Was it difficult to get back in the saddle?

OB_BRM

Registered
When I was young, I totalled a couple of bikes. I wasn't hurt and I never thought twice about getting on another one. Since then, in over 30 years I haven't as much as dropped one off the kickstand, not a scratch on any bike. Recently though, I crashed. (See "A Warning About Brakes", May 02, for details). I didn't think it was possible for me to wreck. I thought I was too good. Not too good in the racer boy sense but after almost forty years on bikes I thought I knew every thing on the street to look out for. I often rode fast but I picked my spots. I wasn't hurt seriously, but I was hurt enough that I was in a lot of pain for about a month. During recovery I bought a 2000 Red and Grey. I left it at the dealer for a while since I couldn't ride it. When it was time to go get it, I was really apprehensive about riding it. It wasn't the performance of the 'Busa that bothered me. I would have felt the same if it was a Honda Rebel. I felt like I didn't know how to ride anymore. At the shop I stalled around for a couple of hours kind of dreading getting on it. I wanted the parking lot to be empty because I felt like I would have to duck walk it out and look stupid. On the way home I worried about the new tires being slick. Every car at an intersection I knew was going to pull out in front of me. I thought every curve had to have gravel or oil in the middle of the road. Well, after a few hundred miles in the saddle, those fears are subsiding. I realize I still know how to ride. I still haven't really cranked it over in a curve though. I,m still not ready for that.

Anyone else thats crashed lately have those concerns or were you just macho about it and said the hell with it and jumped back in the saddle. If you did that, you're probably young. I'm 55 now. Tell me your story. I would like to know how you delt with it.

You're not alone. Two years ago, low sided my ZX6r, broad in front of me hit her brake really hard which forced to hit mine very hard too, rear wheel slipped to the right forcing me to lay her down. After tumbling 150 feet on the highway I was thankful I was still in one piece ( road rash and a couple of broken ribs). Called my wife about the accident and she was hysterical, said I couldn't ride anymore. Well, after a month I got myself a virago, a 99 GSXr750 and after 6 months a busa.
Yes, the fear is still there, I can't deny that but the more I ride everyday the more I start to get more confident again in my riding abilities.

!? you did not always feel like that? How is it you did not crash sooner?...I used to battele Nausia and get the shakes every time I got near my TL, and things are about the same with the Busa...remember that smug, complacent feeling of controle you used to have...like right before you crashed? Hopfully you will NEVER feel that way again! The trick is to Love your Fear...some of you are doing this and may not realize it as such...do you not dig a rush? Now, my friend, you are simply AWAKE, and in the correct mental state called "condition yellow", which can be maintained indeffinatly with some effort, and is essantial for surviving activities such as combat, police work, bounty hunting and other hunting, and motorcycling...you should be in condition yellow any time you are out of the house in my opinion, but most just drift around in condition white, without a care for their surroundings, and get real shocked when somthing reaches out to tuoch them...

I had a major high side two years ago and shattered my left wrist. I was 55 then and on a race track when it happened.Oddly enough, my doctor had to keep me from getting back on the bike and it didn't seem to bother me.

With equipment failures, however, it is a different story, as you lose confidence in the machinery. Happened to me about 20 years ago when I had two flat tires (they had tube tires then) and went down twice. Lost confidence to the point where I stopped riding for almost ten years. I think that once your confidence in your mahcinery returns you will feel better, but it won't be easy to get rid of that little voice in the back of your mind that says " What if................"

Good luck and try to enjoy yourself.

Hapo: Before , when I road, it was like you describe. I had a healthy fear of all the things that could go wrong, but now its more like a paranoia. Before, i was constantly alert and looking for potential problems, but not fearful of them. I have scared myself silly by getting into curves too hot, ect but I didn't dwell on it the next time out. I rode sometimes way too fast but always in areas that were fairly deserted. The exception to that being the occasional challenge on the interstate by a hot car. And even then I knew when to back off. But my feelings, at least for now, have changed from "fearful confidence" to just plain uneasiness.

BRM:

I'm 61 and had a washout in the rain upon front brake application, about 45 mph. Never thought about it.

It was the fault of constructiuon crews... failed to repair the road, applied slick paint over white lines to blacken them out, as soon as the braked tire hit that slick paint-road stuff it was over, instantaneoulsy.

I was pissed at the road crew, but I was never bothered by any mistake I made. It was not my fault.

I read your post of 5-2-00, maybe your are subconsciously beating yourself up for not checking your brakes out first, as had you, you likely would not have crashed. thus, a guilt syndorme. Shake it off so you can enjoy riding as you have all those years.

forgive your self man!

just don't let a "brake" problem get you in the future.

Instead, use this mistake as a stepping stone for greater "attention" to 2 wheels.

As you know, those inspections before riding in your motorcycle manual really do make sense!

You deserve the new busa, just check it out before riding.

