Weight limit?

Towboater68

Registered
Ok I'm 6' 4" and 315lbs. I am new owner on a 06 busa and I love the bike but my question is sometimes at higher speeds it feels kind of loose on rear end. Just a thought... Am I over a weight limit for higher speeds? It does good crusing around and even getting on it around town but on interstate at 80+ just kind of feels weird. Never had bike feel like this. Ideas?

Upgraded suspension, fork springs and rear shock. Then set the sag, not cheap but problem solved.:beerchug:

I'm putting it in shop to get total check and tuneup plus the previous owner took one of the discs off the front to show off chrome wheels better but I'd rather have it on lol

At 315 lbs you aren't over the bike's weight limit for rider and passenger, but you are very heavy for just the rider. It sounds as if the suspension is just set way too soft, but at your weight the stock suspension will not perform ideally.:beerchug:

What year is your bike? I can only speak for 08 and newer, but something is very wrong if it's doing that. Even with the stock suspension at stock settings plus your weight, this should not happen. I'm a big guy too, so I'm speaking from experience. This bike should not feel "weird" at any speed. Especially at highway speeds and above, it should feel extremely stable and very solid. Something is wrong with your ride.

How is your suspension set? Is it stock or modified? Extended swingarm and/or fat tire? How are the front and rear wheel bearings? Do you have all of the wheel axle spacers installed properly? It could be caused by multiple issues, but it definitely is not normal and sounds like a safety issue. Be careful.

I'd check it over good, you're not that much heavier than me and I do a lot of two up with a passenger that goes around 140 over the rear tire.

It sounds as simple as low air pressure in rear tire. Make sure you have something around 42 pounds.

anyone know what the limit would be? not riding hard but if i want to take my fiancé for a few day trip, I'm 240 plus gear i would say 250lbs and she would be about 150 with gear. then what about clothes and supplies?

Just had a light bulb moment. Towboater, what year is your bike? If you have an aluminum subframe, it could be cracked or broken.

anyone know what the limit would be? not riding hard but if i want to take my fiancé for a few day trip, I'm 240 plus gear i would say 250lbs and she would be about 150 with gear. then what about clothes and supplies?

You're good to go. I wouldn't do it on one of the old aluminum subframes, but you're fine other than that. Between rider, passenger, and luggage, my Gen II carries 500 pounds fully loaded. We have done many miles that way and never had a single issue. Get the tire pressure up toward factory spec and hit the road. :thumbsup:

You are fully with in the weight for bike capacity. You may need to adjust the suspension to you, and depending on year age replace/rebuild suspension. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Also get the front rotor back on your bike. I would say the problem maybe to loose a suspension or low tire inflation, also if it has chrome wheels make sure they balanced the wheels.

Gluck yo

I'll check, but I'm thinking 985 pounds for Gen II

I'm pretty sure the aluminum subframe was only on 99 and 00 bikes. Someone double check me on that.

I'm putting it in shop to get total check and tuneup plus the previous owner took one of the discs off the front to show off chrome wheels better but I'd rather have it on lol
Get her checked out, like everyone else has said something isn't right. I've had my 04 way into triple digits with more weight than that and its as stable as it gets. Thats with the stock factory suspension settings too :laugh:
The busa is known for its high speed stability...the faster you go the more stable it seems to get. It makes crazy speeds seem slow :laugh:

I don't know......................???

post-13-30710-fatty.jpg

Keep in mind the bikes default suspension setup is for something like a 160 Lb guy. You need to adjust your suspension for your weight, and it will handle way better. If you have not adjusted from the stock settings, that is your problem right there.

Keep in mind the bikes default suspension setup is for something like a 160 Lb guy. You need to adjust your suspension for your weight, and it will handle way better. If you have not adjusted from the stock settings, that is your problem right there.

I agree that the suspension needs to be adjusted/upgraded, but that is not the issue here. The OP and I are in a similar weight class, and I can assure you that the default suspension settings will not cause this problem. This would be an issue in the twisties, but not on the interstate like the OP is describing.

The bike is 2006 model. The only upgrades are exhaust and rims. I at work for another month but as soon as I get in I am taking it to dealer to get completely serviced and will get them to stiffen suspension some. The bike only has 15k miles so I wouldn't think it needs need suspension at this point but will be asking for suggestions on what kind to get if I go that route. Thanks

You can put 400 lbs on it and take it up to 160mph and it should be butter smooth. Stock suspension settings will not cause any problems. The mighty Busa can handle it with ease.

The bike is 2006 model. The only upgrades are exhaust and rims. I at work for another month but as soon as I get in I am taking it to dealer to get completely serviced and will get them to stiffen suspension some. The bike only has 15k miles so I wouldn't think it needs need suspension at this point but will be asking for suggestions on what kind to get if I go that route. Thanks

Maybe you'll spend a second and check that rear tire pressure :dunno:

Back