Water temp

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
After I changed my coolant to Engine Ice, my needle, while sitting in traffic, reaches about 1 to 1.5 the needles width above the halfway line. It didn't do that before flushing the radiator and adding Engine Ice. The needle is below halfway while moving. I have a couple of questions.

1. What does your temp read, normally, while moving and sitting in traffic.

2. I think I may have air in the system but the coolant level doesn't go down when I rock the bike to bleed the air out. Am I going to have to drain the system and try again?

Am I being paranoid about the little bit above halfway.

Thanks

I think you may still have some air in the system; try burping it. I have Engine Ice and I think my fan has only kicked on once since switching to EI...

Mine generally sits 1 to 1-1/2 needle widths below the halfway mark with Engine Ice while moving. If I sit in traffic for a little time it goes to just above the halfway mark and then the fan kicks on and it falls back to 1 to 1-1/2 needle width below. In addition to rocking the bike, you can also squeeze the hoses to get the air out or do a quick hard run.

No ice, sits about 1.5-2 below mark moving. Fan comes on at mark when sitting at idle. I've never heard fan while moving.

I dont have engine ice in mine but may temp guage does about the same as yours. 1 needle below while running an 1 above half way when sitting and thats where fan comes on.If you have time I would run it to normal temp and then let it cool overnight and recheck the radiator to see that its full. I dont think that looking at the bottle to judge if its full is a good idea.

If you have time I would run it to normal temp and then let it cool overnight and recheck the radiator to see that its full. I dont think that looking at the bottle to judge if its full is a good idea.
I also ran to temp then let cool overnight. I take the cap off of the radiator and check that way. Radiator is full and the system just wont burp anymore.

Over 100 degrees here and the needle will get a little over halfway. That's as high as it goes. Pretty normal I think.

Mid to upper 90s here all last week. No EI or WW in the system just stock fluid and the bike will barely get to the half way mark and the fan will come on while sitting still. While moving, the needle never has gotten higher than 2 needle widths away. I ride 150 miles a day so that is one of the things I watch closely.

Don

I dont have engine ice in mine but may temp guage does about the same as yours. 1 needle below while running an 1 above half way when sitting and thats where fan comes on.If you have time I would run it to normal temp and then let it cool overnight and recheck the radiator to see that its full. I dont think that looking at the bottle to judge if its full is a good idea.
+1

Back