Velocity Stacks?

2000TransAm24

Donating Member
Registered
Been looking around for some time for decent velocity stacks. Seems finding the right design has been quite challenging for the Gen3. Then I watched Chris Moore's latest video on the carbon smith velocity stacks and got a bit excited! They are pricey but the end result is a step in the right direction in having no lose in low and mid range power while extending the top end. I definitely miss the gen1 days where you just bought all short stacks for 40ish bucks and called it a day. My only concern is how they will hold up in the long term to repeated heat cycles. Plus I have a habit of over tightening things which is scary on intake parts that could be brittle. Thoughts?

I put Carbon Smith 3D printed velocity stacks in the '18 gsxr1000R over a year ago, and have put around 3k miles on them.
I also put on a full M4 exhaust and Sprint filter, and Chris Moore flashed and dyno tuned it.
The velocity stacks have held up just fine, and work very well.
Use a torque wrench when you install them and you won't have any problems.
The stacks are also not brittle, the material is somewhat flexible.

20210312_210136.jpg

20210312_210146.jpg

20210312_210125.jpg

I put Carbon Smith 3D printed velocity stacks in the '18 gsxr1000R over a year ago, and have put around 3k miles on them.
I also put on a full M4 exhaust and Sprint filter, and Chris Moore flashed and dyno tuned it.
The velocity stacks have held up just fine, and work very well.
Use a torque wrench when you install them and you won't have any problems.
The stacks are also not brittle, the material is somewhat flexible.

View attachment 1654747

View attachment 1654748

View attachment 1654749
Do you think the dimple version work better? They are $100 more.

Do you think the dimple version work better? They are $100 more.

They claim they found a couple more hp with that improved design, that the new ones worked better with the gsxr's upper set of 'shower' style injectors.
My friend said he was going to get them whenever I do his next round of mods, which will include cams.
But, even if I just swapped the stacks, who knows if any small gains would actually be noticeable or not.

Just posted the install in the performance thread, just installed my Carbon Smith stacks now.

Now about the notice. Well yes if properly tuned yes. You need a tune for the exact mods completed not an about the same tune but an exact match. Moore Mafia or go home tune.
In Moores latest video he says the stacks would almost be a drop in part.. I don’t think if you’re already tuned that a retune to fit the stacks is netting you much. I’m already dyno tuned at MooreMafia and could ride that same bike with the billet stacks out of Cyprus and I’d doubt you’d feel the difference. Moore does say the billet stacks are the best he’s tuned with bit I bet the difference is only to be seen on a dyno.

I don't race her at the track, only street ride her. In my case I have the Woolich kit with auto tune hardware as well as access to the map via my laptop. Today I'm hoping to ride her and auto tune the fuel map to correct the fuel map cells.

As far as Moore working on an optimized map for my exhaust I was told to wait but at the end of the day, cams maybe required to truly fix the issue. Gen3 cams have a decreased cam lift compared to gen2 and that looks to be the next bottleneck on NA setups.

TSS Supercharger looks more appetizing at that point. Rather pull the engine for a cylinder spacer for 100hp+ for $6000 than 10hp for $1000

What did Chris Moore do on his gen 3 that made 247 whp? As much as I love boost I still believe N/A is king. And I find it hard to believe someone will put out a cam set for only 10hp gin, hardly seems worth it.

What did Chris Moore do on his gen 3 that made 247 whp? As much as I love boost I still believe N/A is king. And I find it hard to believe someone will put out a cam set for only 10hp gin, hardly seems worth it.
1475cc

Depends what type of racing you’re doing..

Maybe just fit Gen2 cams if you want that extra 10 hp, with more valve overlap

Maybe just fit Gen2 cams if you want that extra 10 hp, with more valve overlap
No one will confirm but apparently the cam lobes are wider on the Gen 3 but the journals are the same. Not to mention the timing pin on the cams are different position. I haven't seen anyone to confirm it will or will not fit.

UPDATE: Carbon Smith velocity stacks do make everything feel smoother even down low on light throttle. Auto tune only had a few errors from Moore's tune the max I saw was 8% error which is now resolved.

As far as the smoother I think it has something to do with the dome design being wider and sweeping better I'm not entirely sure but the bike is not as jerky if at all in 1st & 2nd light throttle which did kinda piss me off before. It's like the bike use to choke waiting for the air velocity to be sucked in with the factory stacks, almost like a snap feeling before.

Even if your not chasing HP numbers I would recommend to anyone.

UPDATE: Carbon Smith velocity stacks do make everything feel smoother even down low on light throttle. Auto tune only had a few errors from Moore's tune the max I saw was 8% error which is now resolved.

As far as the smoother I think it has something to do with the dome design being wider and sweeping better I'm not entirely sure but the bike is not as jerky if at all in 1st & 2nd light throttle which did kinda piss me off before. It's like the bike use to choke waiting for the air velocity to be sucked in with the factory stacks, almost like a snap feeling before.

I remember on one of Moore Mafia's videos he spoke of smoothing out the "snatching" with ECU tuning...the bike he was tuning had stock velocity stacks...

I can't recall which video but he was showing the "snatchiness" of the throttle in those gears...he showed the before and after tune and the "snatchiness" was gone after....

I don't race her at the track, only street ride her. In my case I have the Woolich kit with auto tune hardware as well as access to the map via my laptop. Today I'm hoping to ride her and auto tune the fuel map to correct the fuel map cells.

As far as Moore working on an optimized map for my exhaust I was told to wait but at the end of the day, cams maybe required to truly fix the issue. Gen3 cams have a decreased cam lift compared to gen2 and that looks to be the next bottleneck on NA setups.

TSS Supercharger looks more appetizing at that point. Rather pull the engine for a cylinder spacer for 100hp+ for $6000 than 10hp for $1000
Hi. Or a turbo! But do not go with a Garrett G42-1200c and do the motor and trans too. You will be very happy.

No one will confirm but apparently the cam lobes are wider on the Gen 3 but the journals are the same. Not to mention the timing pin on the cams are different position. I haven't seen anyone to confirm it will or will not fit.
Another altered timing pin AKA GEn1 to Gen2, maybe brocks will do another offset pin

That's encouraging to hear. I'd have no plans to install any, but if reducers the jerkiness of 1/2 gear I'm all for it. It drives me nuts.

I was amazed at how fast these shipped. One thing I did notice is there was a slight lip on the inner diameter of the stacks as well as the divider. Of course airflow dictates I had to take a razor blade and smooth out these restrictions :)
Also the scraps will be soaked in gasoline for endurance tests.

Screenshot_20220830-050652_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220830-000724_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220830-051523_Gallery.jpg

20220830_052541.jpg

Last edited:
Back