Visor fogging

IG.

Registered
I don't know how everyone deals with that, but here is my story... Past and present.

For years, I had been riding with Fog City permanent insert which was glued to the inside of my visor. It worked pretty well most of the time, however this approach had a few flaws. First, the insert itself ever so slightly distorts the view - sort of like a lens, but barely noticeable. Second, the insert invariably rubs against the upper edge of helmet as you open and close the visor, and in the exact area where your eyes are looking through the visor. So, over time, this area becomes a bit scratched. Third, on really cold and humid days, somehow moisture gets in between the insert and the visor and starts fogging inside, starting from the lower part of the visor, and gradually disappears as you ride at speed. There seemed to be no cracks in the seal provided by a special glue on the insert, but it would happen on occasion. So, I lived with these minor annoyances, but avoided fogging most of the time, and didn't have to worry - just flip the visor and go, and not afraid to breath at a stop light. I guess over the years the three conditions I mentioned deteriorated enough. A couple of years ago, I got rid of the insert, and decided to get by without it.

The simplest way is of course to crack the visor open at a stop light/slow speed to prevent fogging, and close it as you pick up speed. A bit annoying, but works pretty well. I tried a couple of sprays/liquids specifically designed to prevent fogging. One came in a spray, and another one was military grade liquid in a small bottle. The spray was terrible - very marginal results. Spray on the visor. it foams, and then you buff it up. The military grade liquid worked noticeably better. I even used it on my ski goggles. A drop of liquid on visor/goggles, then buff it up. It doesn't remove fogging completely, but reduces it significantly and noticeably.

Then, I read somewhere that a drop of liquid hand soap works the best. I used it many times by now, and found this to be the best solution, easily available, and free. I literally put a drop of a hand soap on a small piece of paper towel, and smudge it all over the inside of my visor. Let it dry for a few minutes, and then buff it up with a soft cloth until the visor is completely clean. It reduces fogging at least as good if not better than the military grade liquid, and lasts for many hours.

Oh, I did try breath guards in the past. They are pretty effective, but still leak some breathing out, so the visor still fogs up a little. Also, putting the helmet on with a breath guard may be a bit annoying.

So, how does everyone deal with this issue? Aside from stopping to breath altogether, LOL

I use a Nolan N-104 helmet (best airflow in any helmet I've ever worn, and I've worn many!) with the pinlock anti-fog system. I can say on a 16 hour ride in the COLD weather in Alaska from Deadhorse to Anchorage, and about half of that in 40 degree rain, I never once fogged up. It's quite a combination of airflow and anti-fog. By the way - that trip was NOT on my Hayabusa! :laugh: Had to take the DR650 out for that trip!

I tried liquids, sprays, and inserts and decided that the easiest thing was to just pop the visor open occasionally. I dont know why none of the manufacturers have attacked this issue. I was thinking about a double layer visor, maybe a thick layer on the outside and a thinner one on the inside. Seems like they could do something like that.

I don't know if your pinlock didn't fit well maybe, or was defective, but mine has zero distortion. I used to use soap and have tried other anti-fog wipes, but even those fail after a while. I was totally convinced after that trip. Cold weather, moisture, long hours with a visor that HAD to stay down and no fogging, quite a testimonial to me! :-) Could be that Pinlock isn't all that great in some helmets, but with the great air-flow in my Nolan, it really worked exceptionally well.

I don't know if your pinlock didn't fit well maybe, or was defective, but mine has zero distortion. I used to use soap and have tried other anti-fog wipes, but even those fail after a while. I was totally convinced after that trip. Cold weather, moisture, long hours with a visor that HAD to stay down and no fogging, quite a testimonial to me! :-) Could be that Pinlock isn't all that great in some helmets, but with the great air-flow in my Nolan, it really worked exceptionally well.
I just cud never get it to work properly. I always had some distortion in my vision. much less during the day but at night it was horrible. I found it very difficult to put on without gettn finger prints all over it every time.

I use the fog city insert :laugh:

Was a pain in the azz to install but it works or at least it works for now.... riding home from work in the mornings was becoming unbearable :banghead: even the crack open then close visor method wasn't working. especially in 40 degree temps. @ least with the insert so far I don't have 2 do that. Tried the wipes, tried the spray, nothing works as well as the insert. I was even considering one of those snow mobile helmets for fall riding it was getting on my damn nerves that bad! :laugh:

I tried liquids, sprays, and inserts and decided that the easiest thing was to just pop the visor open occasionally. I dont know why none of the manufacturers have attacked this issue. I was thinking about a double layer visor, maybe a thick layer on the outside and a thinner one on the inside. Seems like they could do something like that.

Snowmobile visors are double layered but they're not approved for street use. The plastic is thinner than the motorcycle visor. Allot of people have heated visors so they don't fog up in the very cold.

I usually just crack the shield also.

Check your local scuba diving shop for some anti fog solution. They sell bottles for 4-5 bucks.
It's made for plastic scuba goggles but I'd make sure it doesn't affect the particular shield you have (tinted, etc)

Here's some spray for auto windows which mentions visors also
Anti-Fog Spray for Autos, Paintball, SCUBA, Diving, Swim, Mask, Goggles & Visors
Ebay 191404760647

Spit Anti Fog Spray Defog Scuba Mask scuba cleaner dive
Ebay 150844578114

I can tell you the scuba stuff works pretty well under cold water

Thanks for all responses so far. I guess I will stick with what I do now. I wish they made the surface of the visor itself to be fog resistant.

Then, I read somewhere that a drop of liquid hand soap works the best. I used it many times by now, and found this to be the best solution, easily available, and free. I literally put a drop of a hand soap on a small piece of paper towel, and smudge it all over the inside of my visor. Let it dry for a few minutes, and then buff it up with a soft cloth until the visor is completely clean. It reduces fogging at least as good if not better than the military grade liquid, and lasts for many hours.

I tried this today and it really works. I was going to buy a pinlock from RevZilla, not anymore. I just used some WalMart hand-soap and buffed it out, Works great. :thumbsup:

The problem with the hand soaps, liquids, and wipes are it's on a temporary solution. Meaning it lasts for only a short amount of time and then needs 2 be reapplied over and over. Not a big inconvenience but what happens when your in a rush or 4get to do it?? A Lot of people are looking 4 a more permanent solution like a Anti-Fog face shield or something along that nature where you just install once and never have 2 bother with it again....

Back