How About An Oil Thread To Get Everyone In The Mood...LOL

Takeuon

Registered
Yeah the weather is still the pits in a lot of places right now. But with Spring right around the corner, I thought why not get another oil thread up & running to refresh current members and guide some of our new members as to what your personal choice is for the lifeline of your bike.

Feel free to post up brand, viscosity, where you get it, and if you can remember...the price.

I use Maxima Ultra4 5w40 that I order directly from their website. A little pricey at $15.49 a liter but I really like their commitment to quality and R&D.

Maxima Ultra4-5w40.jpg

Thanks! You saved me from searching. Due for PM, thought I'd see which flavor to use.

So far Amsoil for the HD and Mobil1 extended life for the cars and boat.

My personnal choice is REPSOL full synthetic 10w 40, developed for racing. Great stuff!!! :thumbsup:

Just put this in last night.

CastrolACT-EVO X-TRA 4T Engine 20w-50 flavor

$5.99 a quart. I change it every 1500 miles.

castrol_act_evo_xtra_4t_MD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put 4 quarts to 4 and 1/2 in your bike. Make sure its 10-40 or 20-50 and keep it changed every 2K miles along with the filter. You bike should go forever. Nobody is going to blow a motor if they have 4 quarts of oil in there bike...no matter if its walmart oil or full synthetic mobil 1. I use to run the semi-synthetic castrol that was $5 a quart. Put 12K hard miles on the bike and when the motor came down for the turbo build the builder said it was in great shape. Long as you keep the oil level correct and keep it changed no reason for any problems.

I use Castrol 4t full synthetic oil myself. It is a great product and it is the only oil I have used on my 'Busa.

Just put this in last night.

CastrolACT-EVO X-TRA 4T Engine 20w-50 flavor

$5.99 a quart. I change it every 1500 miles.

That is what i have always used in mine also. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Motul 300v 4t 15w50 runs about $15/liter or $52/4 liter

Just bought some Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w-40 bike flavor. I run the auto version in my STI and in the wife's BMW, figured it would be good for the bike too. First oil change for me on this bike, so now I'll have it on a schedule.

Sure that Honda oil will work fine.
Some may argue its a bit of a heavier blend than you need but I use 20w50 and have never had a problem in any of the street bikes I have had.

Takeuon this will be the 3rd time I have changed oil with this. Super smooth.
The place who did the work for me put in Motul semi-syn 10w40.
The engine was awfully noisy. Too much 'clickety clack'.
Found this Castrol at Cycle Gear and tried it.
Engine is super quiet and smooth now.
May be just the diff in viscosity but Castrol has always run quiet for me in everything.

Used Mobil
Used AmSoil

Silkolene
The best...
(but you pay for it $$...$65 a liter for the plus...plus shipping)
35e06f3639a335fc86146457232e8965_rough.jpg

Last edited:
So many oils! :dunno: Was all set to go Amsoil 20W50.

Guy at the store started talking all that tech talk jiberish only a scientist or oil enthusiast could understand. After he was done he asked "why don't you use Motul?" I thought it seems to be a very good oil too, "I'll take it, gimme the good stuff 300V". More jiberish! Finally said because I've 21k on the bike with unknown clutch history use 1qt 300V and 3qts 5100. Said straight 300V may cause an old clutch to slip.

After my half hour 'class', I just followed his recommendation in a tasty 10W40 flavor. :thumbsup:

I work for a large midwest transmission company and there is a certain transmission that after being rebuilt liked to run hot. We did everything including adding a external transmission cooler. Nothing made any huge difference.
Mobil one did. Ok so now we have the Exon/Mobil reps over because we use 30,000 gallons of transmission fluid a year and this is what they said :
That Mobil One and Amsoil are the only oils that are true synthetic oils. That 10-15 (?) years ago Castrol went to court to call their very very very cleaned up petroleum oil a Synthetic, and they won. Enter Syntorque and other "Synthetic blends".
That Mobil one is man made with all of the molecules being the same size as opposed to the molecules of petroleum oils being different sizes offering more resistance. The analogy they used was taking a piece of glass and putting bearings all over is and setting another piece of glass on top and moving it around. Now take and put base balls, soft balls and golf balls between the same pieces of glass and move the glass again and compare the resistance. Amsoil gets their Base Stock from Mobil.
We found that the transmission didn't run as cool as we expected but that the fluid didn't break down under heat. It fixed the problem.
That is why I use Mobil One.

Back