Valve Adjustment Interval Question?

Skowinski

Registered
New to the Hayabusa, but have been riding for 45 years and owned about 28 bikes, so I'm comfortable in the garage. Just got this great condition used 04 Busa with only 5,800 miles. I have a pdf copy of the service manual, and it says first valve check at 15,000 miles or 24 months (at least that's the way the periodic maintenance chart seems to read to me...). The last part has me wondering. I know brake fluid, engine oil, does deteriorate with time. But, valve adjustment?

Should I tear into the engine and check the clearances, or is it probably ok to go for awhile. Engine sounds just fine.

Tempted to just do it to satisfy myself... :yes:

If you need to do it for piece of mind have at it...On the busa they will start to make a little noise when they need adjusted though...these motors are tough as nails!!

At 15k they will all be in spec. I'de be willing to bet at 30k they still will be too.

Thanks for the comments guys. :beerchug: Interested in any other experiences/opinions from the collective widsom! :yes:

I have a 51,000 mile Honda CBR900RR 1994 model. It just had it's first valve out of spec at about 50,000 miles. Seems amazing to me.

I just tore into my friend;s engine with all kinds of internal problems at 18k miles, and it was 100% in spec.

I checked mine at 50K...for the first time:whistle:...ALL valves were smack in the middle of the tolerence.

Now at 76K I'm just beginning to hear a slight tap at start-up.

I checked mine at 50K...for the first time:whistle:...ALL valves were smack in the middle of the tolerence.

Now at 76K I'm just beginning to hear a slight tap at start-up.

Wow, 50k miles, that's brave! ??? I'm way too paranoid, and I have obsessive-compulsive anal-retentive hyperactivity disorder when it comes to motorbike maintenance. :laugh:

Back