waaayyy off topic...

tbonebusa

Donating Member
Registered
Okay...for reasons still unclear to me, I have decided I want a Rolex watch. Anyone got a connection before I give my hard earned cash to some stranger?

TBone

Hey man!

Wanna buy a watch?
wink.gif

Sorry TBone, hadda say it. Good luck on your quest.

Remember, if the second hand ticks (instead of a steady sweep) it's a fake!
cool.gif

They sell 'em for cheap at the local flea market here. I could pick ya up one if you'd like.
biggrin.gif

well i know this girl... she's got a great personality..

wait.. why are you guys talking about watches?

oh.. ehhh... i need to start reading the posts I guess instead of just the topic subheaders...

WOW, I guess we Know who makes all the money around here...LOL

I would suggest a classic old one or you could do what I did and buy a solid gold replica and save thousands. Mine looks exactly the same except it is blank on the back (no emblem or serial number on back). I have the daytona:

I bought mine in Turkey (in person) but I'm sure they would ship:

I would not pay more than $2000. There are sites on the web that sell these kind of replicas for > $3000.
disclaimer - at your own risk (I would use a credit card) & I receive no commission for their sales

Last edited by a moderator:
forget a rolex !!!! get a tag , i can get u a hook up on some tag hauer watches my buddy owns a jewelry store
beerchug.gif
if you still want a rolex i can see what he can do

forget a rolex !!!! get a tag , i can get u a hook up on some tag hauer watches my buddy owns a jewelry store  
beerchug.gif
 if you still want a rolex i can see what he can do
yeah...looked at Tags and Bulgaris (sp?) in vegas this week....I'm not even really a watch guy, but I made a promise to myself that when I achieved a certain goal financially I would buy a Rolex....partly because my father always had a admiration of them, yet never had the chance to own one. Not looking for anything fancy, a simple submariner with a black bezel, all stainless band, either with or without date. Retail seems to be around 3600 w/o date, 4200 with. I don't know enough about them that I would be comfortable buying used from a stranger, so I'm hoping to find someone who can point me in the right direction.

what about a TISSOT
I got mine for my graduation
it have the chronograph, blue faceplate and all stainless steel
only $400.

Most important thing, if you want a Rolex, make damned sure you buy from an authorized dealer, make certain your warranty and paperwork is all in order as well.  If your Stainless, yeah I would buy new.  

If you are really looking for a status watch/reward though I would look real hard at IWC, Audemars Piguet, and of course Patek Philippe.  Really get something special for your money, not just paying for the crown.  Don't get me wrong, Rolex makes fine watches, but these others especially Patek Philippe really make exceptional watches....

But, if what your really after is impressing a neighbors or something then I would get a Rolex... it's kind of the standard issue "status symbol".

Check out Patek Philippe.com

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085676670 -->

I bought my Rolex during a drunken trip down to Tiajuna Mexico. The deal was too good to be true.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>$ 30.00</span></span>

It may not actually be a Rolex, but it IS a dam nice watch for $30.
laugh.gif

I like Movado's, so I now own three of them, makes me feel European.
biggrin.gif
My next watch will be a Rado, $1700-3600.

The easiest way to tell if you are getting a real Rolex is by looking at the second hand. If it moves in one second increments, IT'S FAKE. All the cheap fakes do this. A real Rolex's second hand smoothly sweeps around the dial with no ticks, jumping, or jerking.

If it is heavy like wearing a brick on your wrist, it's probably real.
laugh.gif

Don't care for them myself since I like thin and sleek watches. If the price is to good to be true, it's probably a BOLEX.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I don't see the attraction to watches that cost thousands of dollars, I mean the damn thing tells ya the same time no matter if it cost ya $50 $5000 or $50000.
You could spend that money on something useful like a turbo, or another bike.
Can someone please explain this to me.......I'm curious, seriously!!

Tbone...I've owned mine for about 15 years.  Oyster Perpetual datejust with the full yellow and white gold bracelet.  I think mine goes for around $6500.00 now.  I've found a few pains with it.  First, if you need work done PROPERLY you have to send it back to the factory.  Its expensive and somewhat slow.  I broke the pin that holds the bracelet and it cost me close to $200.00 to get it fixed.  Also, be prepared to spend about $500.00 for a major tuneup every five years.  If you don't,  the seal that seals up the winder may fail and good bye watch at that time if you get any water in it.  Also, if you don't do the tuneups, it wont keep proper time.  Having said that, I have worn mine as an everyday watch and they are tough as hell!  I've smacked it many times and just cringed thinking I broke it.  It's never let me down.  Plus..I guess the bling is kinda nice
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
     Oh.....and get it INSURED!!!

