What do you guys think?

07vigorblue

Donating Member
Registered
I have been wanting to start my own performace shop for years. Since i bought my Busa i have been want to do both cars and bikes. I have recently stumbled across the perfect shop at a good price i hope (going to talk to the owner tommorow). My plan is to start out by selling new bikes, accessories, apperal, and do service and some custom work. Then once i have enough sales and profit coming in i will add the car section of the shop. So here is my ? Should i start now or should i wait and have it ready to roll at the beginning of the next riding season or get it started now!

You may want to get an early start, get all the details ironed out so when riding season starts you'll be up and running. Get your ads out there. Good luck to you and congratulations.:thumbsup:

The smart people get their bike work done in the "off-season" but there's some not so smart riders I know that wait until Apr/May and end up losing half their riding season because their bike is torn apart waiting for mods/upgrades to get completed. If you do open now make sure to promote off-season work to keep their riding season intact. Hopefully that will help draw more business in your first few months. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck with it. I have to agree that now would be a good time as far as riding season and all. But I worry for you because people just don't have a lot of money to spend on extras right now.

I imagine this is a very big decision. Having been a small business owner I can tell you it was the hardest thing I've done to date. However very rewarding. Unfortunately, my dreams did not end the way I wanted them to, so I wish you the best of luck :thumbsup:

A few questions: Are you the only tech that will be performing the service work?
Will you need to hire and put additional employees on your payroll?
My guess is you will need excellent credit and some deep credit cards to be able to open specific accounts for accessories & apparel.
Obviously you will need to look at your overhead cost vs. a realistic projection of your 1st 6-12months of incoming revenue.
If you have a CPA or an accountant. I highly recommend you speak w/ them & ask if they work w/ The Leader in the Financial Analysis of Privately-Held Companies ? Sageworks
This is a great tool for them to use in order to show you relative income projections and local or same sized national competition.

Anyways...just trying to help. Again...good luck

Last edited:
Most guys do their custom work during the winter. If you start now you will be ready for the Cold Rush:thumbsup:

speed shops are built on the guy doing the work.... you need some cred to get the good jobs.. (and they are not all that common)

Word of mouth is the best way and it can take years to build a clientele..

IF I EVER open another shop? I would forego the speed/custom and go with oil changes and tires... It gets really old hiring guys, training them to do custom work and then they leave to start their own biz... (they usually go belly up in the first year but you still have to replace the guy)...

It is fun work but a real PITA to make a "good" living at... 12-16 hour days are the norm..

I will be doing all the all the work my self untill i get too overwhelmed and have to hire a couple hands. My wife and her brother are going to take care of the sales of the bikes and accessories and keep the invetory in check. Money is not an issue as i do have the fnds and can get more if needed.

I agree with others, open at the end of this season as long as u got everything in order, cuz the off season will be ur busiest.

Well Like usuall my plans get squashed! I talked to the shop owner today and all is good. I was gonna get the shop for $600 a month 3000 sq ft. Awsome deal too good to pass up. So i was all excited all i need was my tax id, dealer liscense and buy some invetory and i'm ready to go. Well on my way to work i get a phone call but i couldnt answer cuz i was on the busa so i get to work and it was work that called. They want the wife to come back to work ASAP. Then POOF!! my dreams dissapear because i cant run the shop by my self because the hours i work at my current job. I cant afford to quit so i'm screwed either way :banghead:

600.00 month rent ?? Do it part time, till you build a client base. That rent is dirt cheap if it is in a good area ! :thumbsup:

Get started now but do not depend on making anything yet. You want to get into it as people stop riding not start riding.

I have been wanting to start my own performace shop for years. Since i bought my Busa i have been want to do both cars and bikes. I have recently stumbled across the perfect shop at a good price i hope (going to talk to the owner tommorow). My plan is to start out by selling new bikes, accessories, apperal, and do service and some custom work. Then once i have enough sales and profit coming in i will add the car section of the shop. So here is my ? Should i start now or should i wait and have it ready to roll at the beginning of the next riding season or get it started now!

it just keeps getting worse lol i cant win for nothin. Now i might be getting transfered to a different department and they are working 6-7 days a week and 12 hours a day :banghead:

Back