replacement fork springs

Cykill

Donating Member
Registered
OK, here's the deal. My fork seals are starting to leak, so time to replace them.

Now, if i had the extra $$$ i'd love to buy Ohlins for the bike, but just can't swing it. BUT i was considering replacing the springs. does anyone have any insight on if there are good/upgraded replacement springs that would be an improvement over the stock, of if it's not worth it. I'm not real heavy, about 185-190lbs. I know some of the bigger guys 240+ have replaced the springs, but i'm assuming that was because of weight issues and the stock springs.

BTW i'm a twisty type of rider. my main goal is to improve handeling.

So i guess 2 real questions, who makes upgraded springs, and is it worth it to do.

Thanks

(Cykill @ Apr. 14 2007,01:32) BTW i'm a twisty type of rider. my main goal is to improve handeling.

So i guess 2 real questions, who makes upgraded springs, and is it worth it to do.
I used the Sonic Springs this time .

I ride the twisties only as well and they are working good for less bucks .

Key thing is getting the fork oil viscosity and amount correct with any spring or for that matter , when just replacing seals .

I just replaced my fork springs with RaceTech 1.0kg springs.  Also installed RaceTech Gold Valves (compression) along with synthetic fork oil.  Total price installed was $390 from a RaceTech certified mechanic at our local performance bike shop.

Like you, I weigh 190 pounds, and according to the RaceTech website calculations, a .964kg fork spring is recommended.  You can only get the fork springs in .95, 1.00, or 1.10kg weights, so I went with the firmer spring rate.  I ride twisties and street, with an occasional track day.  

The results are worth the investment if you like to ride the Busa in the corners.  The stock OE fork springs are something like .87kg, thus a 160 pound rider.  The ride is much smoother, and there is no nose drive under heavy braking.  This setup will increase your cornering confidence, and make your bike more stable.  Less pogo-stick feel.

PM me if you have any additional questions.

Back