Valve Spring replacement

arthur39

Registered
Anybody know the easiest way to do this? Can It be done with the motor in? thanks in advance. I'm assuming the head needs to be pulled OR Are there any special tools to compress the spring and hold the valve without pulling the head?

If you can pressurize the cylinder, and the springs are stock, it can be done, it wont be easy!

And a guaranteed, knuckle buster!

tha'ts what i thought, I have a fairly new cometic gasket in there, would u guys buy another one or can it be used again?

A lot of people use the same head gasket without issue.

Me, if it were untorqued I like to replace it. $80 is nothing compared to the reassurance you don't have to tear back into it for a leaky/blown gasket. Just my preference.

EDIT:
((As a matter of fact, (I have to check) I believe I have an OEM head gasket in the garage for the Gen II that has not been opened. I'd take $60 shipped in the US. I believe the price sticker on it is high $80's. PM if interested))

it's a gen 1 probably go with a cometic, still pondering how Im going about this. Probably just lean the engine forward and pull the head.

I would pull the head and change the springs. If you are going to lean the engine forward you may as well take it out as you are only one bolt away at that point. IMO It is easier to work on it when the engine is out of the bike.

As for the head gasket, I am amazed how many people will try to reuse one. For 80 bucks to get a new one the piece of mind of not have to remove the head again is well worth the cost.

Back