We could only be so lucky; ACLU loses major donor

:thumbsup:

Now if we can just ACORN to follow suit.

Oh that's right...the Obamanation made sure they got a load of "thank you" cash.

Last edited:
But, but, that'll put alot of poor, hardly, working lawers out of the next income tax bracket & free our court system from a bunch of frivolous lawsuits- thats it, I've had enough, I'm writing my congressman:rofl:

I never saw any balance in the ACLU, if I had I might feel differently.

all you have to do is a little research.....

the ACLU is about the protection of our civil liberties. everybodies civil liberties, not just the ones that "YOU" agree with.

as much as some of preach about your rights, and big government taking them away....you sure are hypocritical about the ACLU.

I never saw any balance in the ACLU, if I had I might feel differently.

You mean a balance like: sometimes civil liberties are good and sometimes they are not? Personally I'd like to see a very uneven balance toward civil liberties.

Don't make it a personal attack.

When the ACLU is suing my local school district because the parents of TWO students were offened because the rest of the students wanted to have a prayer, that they had the opportunity to opt out of, I find that pretty uneven.

When the ACLU sues to have a monument to WW1 soldiers removed (because it was religious) that's been on government property for over 50 years, I find that pretty uneven.

When I don't usually see the ACLU coming out in response to 2nd amendment issues, i find that pretty uneven.

I didnt' say I had an answer, because I don't know how to find the right balance.

I'm not sure how far "the needs of the one outweight the needs of the many" goes....

Not to worry about your civil liberties Dino! There is still piles of unspent stimulus (Slush Fund) money left. You can rest assured the ACLU will be well financed and there may even be another 3 jobs saved! :whistle:

When the ACLU is suing my local school district because the parents of TWO students were offened because the rest of the students wanted to have a prayer, that they had the opportunity to opt out of, I find that pretty uneven.

When the ACLU sues to have a monument to WW1 soldiers removed (because it was religious) that's been on government property for over 50 years, I find that pretty uneven.

When I don't usually see the ACLU coming out in response to 2nd amendment issues, i find that pretty uneven.

I didnt' say I had an answer, because I don't know how to find the right balance.

I'm not sure how far "the needs of the one outweight the needs of the many" goes....

That is why it is: "Liberty and Justice for ALL". Not "Liberty and Justice for the Majority".

The ACLU views the 2d amendment as a collective right not an individual right. I disagree with them on this point but they also do not do anything to limit 2d amendment right so I see no reason to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

When the ACLU is suing my local school district because the parents of TWO students were offened because the rest of the students wanted to have a prayer, that they had the opportunity to opt out of, I find that pretty uneven. because those two students should not have civil rights?
When the ACLU sues to have a monument to WW1 soldiers removed (because it was religious) that's been on government property for over 50 years, I find that pretty uneven. separation of church and state?

When I don't usually see the ACLU coming out in response to 2nd amendment issues, i find that pretty uneven. so you want them to ignore the 1st ammendment, but support the second?

I'm not sure how far "the needs of the one outweight the needs of the many" goes...that's because you are not the one.

how about when they file suit against the NSA over illegal and wrrantless wiretaps?

how about when they file suit against the NSA over illegal and wrrantless wiretaps?

Regarding your notes in his quote, there is no such thing as separation of church and state. It doesn't exist in any of our founding documents nor is it in any legal precedent.

Gelbaum also announced he was halting some $12 million in yearly gifts to the Sierra Club Foundation and about $50 million a year that he's been giving to an organization serving veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Should I celebrate this action as well, eh skydivr? ...... it cuts both ways, hence the blind of libra......

Regarding your notes in his quote, there is no such thing as separation of church and state. It doesn't exist in any of our founding documents nor is it in any legal precedent.

oh you want to go on a plain text reading of the constitution....

the document that values a ***** as 2/3 a person?

separation of church and state comes from Supreme Court interpretation of the 1st ammendment.....

the Supreme Court decides what and how the Constitution effects us in real life. the second ammendment does not guarantee a persons right to own a gun.....it states :

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

which, if we are going to go on a plain text reading, means that all citizens have the right to join a militia, and to be trained and armed.

the idea is for the people to protect themselves from the government with local trained militia.....

it was the Supreme Court that established that the right to gun ownership was a personal one, that is why you can own a gun now.

Gelbaum also announced he was halting some $12 million in yearly gifts to the Sierra Club Foundation and about $50 million a year that he's been giving to an organization serving veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Should I celebrate this action as well, eh skydivr? ...... it cuts both ways, hence the blind of libra......

Seriously bro, Skydivr and I don't always agree on these topics, and that is cool, he is a good guy, hopefully we both learn something during our discussions. I enjoy the discussion but it really is not productive to the conversation to snipe at him or anyone else (unless it is Bogus :laugh:). So please try to keep your arguement to presenting some alternative views. :beerchug:

I'm not very good at cut/paste, so:

- those two students had plenty of rights, they had the right not to participate and their wish would have been respected without issue; their rights were not nearly as infringed upon as the other 1000 students whose right WAS infringed upon.

- I'm not so presumptuous to believe that I am that important.

- I interpret the 2nd amendment alot differently than you do; that one placement of a comma has caused more trouble, and has already been debated on this board plenty of times, so I'm not going to be drawn any deeper in that except to say that I completely disagree.

- I'm glad the guy contributed to a vets organization as long as it wasn't Code Pink. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing. Just like you, I, Dino or anyone else on this board, we are human with our strengths and weaknesses. I have my opinions, and you have yours. Doesn't mean I don't respect yours, and as a former service member I have signed that dotted line that meant I'd place my life on your right to say them.

Back