Ever Got Locked Out of Your Car?

Creekboy

Registered
I had a freind of mine call me yesterday, she was locked out of her car, and told me that she had a freind who told her how to get in, without having to go home and get the keys or having someone bring them too her. So this morning I asked my wife to do this for me before she went to work and I be damned if it works...heres what ya do

One can't believe it, but this works -- who'd a "thunk" it???

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, call someone at home on your cell phone and ask them to get your car keys. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at home press the unlock button on your keys while holding it near the
phone on their end.
Your car will unlock. It will save someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles
away, and if you can reach someone who has the "remote" for your car, you will be able to unlock the doors (or the trunk this way!)
I just thought I would share this.. cool huh...laters Mick

I don't believe it...
laugh.gif

I locked my Stang up after having a battery die on me, getting it charged up enough to get to the auto parts store, etc...I was hours from home...anyway, I didn't want to cut the car off when I got to the store (bad battery), so I left the key in the ignition, took the keyless entry device and locked her up...went in the store...

When I went back out after buying the battery, the keyless entry wouldn't open the door while the key was in the ignition and the car was running...WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?  Not me...so, feeling very stupid and sooo "female" and "blonde" at that moment, I had to humbly go in the auto store and confess my sins...a guy came out and essentially had to jimmy the hood open to cut the car off so it wouldn't just sit there running for hours...

I had to call the hubby and wait 2 hours while he drove to where I was to unlock the damn car with a spare key...I now carry a spare key with me in my wallet.  I learned a valuable lesson that day...KEYLESS ENTRY DOES NOT WORK IF THE CAR'S LOCKED AND RUNNING...what a dumb way to learn that...
wink.gif

Creekboy told me the moon is made of cheese ... I believe him
biggrin.gif

I don't believe it...
laugh.gif

I locked my Stang up after having a battery die on me, getting it charged up enough to get to the auto parts store, etc...I was hours from home...anyway, I didn't want to cut the car off when I got to the store (bad battery), so I left the key in the ignition, took the keyless entry device and locked her up...went in the store...

When I went back out after buying the battery, the keyless entry wouldn't open the door while the key was in the ignition and the car was running...WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?  Not me...so, feeling very stupid and sooo "female" and "blonde" at that moment, I had to humbly go in the auto store and confess my sins...a guy came out and essentially had to jimmy the hood open to cut the car off so it wouldn't just sit there running for hours...

I had to call the hubby and wait 2 hours while he drove to where I was to unlock the damn car with a spare key...I now carry a spare key with me in my wallet.  I learned a valuable lesson that day...KEYLESS ENTRY DOES NOT WORK IF THE CAR'S LOCKED AND RUNNING...what a dumb way to learn that...
wink.gif
I did something similar but mine worked. My starter was going out, so I didn't want to shut the truck off at the parts store. I did the same thing with leaving it running and took the keyless entry device. Went in bought the starter came out hit unlock and everything was fine. I don't know why yours didn't work but it has always worked for me (other similar instances).

I think thats just a ford thing.. i'm 99% certain chevies will still work even if the car is moving down the road.

If I remember I will check it out sometime today though..

that cell phone thing... eh.. I am skeptical.. but I may try that one too if i remember it.

Well, I work for the phone company, and this really won't work. The remote for your door locks is a radio transmitter. How exactly do you piggy-back a non-audio signal across a GSM network? Even an audio signal won't work over GSM due to the amount of compression used - the conversion is lossy, and the network only transmits sound in a relatively narrow bandwidth (what a human can hear), so if your car remote sounds like an analog modem trying to connect to the internet, there is a (very, very small) chance that this might work, otherwise I have to call BS.

Sorry Creekboy,

smile.gif

LOL...my wife came home yesterday and told me a story about this cell phone car unlock.

Her friend read something about this on an email...she called her husband at work to give this a try( he is an auto mechanic with a since of humor). She asked him if he would take the cell phone out to the suburban and she would click the unlock button on the remote to unlock the doors. He walked by the suburban and said ok try it...she did and he said wow that's cool it works!...she was screaming hey guys it works! She said lock it up again I wanna try it again...he did and she tried it again...she asked...did it work? He replied HELL no it doesn't work what's the matter with you. Everyone was laughing at her.

um. how exactly are you going to video it? if the transmitter, the car and the camera are all in viewing distance of each other, the transmitter is probably close enough to the car to work w/o the phone.

Sorry again, but this just won't work the way you described it.

Well, I work for the phone company, and this really won't work. The remote for your door locks is a radio transmitter. How exactly do you piggy-back a non-audio signal across a GSM network? Even an audio signal won't work over GSM due to the amount of compression used - the conversion is lossy, and the network only transmits sound in a relatively narrow bandwidth (what a human can hear), so if your car remote sounds like an analog modem trying to connect to the internet, there is a (very, very small) chance that this might work, otherwise I have to call BS.

Sorry Creekboy,

smile.gif
Totally agree. Pure BS. If cells broadcast every RF signal pointed at them, the whole network would crash.

Back