BTW...Sane_man..they actually do tick...just in about 1/4 second increments....thats why if you dont look close it looks like they sweep.

biggrin.gif

Tbone...I've owned mine for about 15 years.  Oyster Perpetual datejust with the full yellow and white gold bracelet.  I think mine goes for around $6500.00 now.  I've found a few pains with it.  First, if you need work done PROPERLY you have to send it back to the factory.  Its expensive and somewhat slow.  I broke the pin that holds the bracelet and it cost me close to $200.00 to get it fixed.  Also, be prepared to spend about $500.00 for a major tuneup every five years.  If you don't,  the seal that seals up the winder may fail and good bye watch at that time if you get any water in it.  Also, if you don't do the tuneups, it wont keep proper time.  Having said that, I have worn mine as an everyday watch and they are tough as hell!  I've smacked it many times and just cringed thinking I broke it.  It's never let me down.  Plus..I guess the bling is kinda nice
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
     Oh.....and get it INSURED!!!

BTW...Sane_man..they actually do tick...just in about 1/4 second increments....thats why if you dont look close it looks like they sweep.
Are you serious Sled......now I'm really baffled as to why someone would by one.
I have a decent lookin Timex....it's about 15 years old.......Cost about $100 years ago, and I've spent nutn on it since.......still keeps time like new.
You guys are freakin me out here
wow.gif
wow.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif

Don't wanna step on any feet....I like ya all, but WHY.......WHY......WHY?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

biggrin.gif

wow.gif

eek2.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

imo rolex = status tag = style me personally if my buddy didnt own his own jewelry store i wouldnt be wearing a tag i would still be wearing my old trusty fossil
beerchug.gif

I think I have it.
Wearing a Rolex over a Timex is like riding a Busa over a ZX10.........or any other bike out there for that matter.
Am I right!!!

I think I have it.
Wearing a Rolex over a Timex is like riding a Busa over a ZX10.........or any other bike out there for that matter.
Am I right!!!
sorta...for me it's not about status as much as it is for my Dad...he always admired Rolexes and wished he could have one, but it never made sense for him financially. We would joke when I was a kid that I'd buy him a Rolex when I made my "first million". He passed away when I was 18, so I never had the chance to get him one, needless to say.
It's just that I admire quality items, and also like the dealings I've had with "high end" retailers. When I take my ford truck in for work (which cost 45k), I feel like I'm bothering them with my business. When I take my Mercedes or BMW in, the service experience is so much better I can't find words to describe it. Customer service is a lost art in our day and age, and it seems only high end products still have a chance at approaching levels of service that I deem acceptable. (I have heard that Saturn dealers may be among the best, however.)
It's kinda like when I bought my first Busa....I didn't NEED it, but I WANTED it because it was right for me, and it was the best of it's breed. I don't NEED an expensive watch, I WANT one......
Now....who's got a hookup!

I think I have it.
Am I right!!!
sorta...for me it's not about status as much as it is for my Dad...he always admired Rolexes and wished he could have one, but it never made sense for him financially. We would joke when I was a kid that I'd buy him a Rolex when I made my "first million". He passed away when I was 18, so I never had the chance to get him one, needless to say.
It's just that I admire quality items, and also like the dealings I've had with "high end" retailers. When I take my ford truck in for work (which cost 45k), I feel like I'm bothering them with my business. When I take my Mercedes or BMW in, the service experience is so much better I can't find words to describe it. Customer service is a lost art in our day and age, and it seems only high end products still have a chance at approaching levels of service that I deem acceptable. (I have heard that Saturn dealers may be among the best, however.)
It's kinda like when I bought my first Busa....I didn't NEED it, but I WANTED it because it was right for me, and it was the best of it's breed. I don't NEED an expensive watch, I WANT one......
Now....who's got a hookup!
OK...got it Tbone....thanx!!

Sorry bout yer Dad dude.....would be a nice thing to have, so that every time ya look at the time, you think of him....cool!!

Back