ducati Multistrada, and Kawasaki H2 SX. This will be a profitable class for the leading manufacturers but the bikes already in this class are pretty awesome (KTM Ducati and maybe BMW 1000). Frankly though, if the Kawasaki and the proposed Suzuki were good and blown, I think they would distinguish themselves as class leaders.

This is a photoshop so I just used the shield and saddle bags of the KTM but they could be worked into the character and lines of the B-kingish look. What do you think:
New Hayabusa GT.jpg

I was thinking about something along these lines when we were out on our 2008 earlier. What would make me buy another Hayabusa? What would the GEN 3 have to be to prompt me to spend $18k - $20k?

Here are a few things that I would like to see.
-ABS, maybe wheelie control, I don't want a full electronic suite, keep it simple and just enough to get the job done.

- Adjustable bars that range from stock to roughly the height that you get with a bar riser + heli bars.

-Less weight, but don't sacrifice long term durability

-- 1500-16000 cc motor, keep it a four cylinder because I prefer the scream of a four over the grumble of a three. Keep the motor super durable with room to grow like the current Busa's. I think 220 rwhp would be easily to reach while maintaining excellent bottom and mid-range drivability and torque.

- Some form of crash protection so a driveway drop doesn't cost thousands of dollars.

- Update the body in the name of better aerodynamics while keeping the instantly recognizable Busa profile.

-Upgraded suspension with the proper spring rates from the factory for a 175-210 lb pilot.

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure I'll come up with more later.

I don’t think it’s hard give a updated body make a little more HP and get modern with eltronics with a cool dash.

Keep it reasonable priced bikes are getting stupid expensive. H2 are cool but the price WTF.

Nowadays any bike with all the trimmings fixings bells & whistles is gonna run $20k+

Look @ all the Euro's like the Ducati and BMW's. Easily cost that much and more....

Yamaha R1M that came out fully loaded cost 20k

Kawasaki H2.....20k+

KTM's Super Duke is hovering around the $20k mark as well

So if you want the new Busa to have have all the premium components like Ohlins, Brembo, quickshifters, traction control, TFT screen and so forth that's what it's gonna cost. And I just don't see people paying that much for a Suzuki right now...... The Suzuki name just doesn't carry the weight it once did. All you gotta do is look @ their GSXR1000 and see what tech they have on it. I just don't see them unveiling the new Busa with all these trick goodies when they haven't put them on any other model like the 1000???

Nowadays any bike with all the trimmings fixings bells & whistles is gonna run $20k+

Look @ all the Euro's like the Ducati and BMW's. Easily cost that much and more....

Yamaha R1M that came out fully loaded cost 20k

Kawasaki H2.....20k+

KTM's Super Duke is hovering around the $20k mark as well

So if you want the new Busa to have have all the premium components like Ohlins, Brembo, quickshifters, traction control, TFT screen and so forth that's what it's gonna cost. And I just don't see people paying that much for a Suzuki right now...... The Suzuki name just doesn't carry the weight it once did. All you gotta do is look @ their GSXR1000 and see what tech they have on it. I just don't see them unveiling the new Busa with all these trick goodies when they haven't put them on any other model like the 1000???

Most of the stuff I show in the graphic above is parts bin stuff they already have on the V-Strom and/or GSXR1000R, so no big deal there. The helmet is probably the only thing that is not feasible in today's technology. Suzuki already has supercharged prototype engines, and we know they are probably looking to street it soon. The new Gixxer is not exciting but it's very capable and it's alreasdy winning races for Suzuki again. Suzuki has sort of embraced the budget bike market but staying there will ultimately damage there street credibility with many buyers. I just think a powerful Busa with "updated" styling is DOA in the market today. Great bikes cost mid-$20K today, some even more. There may not be volume in that market but you need to be there to protect the image of the brand IMHO. When Suzuki was king, their bikes were not the cheapest bikes on the market.

The setup you present here reminds me of that one thread were someone posted a bking set for touring. Not my picture, but what the member posted.
9E10C0C7-A144-4EEE-8F7D-F50002592FF2.jpeg

Unfortunately Suzuki is too late to the party. If they had released the new GSXR1000 2 years ago it might have mattered. Now, it's just at least not embarrassing to buy a Suzuki. Now what can the Busa offer the market that isn't already established? Kawasaki has the crazy power, KTM the super fun (where the Busa used to rule), BMW, Ducati and several others have the sensibly fun market. What's left?

How about

N/A Engine with VVT and about 30 more HP and torque
Reduce weight
Modern electronics
GP style swingarm
World class brakes
Updated HID headlight
Updated suspension that adjusts for heavier riders
Updated instrument panel
Oil and filter change without removing fairings
Leave ergo alone and don't change the basic looks at all.
Removable saddle bags that look great on and like they were never there when removed

Honestly, the first two entries are enough for me. Redesigning the looks would lessen the iconic nature of the bike. They took a big risk from gen1 to gen2, it would be hard to pull that off again. If they stray too far it will be a Busa in name only.

That's all It would take for me to upgrade.

How about

N/A Engine with VVT and about 30 more HP and torque
Reduce weight
Modern electronics
GP style swingarm
World class brakes
Updated HID headlight
Updated suspension that adjusts for heavier riders
Updated instrument panel
Oil and filter change without removing fairings
Leave ergo alone and don't change the basic looks at all.
Removable saddle bags that look great on and like they were never there when removed

Honestly, the first two entries are enough for me. Redesigning the looks would lessen the iconic nature of the bike. They took a big risk from gen1 to gen2, it would be hard to pull that off again. If they stray too far it will be a Busa in name only.

