How Does a Major in the Army Lose It?

Southside Playa

Master Pot-Stirrer
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, in the aftermath of the horrific event yesterday in Fort Hood, we common (non-military) folks really want to know how does something like this happen??

Let me start by saying that my prayers are with those were killed, wounded, and their families.

Now how is it that someone who has been educated & entrusted on dealing with the mental issues of returning troops, and not to mention has been able to make to the rank of Major, lose control to the point of trying to take out his fellow servicemen??

And if he had such poor performance reviews, how was he promoted to Major?

I know it is kinda soon to speculate, and I know that some soliders crack under the stress of the horrors associated with ongoing wars. However, I am wondering how someone who has been designated to mitigate these issues has succumbed to them himself?

And I don't even want to touch the subject of him being Muslim.

It is all just SO sad. In life it is unfortunate when people choose to take their own lives, but it becomes even more cowardly when they want to take as many people with them as they can before they go.

IMHO The less said about this SUB HUMAN the better. Just forget him and honor and support the victims. I am tired of seeing the media talk more about the SUB HUMAN then the victims. Maybe its just me.???

Military medical officers such as Doctors, Dentists and Psychiatrists are generally commissioned at the rank of O-3/Captain.. He probably picked up Major while in residence.

Guys, keep it serious. I am really trying to grasp how something like this happens at the largest US military installation in the world.

I always thought that were multiple redundancies in place to prevent these kinds of things. If he was a Psychiatrist, is there anyone that monitors them, or counsels them for their mental issues?

Actually, as I understand it, he joined before 9-11, used the Military to futher his education to include his Doc Degree. He is then (depending on years and cost to the Military) required to remain in the service for up to 6 years. Promotions for Doc's are near AUTOMATIC based on years in and time in Grade. So, his promotion isn't surprising or unusual.

Also, for someone who has requested non deployment to a Combat Area, you have to have problem with Personal Physical Conflict with the Enemy, NOT because your scared or personally disagree with our Political Policys :rulez: .

Good Lord, I can't count :whistle: the Political Policys I disagreed with, but I still had to go :laugh:

As far as his actions, well, only he knows, but being kidded :poke: by fellow STAFF (I find this hard to believe, remember his Fellow Officers were Doc themselves) Officers wasn't one of them !

Guys, keep it serious. I am really trying to grasp how something like this happens at the largest US military installation in the world.

I always thought that were multiple redundancies in place to prevent these kinds of things. If he was a Psychiatrist, is there anyone that monitors them, or counsels them for their mental issues?

I am being serious. If it is coming out that he had mental issues....who's to say they didn't lead him to "find himself" and that led to him becoming a radical muslim. For all we know his condition could have culminated to this.
We have no idea yet what he was doing in his free time. It could come out he has been in contact w/ radicals via his computer

And it all goes south from here..

+1 we need to understand and not just point a finger. This will continue to happen if we cant understand. My question is this, he was not drafted. He volunteered to join so why all the anger over getting deployed? Isnt this something people are told is a requirement when joining??

Troops are killing each other over in Iraq...we just dont hear about it. And they are just normal americans of diverse cultures...

+1 we need to understand and not just point a finger. This will continue to happen if we cant understand. My question is this, he was not drafted. He volunteered to join so why all the anger over getting deployed? Isnt this something people are told is a requirement when joining??

Troops are killing each other over in Iraq...we just dont hear about it. And they are just normal americans of diverse cultures...

True, he volunteered but maybe he was gambling that we'd have it all wrapped up by the time he finished his studies. Lot's of National Guard and reserve troops get that reality check when they volunteer to sign up for the "great college benefits" and end up called up for a deployment. Besides, he had access to all those psychotropic drugs that are such the popular American solution for all our emotional traumas that used to be corrected by living and learning. Maybe he dosed himself until manic and decided to make some kind of statement..

He is/was only human. Everyone has a breaking point, and when one reaches that breaking point, everyone handles it differently. I am not saying I condone what he did, but I nor do any of us know the complete circumstances from HIS perspective, so I can not judge him. He will be judged accordingly in the end!

He is/was only human. Everyone has a breaking point, and when one reaches that breaking point, everyone handles it differently. I am not saying I condone what he did, but I nor do any of us know the complete circumstances from HIS perspective, so I can not judge him. He will be judged accordingly in the end!

That says it all..

Please leave religion out of this. Just because he is Muslim does not make him Taliban. Not every Greman was a Nazi. Look at all of the Japanese we locked up during WWII in concentration camps.

Now if he was a christian would this have been a war of Christianity. I don't think so. If he was white and had a good American name Like ??? John Quincy Adams would we be bashing him because of his name, skin color or religion? I don't think so.

Everyone breaks at some point. Some very easily, others about average and then you have people who can take a lot of pain and punishment before breaking.

Maybe before we judge him, we should learn all the facts and not just what the media is saying. We know very little about him and what happened. DO NOT JUDGE based on color, religion, sexual orientation, or the kind of music someone likes. If you do you are RACISTS and the PROBLEM.

Light me up and flame the heck out of me. I don't care. I fought for the freedom of speech so I am going to use it just like you do.

((too soon chris)) lol

yea....i have always been a bit premature...(no not about that) .... immature..and glad to see heather you werent anywhere near...hope none of your peeps were involved!!

Please leave religion out of this. Just because he is Muslim does not make him Taliban. Not every Greman was a Nazi. Look at all of the Japanese we locked up during WWII in concentration camps.

Now if he was a christian would this have been a war of Christianity. I don't think so. If he was white and had a good American name Like ??? John Quincy Adams would we be bashing him because of his name, skin color or religion? I don't think so.

Everyone breaks at some point. Some very easily, others about average and then you have people who can take a lot of pain and punishment before breaking.

Maybe before we judge him, we should learn all the facts and not just what the media is saying. We know very little about him and what happened. DO NOT JUDGE based on color, religion, sexual orientation, or the kind of music someone likes. If you do you are RACISTS and the PROBLEM.

Light me up and flame the heck out of me. I don't care. I fought for the freedom of speech so I am going to use it just like you do.

Lurch your wisdom far exceeds what is required to participate in internet message board discussions.

Back