[This message has been edited by AQUADIOSMED (edited 04 May 2000).]

Hi BRM,

I too had an accident recently with my BUSA and many things were going through my mind, such as should I fix her and sell her, fix her and trade her, or just do nothing. I guess it was more about would I want to ride again or not. Well as my ribs are getting better and the road rash is dissapearing and turning a nice pink color, I'm feeling more confident and putting things in perspective. I realize there are inherent risks in riding a motorcycle and I have to either accept those risks and deal with them or move on to something else. I still love the feeling you get when you crack the throttle open and unleash 156 horses to the rear wheel, the acceleration pulling you back untill you hit the rear hump, the sound of the engine revving up, the senery coming at you so fast that you can't even think, leaning it into a corner and scrafing the apex and righting her back up. I thought about all that and I decided not to miss that RUSH and EXCITEMENT that comes about riding a motorcycle. I will just have to learn from my mistakes and more important, try to learn from the mistakes of others. I'm 49 and still think it's cool to ride a bike. So as soon as I get her back to Miami I will repair her and bring her back to life. I will use your experience to deal with any Dragons that might haunt me when I put my leg over her the next time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ride Safe, RJ

...it will pass...stat thinking about all the 55 year old blood vessles in your brain if you want to take your mind off of it...adopting a "Pre Flight" inspection ritual can go a long way in making you feel safer and actaly be safer...I get uneasy if I haven't checked chain, brake fasteners, and tire pressure before every ride...I check the tires constantly while on the road as well...every stop will find me inspecting and squeezzing the tires on not only my bike, but others who may be riding with me as well...that little "what if" voice never went all the way gone, but it is quieter now that I have an answer...(if that happens...then we DIE!)

As weird as it may sound, one thing Kieth Code taught me is that you must be WILLING to fall if you don't wan't to...kind of like you need to be WILLING TO DIE to survive combat, or a RACE!

If you don't Love your Fear...it can kill you...before your even dead...

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 05 May 2000).]

Hapo,

That's it exactly. Every time I go around the corner and spot my busa, I get this edgy feeling and I end up wondering if I should go back inside to use the restroom before I get on it. Kind of like the case of nerves I used to get before a race (running, not riding). It goes away, a bit, right after I swing out onto the street, but that first nudge of the throttle to get going, freaks me out every time. My parking spot is VERY close to the next one across, and I worry about dumping it at walking speed.

The point to all of this is that my last and only accident made me much more aware of the potential for injury that riding any bike has. That bit of fear makes me a better rider, and keeps me from being a total squid.
Respect the fear. Embrace it. Use it.

Time heals all. I ran my R1 into the side of a dump truck two years ago. I got the helicopter rid and everything. I swore my riding days wear over and that it was a warning from God. After I heeled up and was able to get around again I got right back on the bike but like you I was paranoid about everything. I did not enjoy those first few rides. I felt like a big woos. Not long after though I regained my confidence. I hope I learned something from my crash. It just takes time. I say this a lot but it is one of my favorite sayings. “There are two kinds of riders, those that have been down and those that are going downâ€. I think I should change it to “………….. and those that are going down againâ€. I know it will happen again but I don’t dwell on it. I do the things I can to prevent it and anything else is out of my out of, so it doesn’t make sense to worry about it. You will get back to that comfort zone again.

Go out for a few easy rides and you'll get your confidence back. That's all your lacking. When I got hit and highsided on the track (fractured a few vertabrae, bruised kidney, etc.) I spent two weeks on a futon. As soon as my right knee could support most of my weight, I was back to riding. Hurt like hell but loved it. It wasn't until I tried to race again that I had problems. I was incredibly nervous (hell, scared) about getting back out on the track, and almost called the weekend off. First time out I was a mess, and always afraid about someone being behind me. Happily, after a few good sessions and two races, I was back to normal. Just take it easy when you first get back into it, and the confidence you had before will return and it'll be the way it was, with you a little wiser.

BRM brother, - I crashed last Saturday afternoon. Laid her down on the right side after hitting a slick spot on a stop. $5800 in damage. Getting fixed, I'm healing up too.

I think Roberto Jorge summed up my feelings.

I am impressed by the humility expressed here. VERY good points made. I never quite look at it the same.

Me, I'm gonna get back on her.

In the world of life some will ride and some will crash but if you have the Lord in your heart everything will pass,you'll feel the pain and then you'll laugh and you'll thank the Lord another day has passed.Live your life to the full'ness because once your gone from this earth it will be your LAST RIDE.Be safe you all

18 years, 7 bikes, never crashed, never even had a bike fall over on me. I can always get in the saddle...can't help ya dude.

Been down on a Katana 750 trying to get a little to deep in a curve with a little to much throttle. Been knocked off hoofing a dirt bike in unfamiliar territory and caught air over a hill only to be clothslined across the chest but a tree. Never blinked when I got back on, just smarter.

Back