Finally got the HID kit installed!!!

Zoinks!

Registered
I finally got the HID kit installed in the bike.  Can't wait to get it out on the road and test it out.  Here's how I did it.

First, things first.  Make sure everything's there.
HIDInstall0012.jpg

Black arrow: Ballast power cable, Red arrow: HID Bulb, Green Arrow: Ignighter, Blue arrow: Ballast.

The first thing I noticed when I put the bulb in the headlight housing was that the spring to hold the bulb down didn't contact the HID bulb hardly at all:
HIDInstall0112.jpg

To fix this issue, first pry the stock bulb out of the adapter with a screwdriver:
HIDInstall0062.jpg

Then, using a hacksaw, cut the base off the adapter:
HIDInstall0052.jpg

Notice the tabs left over.  Break these tabs off and slightly enlarge the hole so it will fit over the HID bulb.
HIDInstall0072.jpg

Slide the base over bulb and attach the hold down spring:
HIDInstall0172.jpg

Now, since the adapter we just cut up is what suzuki used to seal the dust/water cover to the bulb, we need to replace it with something.  I'm sure there are much better ways to do this, but this is what I did using things I had in the garage.  (didn't wanna spend much more than I had to)

I started with a rubber piece from a sway bar end link:
HIDInstall20222.jpg

Cut it down so it will fit into the hole in the dust cover:
HIDInstall20232.jpg

Cut a slit in it so you can slide it over the wires:
HIDInstall20242.jpg

Sand it down to smooth it out so it'll fit tightly against the dust cover:
HIDInstall20322.jpg

Slide it over the wires and insert it into the dust cover (these next few pics were taken on a test fit before it was sanded):
HIDInstall20272.jpg

Push it down till it's flush with the back of the dust cover:
HIDInstall20302.jpg

Next, install the dust cover on the headlight housing:
HIDInstall20312.jpg

I used window and door caulk to seal the hole in the end link rubber:
HIDInstall20352.jpg

HIDInstall20372.jpg

Now for the wiring of the relay.  First, install a female blade connector on the orange wire, a male blade on the black with white stripe, combine the red and yellow wires in a male blade, use a ring terminal on the black wire, and isolate the brown wire (this wire is not used)
HIDInstall20392.jpg

Connect the orange wire from the relay to the white wire from the ballast.
HIDInstall20422.jpg

Cut a section of wire the same length as the relay wires and install a female blade on one end and a ring terminal on the other:
HIDInstall20432.jpg

HIDInstall20482.jpg

Connect this wire to the black wire from the ballast and encase with heat shrink:
HIDInstall20442.jpg

HIDInstall20472.jpg

Next, cut off the headlight connector and install female blade connectors on each wire:
HIDInstall20532.jpg

Connect the red/yellow wires from the relay with the white wire from the headlight circuit, and connect the black with white stripe to the black wire from the headlight circuit, then cover both connections with heat shrink.  This before and after in the same picture:
HIDInstall20562.jpg

Bundle the wires together and tie together.  Remember to leave the black wire from the ballast by itself:
HIDInstall20572.jpg

Install the harness back in the cowl, secure all the extra wires.  Velcro the relay to the cowl where the blue arrow is.  I installed it where it is in the picture and it was too high.  It hit the frame around the cluster.  Lowering it to where to arrow points will fix this problem.  Velcro the ignighter on the side of the headlight housing where the green arrow points.  I forgot to take a picture after installing it:
HIDInstall20592.jpg

Attach the ballast with velcro and a vacuume drive belt to the right air intake tube.  (I used a belt for an oreck xl)
HIDInstall20162.jpg

Add the ring terminals to the mounting bolt for the right side intake tube. (these are the black wire from the ballast, and the black wire from the relay) Also, make sure that the ring terminals are between the plastic of the tube and the HEAD of the mounting bolt.  Otherwise you won't have any ground.
HIDInstall20142.jpg

Here's a view of where I mounted the ignighter.
HIDInstall20122.jpg

And the finished product!!!
HIDInstall20062.jpg

HIDInstall20012.jpg

Here's a diagram of how to wire the relay.  "bike" refers to the headlight connector wires and "bal" reffers to the ballast wires.
528twiring2.jpg

I made that all in one post, so use this one to reply to so they're not rediculously long. Lol.