That's all It would take for me to upgrade.

So why would a new buyer buy a bike like that? I don't think Suzuki is going to build a new Busa in hopes that many people who currently own one will buy another one, that's just not how this works. They need to attract new customers or the bike won't make economic sense. If I'm totally honest, my Gen 2 fills all of my needs for a motorcycle. But what new buyer is going to buy a not the fastest, little too heavy, completely electronics free bike in this day and age?

It pains me to say it, let's face it for all the reasons Arch has pointed out, the busa is probably dead. A new bike now days has to have all the electronic aids to sell, there is no question there. For a busa to be a busa again it only has to do one thing, be the fastest production bike on the planet. That is what made the busa in the first place and for years that is what hayabusa ment. Now days there is no speed wars for us to win. Bikes have gotten so fast that no one can even touch the bikes full potential on the street. If suzuki designed that hayabusa to be anything other than the king of speed it will no longer be the hayabusa. The market for our beloved bike is no longer there.

All that being said. For me to buy another busa all the would have to do is improve the suspension, brakes and put it on a diet. Basically produce the bike that many of us have already built. I am currently on my seventh busa and will always have one in my stable.

I dont know, I am still jonesing for some of those bold new graphics.

But seriously, my 09 is mine and only cost to keep her is maintenance and insurance. Zuk would really have to put out something special for me to want to trade.

But seriously, my 09 is mine and only cost to keep her is maintenance and insurance. Zuk would really have to put out something special for me to want to trade.
I’m with twotone. As much as I would like to see a new busa, mine is paid for and I could spend some money on it and change the color or something to make me feel like I have a new bike. Lol

So why would a new buyer buy a bike like that?...They need to attract new customers or the bike won't make economic sense...But what new buyer is going to buy a not the fastest, little too heavy, completely electronics free bike in this day and age?

Me. I am a potential shopper (maybe within a year?) and would love a Hayabusa. All I think as I read the wish lists is that I personally would like to see some sort of weight reduction, and that I hate electronics. I do realize that traction control could be a friend of mine, but complexity has gotten way out of hand in vehicles.

However, it has been pointed out to me by just about everyone around me that I am not normal. So please take that into consideration.

I would just be happy if they would put the oil filter in a spot that made sense/didn't require pulling the fairings and dripping oil on the damned headers every frigging time! While they are at it put some real thought into the fairings themselves to ease maintenance. The rest of it could just be parts bin sharing with the new GSXR 1000. Suspenders, brakes, VVT, electronics etc. Its all there and would seem to be simple enough to leverage for the next gen bike. Build a well balanced baseline that the aftermarket can glom onto once again.

In the long run I think it is very clear that Suzuki is just now beginning to dig out of the Volkswagen partnership/rip off/ arbitration fiasco. The financial backlash that created crippled their ability to create new models and innovate the way their competitors have been able to over the past half dozen years or so. Hell it essentially killed their automotive presence in North America.

All is not gloomy though. They just won the MotoAmerica Superbike Series with the GSXR1000 and the MotoGP effort is as competitive as any in the sport right now. That should... lead to trickle down to the street. Hopefully they get things headed in the right direction soon, and give everyone the new Hayabusa most want. If they don't, someone else surely will. I have mentioned this before, but If you look at the current Ducati Supersport as an example. Ducati have created a bike with top flight suspension, sane ergo's, luggage, sporty character and they are selling it for a song at 12.9k for the standard and 14.9 for the S model with Full Ohlins! Extrapolate a little and stick the latest 1260cc Testastretta motor in that bike and you would be looking at a pretty damn nice ride for ~18K. It can be done and the example I used is a Ducati so the Japanese efficiency they are renowned for should be able to easily achieve the same for a lot less. .

to be a 3rd gen busa it will have to be a complete remake. Honestly the 2nd gen was not. It had a few more ponies a different tail but you could still tell it was a busa. I think it needs a complete makeover. Nothing less will draw the masses.

I would just be happy if they would put the oil filter in a spot that made sense/didn't require pulling the fairings and dripping oil on the damned headers every frigging time! While they are at it put some real thought into the fairings themselves to ease maintenance. The rest of it could just be parts bin sharing with the new GSXR 1000. Suspenders, brakes, VVT, electronics etc. Its all there and would seem to be simple enough to leverage for the next gen bike. Build a well balanced baseline that the aftermarket can glom onto once again.

I think there are kits to move the oil filter so it points to the side. Cut a hole in the fairing and there you go. Seems I remember someone on here doing that. Not sure VVT is needed on a torque monster engine like the Busa. Suspenders and brakes are easy fixes too. I have done those already and was looking at the Bazzaz to get TC and quick shifter too. But after all that you still have an old, heavy bike. The Busa is still a great bike but to make me go to a Suzuki Dealership and buy a new one I need something justifiably different.

Hey this is a serious conversation James.. You can't just thow a comment like that out in the middle of a discussion and expect me to not spit coke on my monitor...

More hp , torque, quick shifter up and down, suspension up grade, launch control. Brakes up grade. I guess I already have that bike if I had the money to build it.
and there inlies the rub.... launch control... wheelie control... traction control... in my opinion its a waste,,, horsepower and speed is the name of the game.,, any enthusiast would never call any busa an outdated fat bike... if ya got 18-20 gs to spend.. put it in ure current hayabusa and itll be better than anything you can buy... stop bullshitting, or stay on your bicycle.

Back