Warning about driving in your car.

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I got this as an e-mail fom a reliable friend and it makes sense to me.  I never thought about it before, so I figured there are other people out there who don't know either so I figured l'd pass on the info;

"A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore, Texas, she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessive, when  her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden  occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know:

NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON.

She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and
maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.

But the highway patrolman told her that if the  cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplane -- when your tires lose contact with the pavement your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.  We all know you have little or no control over a car when it begins to hydroplane. You are at the mercy of the  Good Lord. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling  through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat
sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed-but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry."

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132600724 -->

Don't you people in California ever drive in the snow & ice?
tounge.gif
I know you get rain every now & then!
biggrin.gif

Ha...and I was just driving from my son's school with it set in the pouring rain...well, live and learn...
smile.gif

Thanks for the info...

Good advice. Even more so if you're in the midwest in late fall and early spring where there is black ice on the bridges in the mornings. One moment, you're on dry pavement and as you come onto the bridge, you're on black ice. If you also have your cruise on, you may find yourself doing half a dozen three-sixties in the blink of an eye.

Happened to me many many many seasons of suns ago.

--Wag--

ehh We un plugged the cruise control in my truck...it had issues. Damn I miss it too!!
But that was one thing I remembered from Drivers ED.

I like having control of the gas in the rain. It is the only time I don't use the CC.

I dunno... I didn`t get it. CC could not acelerate the car when traction lost. Well, I guess it depends on cruise control manufacturer. I own german RWD cars only and those never do that.
I think that using CC in the rain/snow/nights/traffic is not safe and every car user manual reccomended not to.

I dunno... I didn`t get it. CC could not acelerate the car when traction lost. Well, I guess it depends on cruise control manufacturer. I own german RWD cars only and those never do that.
I think that using CC in the rain/snow/nights/traffic is not safe and every car user manual reccomended not to.
I agree Vic...

Wouldn't CC slow down when traction was lost because the wheel would have no/low friction? Therefore the CC would think the car was moving faster and adjust the speed and back off the pedal?

CC wouldn't just continue accelerating until you were airborn. I mean the wheels would register 100mph+ (with RPM's through the roof) when you were set at 60mph and start to hydroplane. Right? So it would seem the reverse to me.

Anyone able to explain how this would happen... I'm lost!

I have a Isuzu Trooper with CC and it's never been very smooth with the manual tranny so I never use it.
Good info though.

The only way to stop this wheel-spin and maintain control is to immediately reduce power. However, an activated cruise control system will continue to apply power, keeping the wheels spinning. By the time you disengage the cruise control, you may have lost control.

I dunno... I didn`t get it. CC could not acelerate the car when traction lost.  Well, I guess it depends on cruise control manufacturer.   I own german RWD cars only and those never do that.  
I agree Vic...

Wouldn't CC slow down when traction was lost because the wheel would have no/low friction?  Therefore the CC would think the car was moving faster and adjust the speed and back off the pedal?

CC wouldn't just continue accelerating until you were airborn. I mean the wheels would register 100mph+ (with RPM's through the roof) when you were set at 60mph and start to hydroplane. Right?  So it would seem the reverse to me.

Anyone able to explain how this would happen... I'm lost!
First, I received this info as an e-mail from a good friend who obviously had it forwarded to them. So there is no evidence to support it.

I guess it might depend on where your speed sensor is(which wheel) and if you have RWD or FWD.

Plus as DAB mentioned the CC probably doesn't apply the correct accel or decel as the car goes into a hydroplane.

I've never experienced this before or even thought about it because I always use the pedals in bad weather.

But apparently some people do use CC in rain, so I just wanted to pass it along.

Don`t get me wrong... This is a great info to start thinking about it. I think that info is not complete/correct. I will be trying to replicate it this winted on both RWD cars, one manual and one auto... and I will post here as soon as it icy..
smile.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

Dosen't happen. If you have a manual and push in the clutch, you don't hit the rev limiter. Same principal. The tires won't spin over the speed you are traveling. Most cars have traction control in one form or another.

Back