What bothers you the most when riding in groups?

I love everyone... So, I tend to forgive most things... But, this one time, my buddy Chris had the runs and we stopped at every rest-stop, restaurant, johnny-on-the-spot, etc. to allow nature to take its course. Of course I can't fault him for this.

Although... I am a bit uncomfortable when someone rides wheelies right next to me and/or in a pack... This kid (20 YO) was riding with us one time and he rides wheelies every friggin' 20 seconds... I have to give him props, because he can ride a wheelie out and through 3 or 4 gears... But, it is disconcerting having him almost ram someone else in a tight pack!

One more (boy, for someone who is loving and forgiving...) I dislike when someone has a "point" to prove and rides your ass. I have a buddy who I normally leave in the dust (see above comment about diarreah, since he is one in the same)... Anyway, ocassionally I feel like slowing down a hair and he feels that it is his opportunity to prove he is as fast if not faster than me by riding my ass in the twisties!

Ok, I am done. Now I wish the weather was warmer, so I could enjoy some of those things I don't like!
cool.gif

All of my group riding has been with the Harley crowd, so we're NEVER going more than 10mph over the speed limit, and I have yet to see ANYONE doing wheelies or stoppies. I would be very impressed though.
laugh.gif

Groups are okay for freeway rides, and major highways, but the twisty roads get congested pretty quick. The HOG chapter is good about riding staggered and people usually leave plenty of room for each other, but the slingshot effect gets old pretty quick.

I like solo rides most of the time for the freedom as was stated earlier.

I usually only ride with one other person. I just don't trust many folks.

The worst is following folks in the twisties that have developed a rather passive riding style and do not use their brakes, just engine braking...  Makes it nearly impossible to predict what is coming up corner wise.  Next thing you know you are all the ass end of the guy in front, then you have to brake harder, later than you intended, sorta screws up your line, and timing.  

OH OH and when following, all the road grime that gets fed to your bike...
So that's why you don't come out & play anymore.
wow.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Just kidding.

The worst is following folks in the twisties that have developed a rather passive riding style and do not use their brakes, just engine braking...  Makes it nearly impossible to predict what is coming up corner wise.  Next thing you know you are all the ass end of the guy in front, then you have to brake harder, later than you intended, sorta screws up your line, and timing.  

OH OH and when following, all the road grime that gets fed to your bike...
So that's why you don't come out & play anymore.
wow.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Just kidding.
NO WAY, Seriously man I have been feeling pretty bad about this for awhile. I have been so screwed at work it's lost all hope of managability. What's killing me is that the project I ahve been working on is a career hinging kinda thing but I cannot work on it during the day at the office. The work is for a seperate client so even though I may not have all that much to do at my 7-4 job, I cannot work on what I really have to work on... killing me. I got an extension till the 15th of this month so hopefully, I will be FREE!!!!

You can bet your ass I will be calling to come out to play... Yeah you use a lot of engine braking but you weren't who I was thinking about while writing. I was thinking about a buddy back home, he rides well but seems to completely ignore the whole braking thing, and solely relies on engine braking... I would spend hourse on end running hot up onto his fender, then spend the rest of the corner attempting to gather everything up...

You'll be hearing from me...

I have found that all the negatives about group riding make me avoid doing it, except for a couple guys who know each other very well and have the same mental capacity as me. Too many other attitudes and or skill levels out there for me.

Riding with a small group that you know can be a lot of fun. You get to know every one elses style of riding and can have a pretty good idea of what there going to do. However, I try to ride in the back if I riding with a group for the first time.

Rev... easy boy... I was just kidding.
But ya may wanna think about just a small spin..
Ya know just to release some O dat tension
wink.gif

Riding with a small group that you know can be a lot of fun. [/QUOTE]
What he said....
As for no-no's

On the freeway:
* stunting in groups.
* leading too fast --> tickets.
* leader not signaling lane changes/exits.
* not pointing foot to debris.

At the strip
* failure to congratulate opponent, win or lose.

In the mtns.
* not pointing foot to debris.
* following too close.
* leaving turn signal on.
* spitting tobacco
biggrin.gif

Steve C.

I've only ridden with other 'Busa riders except for one time with my neighbor's friends. One guy on a Ducati was slow in the turns but wouldn't let me pass when we got to the straights. He would jump on the gas as soon as we exited a turn and the straights weren't long enough for me to come around before he "closed the door" on the inside going into the next turn. DoooD! your slow, let the faster riders pass! I never rode with those guys again.

The best rides are with the .org people from here. We fall right into a stagger, don't follow too close, let people pass, pass carefully, wait patiently, don't make people wait, Everbody gases up, and respect each other's abilities.

I ride almost exclusively alone. I work nights so I can't make the early Sun a.m. rides. Most of the time if I come up on a stopped group, they want me to go first. I don't know why...

Back