What do you have in your electrical kit?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
I have my own business supplying electrical connectors and fasteners throughout the industrial electrical industry. I am considering trying to put together a wiring kit that might appeal to the amateur bike enthusiast such as the great people that frequent these boards. If the idea were to turn into something worthy of sale, I would contact Captain and talk about sponsorship.

To see if this is worth pursuing, I was curious to know what basic equipment you guys liked and what you might like to see included in such a kit. I'm trying to keep it around $25, so keep that in mind.

Wire preference: Color_________ Gauge __________ Stranding ____________ Single run or dbl (like speaker wire)
Wire connectors: Butt, quick disconnect, tap and run, mechanical, solder, crimp, etc?
Crimp Tool? Would you want one? What kind?
Wire stripper? Same as above.
Cable ties Black, white, both? Neon? Tie mounts?

If you can think of anything else that might be in this same line of products, let me know. i don't get into fuses, but it might be necessary to complete the line.
Electrical tape? Black or colors? 3/4" wide or 1/2"

Last edited:
I don't know if a "kit" would really fly well. I think there are two groups of people messing with the electrical systems. The novice and then the more advanced.

I know for me I use alot of 18-22awg wire and some 12-14awg. I normaly use 125c insulated wire (mil spec vs SAE J1128 spec). As for connectors I try to use Deutsche connectors either 2 or 4-pin when possible. Lemo connectors for sensors/datalogger and a few weather pack connectors. For terminal ends I stick with uninsulted d-rings. As for tie I use nylon ties with a metal catch.

Commuta, I do this for a living and you just lost me in the terminology! :p

But in all fairness, I don't mess with European or industry specific automotive connectors. But your advice may not be far off, as you have proven yourself by demonstrating that one person's idea of an electrical connector is different from the next.

It was a thought...I'm always looking for ways to turn my dollars. :)

Thanks for the input.

FYI, those steel barb ties....they still break at 50 lbs. ;) Sorry, my salesman side creeps out every now and then. :laugh:

Last edited:
make a replacment for an 06 busa that attaches the wiring harness to the guage cluster so i dont have to buy a whole new wiring harness for $580 when i need a part that might cost them half a cent to make:banghead:

We've all got to find different angles to make a few extra and get things going. :beerchug: Focusing in an area that your experienced is always the best approach. :thumbsup:

Good luck and don't be discouraged by just one persons reply. Your kit may not work for me but there may be others that are crying over the frustrations of getting all of the electrical spaghetti mess in order. :beerchug:

Back