Thoughts on organ donation, from someone that is in need...

Meta title: organ

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
It's not what you think; I'm so fortunate to not be in that situation...

Overview: I have a cousin that's battling liver disease. He's been on and off the transplant list, ups and downs for 4+ years now, not knowing if he'll ever feel good again. Well, my cousin and his wife were sitting at the dinner table, explaining how they're expanding his options for a transplant. He's going on disability to allow for travel up and down the eastern seaboard, getting set up with various hospitals and on multiple lists awaiting donation.

During all of this talk, the wife chimes in and starts talking about motorcyclists as donors. She ends with a very giddy "We call them donorcycles!". My first instinct was to ask her if she realized she was sitting next to someone that rides, but I didn't say a word. I was in mixed company, it's Thanksgiving, so I didn't want to create drama, but watching her giggle about someone losing their life while riding made me wonder if she's humble at all about the sacrifice someone, potentially a motorcyclist, will make in the hopes of returning life to normal. I wondered if she'd be willing to face the family of a motorcyclist that lost his/her life and giggle about "donorcycles"? Her entire attitude about motorcyclists was so disrespectful, especially considering the side of the coin she and her family are on. I stayed silent, but honestly, wish now I'd brought up how insensitive she was, considering her family's future and happiness might depend upon a rider's death. :banghead:

I've since rehashed her giggling and comments in my mind often, and considered writing her about it all. She's someone that's pretty arrogant to begin with, seems pretty self-centered and has created "family drama" in recent years, so I fear it'll just be a pointless battle. Truth is, IMHO, most that have that attitude about motorcyclists won't change their minds anyway.

I just hope she's the only one that thinks this way. I'm an organ donor, as many riders are by choice, but I sure would hate to think any sacrifice is giggled at by a donor family. :rant:

hello, i too am an organ donor. my brothers son was born with a liver disease (Biliary Disease).

Biliary atresia is the most common lethal liver disease in children, occurring once every 10,000-15,000 live births. Half of all liver transplants are done for this reason. The normal anatomy of the bile system begins within the liver, where thousands of tiny bile ducts collect bile from liver cells. These ducts merge into larger and larger channels, like streams flowing into rivers, until they all pour into a single duct that empties into the duodenum (first part of the small intestine). Between the liver and the duodenum this duct has a side channel connected to the gall bladder. The gall bladder stores bile and concentrates it, removing much of its water content. Then, when a meal hits the stomach, the gall bladder contracts and empties its contents.
Bile is a mixture of waste chemicals that the liver removes from the circulation and excretes through the biliary system into the intestine. On its way out, bile assists in the digestion of certain nutrients. If bile cannot get out because the channels are absent or blocked, it backs up into the liver and eventually into the rest of the body. The major pigment in bile is a chemical called bilirubin, which is yellow. Bilirubin is a breakdown product of hemoglobin (the red chemical in blood that carries oxygen). If the body accumulates an excess of bilirubin, it turns yellow (jaundiced). Bile also turns the stool brown. Without it, stools are the color of clay.

he is now 7 years old and is still struggling with it. he also is on a list for a transplant. every now and thin he has to wear a PIX in his arm for the medicine, and you think that would slow him down, NOT. he's a very active boy and we're so proud of him on how he's taking it all in.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on a donors.

"BECOME A DONOR". :love:

Oh, how sad to have to deal with that as a child :down: I can't imagine, but I'm so glad to hear he's doing well and I hope he gets his transplant soon!!

Definitely BECOME A DONOR!! I always have been, and have already explained to my young sons the importance of doing the same...keep us posted should your brother get a new liver. :)

BTW, my cousin has the same liver disease that Walter Payton had, and that hit him in his 40's...I'm sorry to say, I am not nearly as well versed as you are in any liver diseases...

Most people in the medical field refer to us as “donors”, especially the ones who work at trauma centers and ER’s. It is a fact that all riders are aware of but don’t want to be reminded about. I doubt she had any ill intent to the statement and didn’t think before she spoke. If it bothered you, you should have spoken up and told her how it offended you. To writer he about it now just seems a bit petty (too little too late kind of thing). Next time you see her bring the subject back up by asking her if her and her family/friends have been tested to see if they can be living donors. If she say’s it again you can tell her how insensitive her statement was. I’m sure all she was concerned about was the safety of her husband and not the person who will ultimately lose theirs.

Most people in the medical field refer to us as “donorsâ€￾, especially the ones who work at trauma centers and ER’s. It is a fact that all riders are aware of but don’t want to be reminded about. I doubt she had any ill intent to the statement and didn’t think before she spoke. If it bothered you, you should have spoken up and told her how it offended you. To writer he about it now just seems a bit petty (too little too late kind of thing). Next time you see her bring the subject back up by asking her if her and her family/friends have been tested to see if they can be living donors. If she say’s it again you can tell her how insensitive her statement was. I’m sure all she was concerned about was the safety of her husband and not the person who will ultimately lose theirs.

Oh, I'm well aware of the term; we all are...and she's not in the medical field. She made it sound like many in the donor circle have this same attitude, hence I'm wondering if they realize how ignorant that mentality is, as donors and donor families. For the record, her husband, the one awaiting transplant, looked mortified at what she was saying because he knows I ride, but he remained silent too, likely for the same reasons I remained silent.

