What is the best spark plugs for 99 Busa?

OB_Mr Bear

Registered
Any chance of you making it to Carlsbad Raceway tomorrow, Birdofprey? Dolan is riding his ZX-12 and I'll be on the copper machine. Kind of a gentlemen's shootout amongst the San Diego chapter of the LABusas. Gates open at 1, running starts at 2.

Don't know any recommendations for spark plugs, that would work better than the stockers. There may be some, I just don't know.

I was wondering what the best spark plugs and heat ranges are for the 99 Busa. Engine is stock exept for BMC filter and Two Brothers Ti slip-ons. Any help would sure be apreciated.
Thanks
Bird of Prey

Bikenut, is there any measureable performance difference between those plugs and the OEM ones, that you know of? Every bit helps. Thanks.

I have the EVXs too, and the only thing I felt was the hole in my wallet. I'm not going to buy them again; they cost 7 times more than stock, but do they last 7 times longer as well? Save your money, since there is no performance advantage. Platinum plugs are a blessing for extremely hard to reach spark plugs; not the case in the busa.

Not to start a argument but take a look next time you are at a dragstrip where top fuel,funny bike or pro-mod runs....bet autolites will out number all others 10 to 1. Because the tip on a NGK sucks...it will melt...been there and done that.........

CR9EK dual electrode NGK`s have over 45,000 miles of driving time on these plugs on various bikes including my Busa.Please dont start with the "it takes more power to fire these things crap"unless you have an electrical engineering degree.Then you wouldnt say that because you would know that they dont!

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 18 May 2000).]

The shop manual lists 3 different heat range plugs depending on the color of the existing electrode. I don't know the PN's off hand and I'll be away from my manual for the next 4 days.

Can someone with a manual nearby help him out?

I personally have never had trouble with autolites fouling...maybe someone else has? I run them now in my busa`s with no problems at all. For the money its just hard to pay 5 bucks for a NGK when a autolite is around a buck and some change. If I had a fouling problem I personally would be looking somewhere other than the plugs. Which probably goes back to your comment on harsh enviroments...I had lean out problems which was not really the NGK fault but a autolite lived with no burned tips. I guess everyone has a opinion on plugs thats just mine.....

Hey you plug experts: Lyle had an interesting comment, and I find that on every vehicle I've owned. When do you justify the "cold" or "hot" plugs mentioned on the manuals? What are the conditions/symptoms to consider a change?
Stock NGKs are $2, not $5.

Well I thought that if you were a slow speed kind of guy and you did a lot of city driving you would use a hotter plug to prevent carbon fouling And if you did alot of highspeed driving with little idle time you would use the colder plug.

CBXChris, that's true for the extreme environment those classes have (combustion chamber), but the Busa stock or mildly modified doesn't have the same concerns. The Autolite has been proven the be the ONLY plug to last a race in those bikes, but the Busa would benefit from a plug that doesn't foul more than anything. Your thoughts?

Back