Cruise Control in the rain...

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, it was raining last night, and I was taking my friend back home. I had cruise control on on the interstate when she flipped out saying Cruise Control will cause the car to hydroplane... Now, from my experience, I call BS on it, as Cruise control moniters either wheel speed or engine RPM, and not just keeps the throttle at a constant position, except some aftermarket styles (Correct me if I'm wrong)... So, If the drive wheel were to lose traction, the Cruise Control would automatically compensate and keep the tire or engine RPM at the desired range, and not skyrocket or drop to the point of losing traction... My thoughts on the myth coming about is to keep others paying attention, as most drivers can't drive for crap anyway, and when they use CC, their attention drops even more. So, if they were using CC before the rain hit, then it rains on them, they continue at whatever speed they were going no matter what since CC has them covered. THat would be the problem, not really paying attention and speeding. So, your thoughts?  
rock.gif

if anything i think it would have the opposite effect.. Most vehicles ive seen if the rear tires are spinning the speedo reads interstate speeds and you aint goin nowhere fast
smile.gif
.. My guess would be if you do lose traction the wheel speed would increase making the car reduce the throttle because the car thinks the car is going faster than it is.....in an older car that was carbureted with no computers on board i could see it being a problem as there is no computer to reduce/increase speed, so the speed you set it at is where it stays.....so if the wheels start spinnin you better be takin off the c/c or tappin the brakes..my 2 cents...sam

Actually i think she is correct. It would not be as smooth as a person in a slip trying to compensate for too fast a reading and just cut the power. There are lots of wrecks that have come from using it in the ice/ rain etc. I'm going for a Busa cruise.
all_coholic.gif

This is more or less true. You should NOT use cruise control in slippery conditions (rain or snow and ice). The problem is if the vehicle slows down, say for a hill, the CC will detect the slower speed and of course activate the accelerator. If the vehicle doesn't get up to the set speed soon, then the CC will give it even more gas. If it does this and at the same time the transmission down-shifts it will cause the tires to spin. This usually makes the back end of the vehicle swerve (with rear-wheel drive anyway) to one side due to torque. At this point you can easily lose control.

I think most car spedometers (and hence the CC) get their speed indication from the transmission. You can see this by watching the indicated speed increase when stuck in snow or mud. One would think the CC would see the same thing in the scenerio above and try to reduce speed but it would all depends on the reaction time of your CC. Before that happens you could be in the ditch.

correct most cars get speed readings via speedo cable in older vehicles or hall effect generators/electronic speed sensors in tranny's...

I do not use my cruise control in the rain for one simple reason....I want to be able to slow down by lifting my foot off the accelerator and not by having to tap the brake.

She is correct you should not use cc in adverse weather.. Plain and simple not a good idea even for someone with years of driving experience..

Without cruise going thru a corner you naturally let off the gas as to not spin out.. With cruise it will keep it the same speed causing the front or back wheels to spin losing traction and therefore causing you to spin out..

I use cruise in the rain only if its a light rain and straight aways..

Drive careful.. Roads are the slickest in the first half hour of the rain starting due to the oils on the roads..

She is correct you should not use cc in adverse weather.. Plain and simple not a good idea even for someone with years of driving experience..

Without cruise going thru a corner you naturally let off the gas as to not spin out.. With cruise it will keep it the same speed causing the front or back wheels to spin losing traction and therefore causing you to spin out..

Drive careful.. Roads are the slickest in the first half hour of the rain starting due to the oils on the roads..

(DR1300R @ Jun. 30 2007,17:03) She is correct you should not use cc in adverse weather.. Plain and simple not a good idea even for someone with years of driving experience..

Drive careful..  Roads are the slickest in the first half  hour of the rain starting due to the oils on the roads..
Well, in the sense of a road with turns on it, I don't use CC... I just use it on Straights and the interstate. Now, if it's raining heavy, I don't use cc, I use my foot, but that more for you can't see as well, and you have quicker reactions with foot on the gas...

I had a 1998 Chevy reg cab. and when my first born was in a carrier in the middle on a trip one time she kicked the gear shift (column) into nuetral and the engine revved up until I hit the brake. Scared the bajimmies out of me until I figured out what happened.

I have not tested my newer rides.

....so my answer would be yes.... if you slow (from water) down, the cruise will try to get back to that speed. It may even say in the owners manual about not using vcruise in the rain.

better safe than sorry

Back