Sweet. looks great; very detailed commentary, too.

Thanks!

Nice commentary. This is the mod I like best! I put the 5k light in mine and will never go back.

Thanks so much! I just got my XenonKing box in the mail so I'm so appreciative that you documented the install. Another wrenching project! Raydog

Hey, would one of the moderators be so kind as to pin this thread in the appropriate forum, whether that this one or another one? It seems that a lot of ppl are interested in this mod, and I think it would help a lot of the guys out so they don't have to go searchin the board for a step by step to aid them with their install.

Hey, would one of the moderators be so kind as to pin this thread in the appropriate forum, whether that this one or another one?  It seems that a lot of ppl are interested in this mod, and I think it would help a lot of the guys out so they don't have to go searchin the board for a step by step to aid them with their install.
+1 on my list of things to do and i dont think there could be a better commentary
clap.gif

good job bro, and thank you

I am not a big fan of using plastic attachment points for grounds.. I would use a dedicated point for a ground myself

I am not a big fan of using plastic attachment points for grounds.. I would use a dedicated point for a ground myself
It's a perfectly good ground. The bolt goes into the frame. . . What better ground could there be? You just have to make sure you put the ring terminals between the intake tube and the head of the bolt (as explained) so that you get your ground through the head of the bolt. I tested the ground with a test light and a volt meter before making the decision to use that point, and it checked out as a perfectly good ground. I'm not using plastic, I'm using the frame, and a metal bolt. . . It's no different than if the plastic wasn't there, and it obvously worked. . .

WOW!!

Glad I got the Xentec 8000k...pretty much plug and play here...you did a nice job wih what you had to work with.

It's a perfectly good ground. The bolt goes into the frame. . . What better ground could there be? You just have to make sure you put the ring terminals between the intake tube and the head of the bolt (as explained) so that you get your ground through the head of the bolt. I tested the ground with a test light and a volt meter before making the decision to use that point, and it checked out as a perfectly good ground. I'm not using plastic, I'm using the frame, and a metal bolt. . . It's no different than if the plastic wasn't there, and it obvously worked. . .
Running any ground wire with a screw, and with compressible media (plastic) water will get between the screw head and the terminal.. the plastic compresses over time and it will allow water between the screw head and the terminal... You just can not get it tight enough to avoid the moisture issue..

I would take and set a self tapper or a 1/4 bolt through the flat frame member. How many door panel or kick panels have you seen with screws and ground wires?

Just trying to head off a problem that will haunt you... Doyle and Chris will vouch for my headlight problem
smile.gif
really dumb mistake and a hassle to fix later (finding issue)

Just thought id throw a comment or 2 in there. There was really no need to but anything for the spring to hold the light down. Thats what the black foam on the light is supposed to be used for. Secondly, why are you grouding your light system. It's independently run from auxiliary. ?? Just thought i'd ask, to see your point of view for installation. Other than that man, that looks nice with the white paint scheme.
beerchug.gif

WOW!!

Glad I got the Xentec 8000k...pretty much plug and play here...you did a nice job wih what you had to work with.
Yeah +1

I used a DDM kit.
Again pretty much, unplug the headlight,
install the HID.
Plug the ballast into the socket and the igniter on to the light and,...
Tah Dah.

clap.gif
Still though,

a very thorough job with your kit.

Just thought id throw a comment or 2 in there. There was really no need to but anything for the spring to hold the light down. Thats what the black foam on the light is supposed to be used for. Secondly, why are you grouding your light system. It's independently run from auxiliary. ?? Just thought i'd ask, to see your point of view for installation. Other than that man, that looks nice with the white paint scheme.
beerchug.gif
I thought the ground was for the delay timer?

Was not busting his chops on the ground.. just that I did the same thing and it did not work very after chasing Doyle 700 miles in the rain
laugh.gif

Nice install job...

WOW!!

Yeah +1

I used a DDM kit.
Again pretty much, unplug the headlight,
install the HID.
Plug the ballast into the socket and the igniter on to the light and,...
Tah Dah.

clap.gif
 Still though,

a very thorough job with your kit.
I didn't know they made HID'S that easy. Guess I'll stop putting them off
thumb_up.gif

Back