Good Tip--No Fog

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
Out for a chilly ride yesterday in Philly, and as usual, had all the vents open on my helmet (Shoei RF-1000). And, as usual, had to crack the visor (Shoei has a setting on the visor) because of fog (hot breath + cold air = fog). On the highway, I thought I'd close all the vents ... and ... there it was, clear visor!

My guess? With the bottom front vent washing cold air up onto the visor, combined with hot breath from my nose, you get fog. Close the vent ... no cold air ... no fog. Even stayed clear sitting at lights sitting with the visor closed until it got way too cold (and then I only needed to crack it at the lights--not while riding).

+1 .....most of the time this has worked for me too . But sometimes it seems like nothing keeps the fog out .

Where did you ride yesterday? I went out to... It was windy like a mofo. I was fogging up... Will try switching vents.

My trick?  Take a couple drops of dishwashing detergent (I use palmolive) and rub it into the inside of your visor with a soft cloth until it disappears.  Do not wipe it off just rub it in like a wax.  It will prevent fog for a couple weeks if done right.

(Spike @ Oct. 30 2006,11:15) My trick?  Take a couple drops of dishwashing detergent (I use palmolive) and rub it into the inside of your visor with a soft cloth until it disappears.  Do not wipe it off just rub it in like a wax.  It will prevent fog for a couple weeks if done right.
Will that mess up the look of a mirrored or tinted visor ?

Will that mess up the look of a mirrored or tinted visor ?[/Quote]

Not at all, you won't even notice it is there. Once you rub it in it disappears. I have a mirrored visor just so you know I am speaking from experience.

Oh and you can do this on your bathroom mirrors at home too. That always annoys me when they fog up too much in the wintertime after a steaming shower.

(jessup @ Oct. 30 2006,11:14) Where did you ride yesterday?  I went out to... It was windy like a mofo.  I was fogging up... Will try switching vents.
My "usual"--from Old City, up Kelly Drive through Manayunk, onto 76 and 476 to the Turnpike (stop for coffee), then Turnpike to Willow Grove (stop at Ferracci if it's a Saturday), then on a nice day, to New Hope, but yesterday, came back down 611 to Rt. 1, back onto Kelly Drive, and home. Maybe we can meet up sometime for a ride?

Wind was bad, but I've been in worse--on 95, with the bottom of the bike almost thrown out from under me. So I kept the speeds down.

These work great!!! I would not own a helmet without one, never fogs up.FOGGYS

FOGGY_20GHOSTcomp__Small_.jpg

I can ride some of this week and definitly during the weekend...
E

(Spike @ Oct. 30 2006,11:36) Will that mess up the look of a mirrored or tinted visor ?

Not at all, you won't even notice it is there.  Once you rub it in it disappears.  I have a mirrored visor just so you know I am speaking from experience.[/Quote]
Will try it out when I ride to work this weekend . Should be nice and cold then .

Thanks Spike !

i have a shoei X-11....supposedly noted for visor fogging...but i use the breath guard and close the vents when it's chilly out and so far?...no problems at all....except one early morning...'bout 50 degrees out....stuck at a dead stop traffic light for like 5 minutes...hadta crack the visor and let some of the steam out....other than that?...np.
biggrin.gif

(Spike @ Oct. 30 2006,00:36) Will that mess up the look of a mirrored or tinted visor ?

Not at all, you won't even notice it is there.  Once you rub it in it disappears.  I have a mirrored visor just so you know I am speaking from experience.[/Quote]
+1 Trillion!!!

Works like a gem everytime!! And this is in 28 F mornings so far. I do it for the winter trackdays as well. You really need to since I spend most of my time under the windscreen.

Works really well if you close all the vents like everyone sez. If you have the Shoei RF-1000, use the chin curtain as well.

(Spike @ Oct. 30 2006,08:15) My trick?  Take a couple drops of dishwashing detergent (I use palmolive) and rub it into the inside of your visor with a soft cloth until it disappears.  Do not wipe it off just rub it in like a wax.  It will prevent fog for a couple weeks if done right.
Scuba divers use the same trick...it's a diluted solution of liquid dishwashing soap and water...call it leprechaun piss. Personally, I would use a diluted solution.

Not a long-term fix per say but it works. As long as you wipe it until it's thouroughly clear....same as putting soap/shampoo on a mirror in a steamy bathroom.

Here's a real cheap solution. It's the same vinyl material ($1.77 yd) you buy to throw over your lawn furniture to protect it. I held it in place by putting it between the cheek guard snaps. That and a little Rain-X anti-fog on the inside of the visor and I had no problem riding to work Friday with a RealFeel of 11 F.

IMG_1427.jpg

Back