What is the range of the temp gauge? Does it spike to H when turning off?

twvette

Registered
I have a related post but need to know what temp the H represents. Also, what temp does red light comes on at. I have a custom application for a busa motor and it runs cool even with fan only cooming on occassioanlly and for brief periods and idles cool after a hard run, but immediately spikes to H when shutting off as my fan switch does not see this spike (coolant line length, etc. likely). My secondary question would be if it spikes to H when off for a while as it naturally cools how much of a concern would this be or do you think its safe to say its ok as long as I dont see the red light? I switched to evans coolant so it doesnt boil and there are no issues with air in the lines.

I'm not sure what the temps actually are, but my Gen 1 will hover just above the tick mark at the middle of the gauge. It'll get pretty hot on occasion after I shut it off, but never into the red, and that's during the hottest part of the year in Arizona. The Gen 2 never gets much over the tick mark. You condition doesn't sound normal, especially in January.

is the fan on a programmer that turns it on for x amount of seconds when engine is shutoff or only if fan switch sees it needs to be on?

Does the water pump push water into the engine or pull water out?

Its heat soak, pretty normal.The H is for high.Gauges also will go up from the voltages when shutting off sometimes.They will cycle up and down for reference when turning the key on.My autometer tach will stay where it was when running after it shuts off.Sometimes it will creep.

What I am searching for is does H represent 225, 250, 275, etc. .... and the same for the red over temp light that comes on within the coolant gauge.

Some great infor from Frank at Powerhouse! Thanks Frank!

Here is what you have: when the temp needle is at the very first line on the gauge ("C") your water temp will be at 122 degrees F. When the needle gets to the middle line (horizontal, pointing to the left), your water temperature will be 230 degrees F. When the needle gets to the very beginning of the red block up by the "H" (about 11 o'clock), your water temp should be 254 degrees F. The water temperature is measured by the sensor on the back of the cylinder head under the #1 intake. One thing to note: if the engine stop switch is turned OFF while the ignition switch is ON, the water temp gauge will indicate "H", the led warning light on the temp gauge will light up, and the LCD display on the main gauges will display "CHEC". This is NOT a malfunction, this is normal. When this happens, it is indicating that the water temp gauge is NOT receiving a signal from the ecu. Normal conditions should be restored by turning the engine stop switch to "RUN".

I dont see the CHEC but this might be explained by the fact I have a stock wire harness/ECU etc but it is custom "chopped" for my busa application eliminting thinks like the kickstand sensor or similar I dont need. My ignition is tied to a toggle switch and then a push button to turn over the engine rather han the standard key setup. I also have a Power Commander, Speed Healer with TRE, gear position sensor, longer wire runs, etc. so many opportunities for me to be "different".

My 09 is going to hot when u turn switch on with or with run switch flipped .my bike blew a fuse on the silonoid and I replaced now bike runs fine but the check gauge is on and no gear indicator with temp all the way on h even if bike is cold ..I've checked all connections and wires any help would be appreciated

When my bike went to H after turning it off, it was air in trapped in the system. I bleed the air on the screw located on the back of the head coolant fitting. The engine needs to be warm to do it.

Back