What’s the labor rate where you are?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I’m having the valves checked for the first time on my Kawasaki and called around for labor rates including the dealer where I bought it. They were the most expensive @ $160 an hour! The ‘book’ calls for six hours but that includes cam removal if necessary. I found a multi brand dealer about the same distance away for $110 an hour, saving me over $300. Man, $160 an hour! Wonder they pay their mechanics.

30 to 45 and hour is tech pay on flag hours . Good tech do your job in 3 or 4 hours but you will be billed what Kaw calls for .
I've seen 150 and up here . A 2016 Gold wing dealers wanted 275 labor to change tires on bike .
Wing is pretty easy , and took me a tick over an hour . I made $125 on the job . Guy payed me more than my rate @ $55 hr
because he didnt feel raped by dealer , and I taught him about his bike. Also got to see his bike serviced , and not damaged .

Around here is around 125-150 for most dealers, in my shop I charge 75 an hour but I ain't airways use book time I use my time which fits back and forth as to if I'm getting the better end or not. As far as tires that @c10 brought up I charge 50 a tire off the bike and that includes mount ,balance , new valve stem and tire disposal and charge 90 for the same stuff if the tire is on the bike.

I can't remember the last time i had a dealer or anyone else work on my bikes. So my cost per hour is how much it has cost me over the years to build up my workshop and tools. Most parts are just plug and play these days and you can pick them up cheap used if you know what your looking for.

When doing shims, tipex is your friend.

You will be better off finding an independent garage to do the work as there prices will be a lot lower than the main dealer.
But if you have a manual, tools and time. Have a go at doing it yourself, its not that hard to do on any bike, just don't rush and take photos to help you along the way.
Also if you cant do it yourself, trailer the bike to whoever is doing the work. So you can part strip the bike yourself to save on the time they need to spend doing the job.

I can't remember the last time i had a dealer or anyone else work on my bikes. So my cost per hour is how much it has cost me over the years to build up my workshop and tools. Most parts are just plug and play these days and you can pick them up cheap used if you know what your looking for.

When doing shims, tipex is your friend.

You will be better off finding an independent garage to do the work as there prices will be a lot lower than the main dealer.
But if you have a manual, tools and time. Have a go at doing it yourself, its not that hard to do on any bike, just don't rush and take photos to help you along the way.
Also if you cant do it yourself, trailer the bike to whoever is doing the work. So you can part strip the bike yourself to save on the time they need to spend doing the job.
like I keep repeating

Get the manual and FOLLOW ONE STEP AT A TIME

I mean every thing book says remove air box,,,,,turn to those pages and follow step by step
then remove valve cover turn to those pages and follow one step at a time

Don't read ahead and think you know
Follow the book

most can at least CHECK the valves

like I keep repeating

Get the manual and FOLLOW ONE STEP AT A TIME

I mean every thing book says remove air box,,,,,turn to those pages and follow step by step
then remove valve cover turn to those pages and follow one step at a time

Don't read ahead and think you know
Follow the book

most can at least CHECK the valves
Hi. WOW When I started working on cars labor rate was $12.00 an hr. One car I did the motor was a V 12 Lanborghini.

Back