O.K. is it ime to get rid of the bike? only had it a week now.

OB_BusaTim

Registered
Now i know why i got the bike for $7500. It only had 1856 miles on it and was in the back of the guys garage. Looked brand new. Now i know why. It cuts off while you are riding it. today i thought i was not going to make it home. It feels like it is running out of gas. It's a 99 and i bet it has had no recall work done. I'm thinking about bailing off this one and getting something else. Maybe a ZX-9. I didn't realize the bikes had so many problems. The black and charcoal looks good but i don't want to end up with a problem child. What are all the recalls for this bike and will the dealer do them even though i am not the first owner? Amd i have already ordered all the go fast part's for it.... Kinda discourageing.

Tim, you are coming across like a panic stricken nut case. Get a grip!

If you don't want a Busa, then sell the dang thing.

Give a guy with half a brain a chance to pick one up dirt cheap like you did, have the fuel screens cleaned and the tps settings checked, then ride it trouble free for months or years.Or do it yourself and quit crying.

Take it to a good dealer. they will straighten it out at minimal cost.

Mine plugged the screens once. I have 14000 miles on it now with no more problems. Jeeez.

O.K. so i was a little hot. I had to sit on the side of the road for a while and it was almost 90 degree's. O.K. i cried a little too, so now i am ready again. Are the screens easy to get too. I am going to put the differnt sproket on it tonight and do the airbox mod. so i might as well clean the screens. I want it to be ready for the track Sunday. I had a bunch of complaments on the way the bike looked lowered. The BDE lowering links worked like a charm. I was mad and almost sold it to my buddy for $5500 as is. Glad i didn't now

I'd get all the standard first-year issues and whatever bugs it has out of the way first, before starting with the mods....just as safe practice.

Fuel filter screens are the start. Cam chain tensioner recall needs to happen, before you ride it any further. If it hasn't been done, you are taking a chance riding it. TPS settings also...I'd bite the bullet and have a good dealer service dept. take care of those all at once, then ride it for a couple weeks to make sure it is happy before starting mods.

Once you know things are cool, then go ahead and start having fun with it. But if you are not a pro as far as knowing the ways of the Busa goes, you should hand it over to a pro Suzuki mechanic, to get the thing heading in the right direction early on in its life.

If you start pulling stuff apart to do mods when you have not solved existing problems, you can make it a total headache to troubleshoot the problems. That is a good way to guarantee that it will become a problem child for you. First things first.

Stu, you are wrong, the fuel filter screens were done on early 99 Busas, in a recall. Early ones clogged with certain gas, maybe gas with MTBE in it.

Bear sorry I will pull rank. Service Bulliten not a recall on the fuel items.
Tech bulliten on the hoses and Recall on the cam chain tensioner.
I will buy it lets make a deal.

Once again..
There has only been one recall for any busa.
This is according to the NHTSA...they maintain and ensure compliance with all recalls for any vehicles.

The rest are just service bulletins....

BusaTim. Dude, $7500 sounds like a deal to me. Just get the fuel filter/cam chain tensioner looked at and you should be off to the races. The Busa is INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH. Don't let some small bugs get to you.

Unless you are absolutely convinced that the Busa is not the bike for you, you should ride it for a year. It will learn you something. Just be careful with the power.

The main reason to sell a Busa, in my opinion, is not that it has problems, or doesn't look good. No, the main reason to sell a Busa is if you decide that the bike is simply TOO MUCH.

I pulled thew fairings and the cam chain ten. looks original.maybe there are marks on the replacement. I got the bike from a 54 year old man and he never rode it much. I know power. I have a Turbo Bandit 1200 lowerd with an extended swing arm that makes 257 rear wheel h.p. For sale by the way real custom. i can E-Mail a picture of it. And a 90 GSXR 10" arm with a biult motor Nitrous with the schnitz controller. We drag race every weekend it doesn,t rain. I will have two wrecked 13's this week i am trading 5 GSXR 1100 motors and some Misc. parts for the bike's a 99 copper and a 2000 blue and silver. So i should have some extra stuff. Most of the farings are trash on the copper on. The blue one is only damaged on one side. I am not new at this game. So yes i know power. And the bike has plenty. But after riding the other two it is not as strong. But it is a fine bike. Cant wait till the header and C-ll gets here.

Okay, okay, I never said I was smart. I got the letters from the original owner (actually from his widow) when I got mine, one was the recall notice, the other was a service bulletin. I didn't know the difference. Mine was a later 99, and didn't have to have the fuel filter screens changed.

Sounds like you're ready to rock, Tim. I've only run mine once at the strip, straight stock, but the speed guys like Frank Adams keep saying this bike has huge potential to make power. It should, it has its roots in the Suzuki drag racing program. You got extra parts, you got background knowledge, you should be good to go. But if you still want to sell for $5,500, I'm your man!! :)

P.S. Where in Alabama are you? I used to live in La Grange, GA, about 30 mi. from Auburn. Nice part of the world.

I live in coker, it's a small town. About an hour south from Birmingham. I rode it this morning with the new gearing.( And no Farings ) All i can say is it woke it up in the off line performance. I am going to the dealership this morning and get the correct Ten. I will replace it myself. I want to take it to the track tomorrow with my other bike and use it in the stock street class. Just to see what it does. I have too many bikes so i still have not decided to keep it. Might even trade it for ???? With the extra 2 parts bikes. Dont know yet what i am going to do.

Frank: I'll keep you in mind. I was thinking about biulding another big tire bike out of my 1150. So i might sell the bikes as a package. The other two i mentioned are salvage bikes with salvage titles. I am getting them for the Engines and extra parts and i thought about making the blue one a drag bike with slick and wheelie bars. But there is more stuff availible for the 1150's plus it already has a 1260cc motor and i could get a rolling bike minus motor pretty easy. I will let you know what i plan to do. It would be neat to have a drag 13 and a street one. But i already have the 86 1150 and they are proven. Just kicking ideas around.

Back