5w 40 full synthetic

skyhip

Registered
Is it ok to run 5W40 in the summer heat here in Memphis 10 where temps get around a 100 degrees. And if so what brands are you guys and girls running in smiliar weather. Feed Back Please

Shouldn't hurt a thing. How about trying Mobil-1 10W40?

BTW: You probably stirred up another oil war!
beerchug.gif

Yes, it is ok......However, the wider the range between the low and high number, the less stable the oil as far as shear strength. Sooo, you COULD use it, but I would use 10-40.

Ron

I feel ya bro, I live over in Little Rock and all the riders recommend 10-40 year round. I have also been told not to use full synth until the bike has at least 8-10 k on it.

Thanks for info, I got worried because I just used castrol f4 on yesterdays 5K mile change. And it seemed like after a trip around the block and back to check for leaks that the oil had got pretty dark in the glass. I do not remember it getting that dark that quick on last change useing 10wW40 suzuki full synthetic. Thanks again for feedback

Amsoil 10w-40 is your friend.

Off topic a little. I was thinking about riding up tomorrow and enjoy some BBQ by the river. I believe the cook off part of Memphis in May is this weekend? I am up that way a good bit since I have family in Collierville maybe we could get together one trip and ride.

I feel ya bro, I live over in Little Rock and all the riders recommend 10-40 year round. I have also been told not to use full synth until the bike has at least 8-10 k on it.
I think that waiting more than normal break-in to use synthetic oil is unnecessary.

Some would say it is ok from day one. I'm still a little old fashioned on that, if Suzuki supplies it with dyno oil, I figure I should get it through break-in first.

Anyone here have a more educated response than mine on this subject?

Blue1

I think that waiting more than normal break-in to use synthetic oil is unnecessary.

Some would say it is ok from day one. I'm still a little old fashioned on that, if Suzuki supplies it with dyno oil, I figure I should get it through break-in first.

Anyone here have a more educated response than mine on this subject?

Blue1
No education, but Corvette's come from the factory with synthetic. And the only time I've heard real reasoning behind engine break-in, it was stated that 90% of the break-in is done in the first 50 miles.

But then there are the people who won't run anything but the 'Zuki branded oil, so...

Personally, I make sure the engine is broken in as much as possible, (ie, twist the throttle), and then put in synth at the 500 change. Royal Purple 5-W30.

Back