NGK Iridium Spark Plug Facts

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hello all,

I have been looking all over the board for an answer to my question. I did not want to post a question if I did not have to. After not being able to find what I was looking for, I finally contacted a NGK technical support representative. I figured there are more people wondering this same questions I had. So I figured I would post them up here for all of us to have clarification on.

Below is the email I sent NGK with the response from the tech rep. I don't know if this should be pinned or not but I figured the validity of this response is stronger than hear-say.

My Message:
"VehicleType: Motorcycle
Make: Suzuki
Model: GSX1300R
Year: 2007
Engine Type: 1300CC DOHC 4cyl
Comments: Hi,

My question is about your product, NGK Iridium IX CR9EIX. I own a 2007 Suzuki
Hayabusa (GSX1300R) which I will be replacing my OEM spark plugs with the
CR9EIX. My question is in two parts.

Question one is pertaining to applying anti-seize lube to the threads of the
spark plug upon installation. Is this required with your product, or just a
recommendation?

Question two is about gapping the spark plugs. Is this a requirement or a
recommendation?

Please include as much information as you can to help better my understanding on
this topic.

V/R

Rob"

Response:

"Hello,

With all NGK plugs its recommended to install the plugs dry, especially on the
small 10mm diameter plugs like this one. Our plugs have a special Zinc metal
plating on them that's designed to resist corrosion and prevent seizure to the
cylinder head. Just be sure to tighten the plugs to 7.2-8.7lb-ft or use the
angle method listed on the box and you'll be good to go.

For this application the recommended gap is .028" and the CR9EIX is factory set
to .032" so you may want to close the gap for the best performance and longest
service life. When gapping an iridium plug be sure not to apply any pressure to
the center electrode, only the ground electrode (j-piece) should be touched.
Hope this helps, thank you.

Regards,

Brandon Peeler

Technical Support Representative

Aftermarket Division

NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), INC.

46929 Magellan Dr.

Wixom, MI 48393

http://my.artoffast.com/NGKTECH"

So there you have it. I hope this provides clarification for those of us out there that had this same question in mind.

V/R

Rob

Do you have an application chart, Or does this # fit Gen2 also? I had them in my last bike for over 26,000 miles and they still looked new.

I have a set of those plugs in my 07 and I still used a dab of anti-sieze on them but did not gap them. The plugs have been checked since the initial install and nothing has changed. It was recently dynoed and horsepower/torgue is about where it should be with the mods that have been done to the motor...

I installed the new plugs last night and tested everything out today. The new plugs seemed to have provided a freshened feel to the bike. The throttle is a tad smoother as well as the idle is smoother. Just wanted to share with everyone what the new plugs provided.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a set of those plugs in my 07 and I still used a dab of anti-sieze on them but did not gap them. The plugs have been checked since the initial install and nothing has changed. It was recently dynoed and horsepower/torgue is about where it should be with the mods that have been done to the motor...

I use the factory gap and also use a little (very little) anti-seize.
Those plugs should last several years and I pull them every year to inspect, and the coating will wear off IMO.
HINT: don't torque them to the same tightness if you use anti-seize. :whistle:

The attached document from NGK tells that anti-seize should be used if the plug is removed and re-installed.

For spark plugs with special metal plating; do not use anti-seize on the initial installation.
If a spark plug with special metal plating is removed and re-installed, only then should anti-seize be used prior to “re-installation”.

Attachments

• NGK Anti-Seize on Spark Plugs.pdf
    86.1 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Back