I'll likely never tell her how I took her insensitive comments, hence I opted to just vent here :)

I'm a donor and I don't understand why more folks are not. Once I'm finished here I will not have a use for any of my parts. With that being said, it sad that your cousin's wife treats the unselfish act of organ donation so flippant(?). She might be using humor to help her deal with the husband's problem, but you said she is a drama creator, so who knows. Personally, I would write the letter to your cousin, not the wife, and tell him how inconsiderate she is with her attitude. Hopefully, he will overcome his illness by the donation of a liver. I dislike people that have an entitlement attitude like hers.

I'm proud to be one & have been since given the choice many moon's ago...

VA, I would share your feelings with your Cousin's wife not with the intention of giving her a lesson in civility.
You cannot change rude and disrespectful or stupid for that matter, you can enlighten with the hopes of change. Maybe in her stress/angst of finding one has her clouded and bitter.

Vent away girl! If you're still upset you should tell your cuz. I got to say...If i was in need of a transplant (or for my wife/kids) I would be watching the news like a hawk for anyone who died in a wreck....not laughing about it but damn sure praying that if a wreck did occur that it would save me/us. I too am a donor and I took a cheek swab and have my info on file with the national bone marrow list in case Im a match for someone. I wouldn't think twice if I got a call saying I was a match. I would only ask where and when I need to be somewhere.

Thanks Poppy, for the reply...honestly, I wouldn't want to cause any more issues for my cousin. He's been so sick and with all the challenges, I'm amazed at just how much he continues to do to provide for his family. He recently helped my Dad through a really tough battle with liver problems he's experiencing, related to cancer. I was so thankful he could step up and help Dad, so I can't in good conscience stress him with any more than he already has on his plate...his wife, well, let's just say she's created some HUGE family drama in the past, so I wouldn't want to stir her up again LOL

It has been eating away at me since Thanksgiving, hence I figured I'd just share here and be done with it... :)

Vent away girl! If you're still upset you should tell your cuz. I got to say...If i was in need of a transplant (or for my wife/kids) I would be watching the news like a hawk for anyone who died in a wreck....not laughing about it but damn sure praying that if a wreck did occur that it would save me/us. I too am a donor and I took a cheek swab and have my info on file with the national bone marrow list in case Im a match for someone. I wouldn't think twice if I got a call saying I was a match. I would only ask where and when I need to be somewhere.

I've thought about doing that (the bone marrow donation), but I don't know a thing about it, and obviously haven't researched much. It was just a cheek swab to get on a list of potential matches? I thought it was far more involved...

And I need to clarify here I think...

I can handle stupid comments about riding motorcycles; we'll forever get 'em...I didn't post this because I was personally offended beyond reproach :laugh:

I think I was more shocked at the flippant attitude of someone in need of a transplant, and in this case, while the person that said those things isn't the patient, her entire life has been affected by his disease, so why would anyone in that place in life be so disrespectful?! That's the part I have an issue with...just so happens she pegged motorcyclists, but hell, she could have said something similiar and it's about jet-skiers, or coal-miners, pilots. I guess I come from a place where I know I'd appreciate that gift, no matter how it came to me. I'd certainly never be so flippant about how the person died...

I am a donor as well. It is sad that people are like that. I have a friend that will talk like that sometimes and I will just go off and tell him how it is. I understand about the drama thing and wanting to keep in under control however if I was around her to much I would have to put her in her place. Some people thinks the world revolves around them and will never consider the feeling of others. Most of the time something has to happen to them to give them a wake up call about what humanity really is. Prayers sent for your cousin.

Vabs, I am also an organ donor. I know what she said rubbed you the wrong way, but sometimes its the things we dont say that matter. I applaude you for having the compassion and grace to dismiss what she said without causing further issues with the family. Every family has one or two you wish you could toss from the apple cart.

Here's some homemade chicken noodle soup to make you feel better....made fresh this morning.

photo2.jpg

Thanks for the link lil charlie! I'm definitely looking in to it!! :thumbsup:

Poppy, could you bring that to VA? I'm hungry now!! :please:

Vabs, I am also an organ donor. I know what she said rubbed you the wrong way, but sometimes its the things we dont say that matter. I applaude you for having the compassion and grace to dismiss what she said without causing further issues with the family. Every family has one or two you wish you could toss from the apple cart.

Ditto +10000000,

I admire your self control

Ditto +10000000,

I admire your self control

What you mean is "That is so unlike you Michelle!" :rofl:

Omar was at this dinner, but he'd just left to run next door to my Dad's, so he missed all of this. Had he been there, I likely would have gone off on her since we both ride. Had my Dad been at the table, that's 3 riders she was insulting...easier to just try to ignore it since it was just me...lol

If its been since Thanksgiving and your still thinking about it I think you should talk to her. If you don't you will be pondering her statement for quite some time to come. Try to open her eyes and mind a bit. If that doesn't help than at least you tried and your conscience will be clear.

What you mean is "That is so unlike you Michelle!" :rofl:

Well what i REALLY meant was that I know how hard it is for you to exercise self control around some people...like me for examaple:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back