Weather Where You Are

I figure I have a 2 week window to ride....then the bike goes into its 6 1/2 month hibernation...

That's reason enough for me to not buy a new, expensive bike just to have it sit for more than half a year.

I play that game of if I get a nice day, I also have yard work to get done before the snow hits...

Frost overnight soon I will be putting the Busa to rest over the winter .One more bike night to go to and maybe another sport bike run .
Time will tell .

7F89288E-5CBB-45F4-B5EE-6BB1CC6EA33E.jpeg

29'F out there right now with a heavy frost cover....it's all white out there.... and it looks like a frost fog has rolled in.

The weather morons say it's supposed to get to 65'F later on so I might be able to get the 'ol Bumblebee out for a last sniff at the flowers.

Sometimes we get decent weather in October, I've ridden into November some years....it seems this won't be one of those years...

The good to great weather season is upon us here in southern California. Put on all the gear you like and ride in comfort knowing that you have everything covered that matters.
Crazy how you're saying good to great while here on the east coast, we are starting to see 40 degree weather. Getting too cold to ride.

Crazy how you're saying good to great while here on the east coast, we are starting to see 40 degree weather. Getting too cold to ride.
I lived in Minnesota, Wyoming and Utah for much of my life. I know all about cold weather riding. One time when I lived in Northern California ( Clear Lake ) I got caught in Reno Nevada when it snowed. I spent the night in town and then ventured out over Donners pass the next morning on my V65 Honda Sabre. It was a bright sunny day and the hard packed snow gave me enough confidence to get up to about 35 mph. It was a relief to ride on wet roads as the elevation dropped and the snow had melted away.

We will get some cold weather in December and January like high twenties in the early morning but warming to the 50s later in the day. I have commuted to work many times in the mid 30s since picking up the Concours some time ago. Heated grips, full fairing, leather Hien Garrick pants over blue jeans, and work boots works well. Sometimes I wrap a microfiber towel around my neck area and that seems to help a bit on the back of my neck. The only cold part is the back of my hands buts it still tolerable.

Last edited:
I just checked the long range forecast and all it seems to be is rain and daily highs of 8 to 11'C each day....unless something really changes, my riding season has come to an end.

I lived in Minnesota, Wyoming and Utah for much of my life. I know all about cold weather riding. One time when I lived in Northern California ( Clear Lake ) I got caught in Reno Nevada when it snowed. I spent the night in town and then ventured out over Donners pass the next morning on my V65 Honda Sabre. It was a bright sunny day and the hard packed snow gave me enough confidence to get up to about 35 mph. It was a relief to ride on wet roads as the elevation dropped and the snow had melted away.

We will get some cold weather in December and January like high twenties in the early morning but warming to the 50s later in the day. I have commuted to work many times in the mid 30s since picking up the Concours some time ago. Heated grips, full fairing, leather Hien Garrick pants over blue jeans, and work boots works well. Sometimes I wrap a microfiber towel around my neck area and that seems to help a bit on the back of my neck. The only cold part is the back of my hands buts it still tolerable.
I subscribe to the group called "CAR" Candy Assed Riders and if it isn't pleasant to ride, I don't...

There was a time when I rode in anything including snow but those days are long behind me....I figure if I need heated grips, I will just drive the truck.

I'm so over the average summer now ...
It's enough to consider moving to Perth ...lol
Several years ago I was listening to an Aussie describe Queensland weather to a Pommie. How we, near the coast never see a frost in Winter and how it’s a bit cooler than inland in Summer etc, generally pretty good. His description was along the lines of… “Yeah, 95% of the time it’s pretty much like paradise, the other 5% we are either on fire or under water”.

I subscribe to the group called "CAR" Candy Assed Riders and if it isn't pleasant to ride, I don't...

There was a time when I rode in anything including snow but those days are long behind me....I figure if I need heated grips, I will just drive the truck.
Similar.

I rode bikes in the UK for 23 years. Never owned a car. Always needed multiple bikes as you didn’t want a big fun Summer bike out in the ice, snow, freezing fog etc. It wasn’t unusual for folk to have a “Winter Rat” 250.

Now I’m into retirement bikes are very rarely Transport, they are for my pleasure, fun days and an escape. If it’s raining, or cold, I have no issue at all jumping into the car or Ute. We don’t really have a “riding season” here as we only see a couple of frosts a year at worst (now I’ve moved inland), but I’m still happy to pick the days that I find enjoyable now.

Back