What does 650hp look like?

I've got a 2012 base gt with 5.0 manual for 28k.

I would want the auto, they are wayyy less trouble. Thats my only beef with the new ones is the junk chinese manual.

For me to get one right now id have to sell my 04 cobra, that ain't happening lol

Zl1 ain't doing 200. And I don't believe it's anywhere near 650hp?
Also on the paint, this is only one of many available. Kinda sleeperish it is.
650hp, 200mph for 50k what other car comes close?

Cadillac ct v. Is close in price and tops out at 180 mph. Awesome style and way more luxury. I guess it's no 650 hp.

Also I figured you would have sold it by now. :p. you spending to much time "test driving"?

Zl1 ain't doing 200. And I don't believe it's anywhere near 650hp?
Also on the paint, this is only one of many available. Kinda sleeperish it is.
650hp, 200mph for 50k what other car comes close?

I hear ya... but um... its like arguing about if the zx14 or the busa is faster :poke: Most folks that actually own them run out of skill, road and balls long before 200 :laugh:

I hear ya... but um... its like arguing about if the zx14 or the busa is faster :poke: Most folks that actually own them run out of skill, road and balls long before 200 :laugh:

I agree. Don't know why but I feel 'safer' on my Busa which is also built for speed at 180 than I do in cars?
And I've driven Astons and the like at speed. Bikes still instill more confidence straigh line speed to me?

wonder how fast a ZL1 would be @ 650hp :whistle:

Maybe so but a couple simple mods like a different pulley is gonna easily give this beast 700+.
There will be low modded 800+ hp Shelbys out there very soon.
Take that Chevy luva :poke:

Try to find one at sticker price, most dealers add 20.000 on. From what I've read in the car mag's breaks are an issue and they got close to 200, 196, but none have made it yet. still one fine car.

The braking issue I think is due to journalists overdriving their skill level. Brakes aren't really issue on any model why all of a sudden?

Things got MASSIVE rotors with Brembo calipers. Don't see how anyone could fault the brakes?
I agree with the above. Most likely a journalist got scared cuz he went too fast and couldn't stop quick enough to get out and pee :laugh:

Does the GT500 have an answer to this video? The only video I've seen of the GT500 on this track was in the rain, so there's really no comparison to be made. Can the Mustang keep all those horses under control enough to make a lap like this? Serious question, not poking at the Ford.

I haven't read that article before, but this quote is exactly what I was getting at.

"To be clear, the Mustang never tried to get away from us, but there was always a niggling suspicion it might. Hit a bump under any condition, be it acceleration, cornering, or braking, and that live rear axle begins dancing around, undermining driver confidence and slowing you down. We also noticed the brakes lose some of their initial bite as they heated up, a problem that later came back to haunt the Shelby.

The ZL1, by virtue of its independent suspension and magnetic shocks, did not suffer this problem. Rather, it was planted and confident, never dancing over the bumps or otherwise testing the driver's resolve. Whereas the GT500 was work to drive hard, the Camaro made you feel like a hero, encouraging you to push ever harder. Drivers of both cars will have fun, but the ZL1 driver won't be sweating at the end of the road."

Of course, I'll need to drive both cars for verification purposes. :laugh:

both the ZL1 and GT500 are heavy but when a sports car (ZL1) weighs 4120 lbs its a PIG. thats just waaaaaay too heavy for a sports car.

I know a couple ppl who traded their GT500 (not a 2013) in for the Coyote since it weighs like 300 lbs less and that would be like 600 lbs less then the ZL1.

ZL1 does not have an answer for this

Ford Shelby GT500 Chases 200 MPH! - Ignition Episode 18 - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
ZL1 does not have an answer for this

[URL="
Ford Shelby GT500 Chases 200 MPH! - Ignition Episode 18 - YouTube[/URL]

Nope, you're right. It all depends on what you want for your money. Where am I going to use all that speed though? Not on a racetrack, or a drag strip, or the street. LSR maybe? I would guess that the 200 number is more often used for bragging rights rather than actual performance. Personally, I'd rather have more control and truly usable power than bigger numbers and less driveability.

Again, though, it's all about which features and abilities each customer values. :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember them saying the same thing about the Busa when it was first released.

I also remember hearing it about the Busa. I think it's different with a car though. With a bike you can hit those big numbers in relatively short distances, and the power is controllable and usable. I just keep getting the impression that's not the case with the GT500. I think in the real world, both cars must be a lot of fun, but when it's time to go to the track, it seems like the ZL1 would offer a more enjoyable experience.

All this said, I've driven neither of them. :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

I also remember hearing it about the Busa. I think it's different with a car though. With a bike you can hit those big numbers in relatively short distances, and the power is controllable and usable. I just keep getting the impression that's not the case with the GT500. I think in the real world, both cars must be a lot of fun, but when it's time to go to the track, it seems like the ZL1 would offer a more enjoyable experience.

All this said, I've driven neither of them. :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

The magnetic ride control and irs make it an easier car to drive, wether it performs better in the hands of a pro is (last I've read) yet to be seen.

Mustangs always been a drivers car, but there are spy photos of a mustang prototype with irs. While I hate to see the live able go I understand why it's going.

So everything I have read about the gt500 the brakes are awesome until you get a couple hot laps on those rotors. The mustang I guess has no duct work to bring air in to take away all that heat so you start getting the brakes to fade bad. Easy fix in my mind. Also if I'm buying either car knowing myself its not going to an Autocross track so the IRS vs live axle doesn't matter to me. If I could I would buy the gt500 because I have always been a Shelby fan. So to me with this being the most powerful Shelby ever and that he died this year I would buy the mustang.

Back