Valve inspection

Metricman

Registered
Hello, my bike just turned 24 months old. But I only have 7000 miles on it. According to the manual the valves should be checked at 24 months or 7000 miles, whichever comes first. Getting the valves checked by a local dealer is about a 6 hour job. I guess my question is, can I wait until 14,000 miles for this or is it really a mandatory thing that I get checked at 24 months. That seems like pretty often and very expensive if you have to do this every 24 months.
Any input on this would be appreciated !
Thanks !
Mike

Ummmm...
rock.gif
...I'm gettin pretty close to 20k on mine now, still haven't done the valve check thing~ Guess I should get-r-done soon~
blush.gif

I'd follow the manual's guidelines as far as mileage/time are concerned.

If you're looking to save money you could check the clearances yourself, then at least you'll know if they need to be done. After that, it's your decision if you do the adjustment yourself, or have a dealer do it.

Depends on how confident you feel about doing your own maintenance.

So, your telling me that every 24 months I need to pay someone ~$400 just to check the valves, if I'm not comfortable tearing into it myself ? Seems like this really adds to the expense of owning this bike.
If you add up the higher insurance and poor rear tire milage all of a sudden its a very expensive bike to own. Yes its fun to have one of the fastest out there, but at the end of the day, your the only one that cares about that. There are a lot of other lower maintenance bikes out there that are allot fun. Just gets me thinking is all. Afterall, $$ maintenance costs do make a difference.

Hello, my bike just turned 24 months old.  But I only have 7000 miles on it. According to the manual the valves should be checked at 24 months or 7000 miles, whichever comes first.  Getting the valves checked by a local dealer is about a 6 hour job.  I guess my question is, can I wait until 14,000 miles for this or is it really a mandatory thing that I get checked at 24 months. That seems like pretty often and very expensive if you have to do this every 24 months.
Any input on this would be appreciated !
Thanks !
Mike
The owners manual says 15000 miles not 7000.

Regardless of the service intervals, maybe you should've done some research into cost-of-ownership before you bought one? Information's here on this site.

And if you think $400 is a lot, try owning a Ferrari...

And I don't know any bikes that don't require valve adjustments at intervals of about 15K. Heck, my Duc needed it every 6K. And that's an expensive operation.

It's really not that hard to do most maintance on our bikes yourself...The valves are easy to check...adjusting the valves is a bit more complicated...valves are one thing that scare me a bit but its only every15,000 miles and when mine were done all were in spec. and it was only around $250 or there about to get her done, not $400

If you only have 7 grand on her I would just ride it and study up on maintance
biggrin.gif
you can do it and there are some awsome folks here willing to help ya thru it...
smile.gif

HAd mine checke at 15,000 and they were fine . I haven't done them on my 04 yet and its at 18,000.

Proper adjustment is worth a few ponies. I believe on the tight side of factory spec's. Thats what one of the guys at Factory jet kits told me for my 9.

You can always save on labor by having the bike stripped down when you take it to the shop. Take off the plastics (also keeps the shop from scratching them up), remover the airbox and other things that cost so much to do, that you can do yourself. They cant charge you labor for what they didnt do.

Checking the valves should NOT be a 6 hr job - for the dealer, I can't see it taking more than an hr just to check them. Now, if they need adjustment - THEN I could see it taking 6 hrs (but I think that's high, too.)

Checking them is actually fairly easy...

Checking the valves should NOT be a 6 hr job - for the dealer, I can't see it taking more than an hr just to check them. Now, if they need adjustment - THEN I could see it taking 6 hrs (but I think that's high, too.)

this includes plastics removal...tank...etc...all the goodies that have to come out prior to getting the valve cover off....then doing the adjustment (it's really tight on the busa to work in there) ...plus reassembly of all previously removed parts.

I am sure the the 6 hours is for lash check and adjustment of those necessary out of the 24 valves. plugs, filter and oil will likely also be included..perhaps even a carb sync.

I personally will take my bike in stripped and ready to work on.

I had the dealer do a full service (oil, filter, all fluids, chain clean-adjust-lube, nut & bolt, and a few other things I don't remember) and valve check at 15K. Took it in with all the plastics on it, picked it back up ready to ride for $350-$375 dollars.

purchase the service manual and do the check yourself, you will be ahead $$ in the end and know your Busa is at least put back properly. As far as the valves being out I checked mine at 35700k and they were perfect. P.S. and I drive it like its stolen LOL

Thanks for all of the comments. My only concern was that having to check this every 24 months. But from these posts it sounds like most of you are having the valves checked based on miliage. Also, I am fairly confident after reading more about the valve check that it si something I could do myself. Mike

purchase the service manual and do the check yourself, you will be ahead $$ in the end and know your Busa is at least put back properly. As far as the valves being out I checked mine at 35700k and they were perfect. P.S. and I drive it like its stolen LOL
Yes thanks alot for the posts, this is just what I'm wondering too. Keep on ridin'!

(omslaw @ May 26 2006,22:38) Checking the valves should NOT be a 6 hr job - for the dealer, I can't see it taking more than an hr just to check them. Now, if they need adjustment - THEN I could see it taking 6 hrs (but I think that's high, too.)

omslaw, i agree w/ you.....but its just like car mechanic - htey charge by book rates. these are determined by manufacturer mechanic using hand tools. it may take mechanic 1 hour to do job, but if book rate is 5 hours. they will charge for 5 hours. i dont agree with it, but mechanics have to make their bread too.

Jeez. When I did mine the first time, it took three hours and I'm a total newb. That includes the time it took me to synch the carbs, change the plugs and remove and reinstall the fairings. I think I mighta waxed the bike during that time, too! Well, maybe not that last! I fully expect it to take less than 90 minutes next time.

Go by the miles but honestly, I first did mine at 24,000 or so and it was all good under there.

Hell, six hours would include the cool down if you drove it over there! Maybe that's what the book rate is based on.

Find a different shop.

--Wag--

Back