Should I adjust my valves?

ty454

Registered
Well I was convinced that this winter I would have to adjust my valves - my bike has 28k miles on it and last spring when i checked they were getting close to the loose end of tolerances.

So today I took her apart and checked the clearances. Here's what I found:

5 exhaust valves at .305mm (.012")
2 intake valves at .203mm (.008")

The remaining valves were within clearance levels. Last time I checked, those exact valves had the same readings so they haven't moved in the last year. Technically those 7 valves are right on the borderline for being considered loose, although Suzuki says exhaust valves are loose at .310mm and intake valves are loose at .210mm.

So the question is - should I go through all the effort of pulling the cams myself (dealer is not an option) to try and bring them further in spec? I don't plan on checking the clearances again for another ~7-10k miles (or next winter, whichever comes first).

My dad, a motorcycle mechanic from the days or old says he doesn't think it's worth it since they're still that close to being in tolerance and are on the loose end instead of the tight end.

What's the consensus here? Should I go through that effort now or revisit it when I check them next time?

I should add that part of this is an effort to track down a minor vibration which developed earlier this summer. I had posted up about it a while back and was hoping a throttle body sync would finally resolve it. While it did improve throttle response, unfortunately my vibration still remains. About the only thing I haven't checked yet is timing chain stretch, but I can't seem to find a spec in the manual. Does anybody have any info to help me check for stretch on this?

Thanks for all your help

i'm no motor mechanic by any means but i know enough to be dangerous...that said... it sounds like you got some things apart and if all you have is time and snow on the ground i would work it now that way your not in the middle of the next riding season IF something breaks...adjust your valves check/replace timing chain if you suspect it...vibrations may come and go but if they stay...usually it stays long enough for you to get complacent about it and then something breaks hard... my .02's Good luck!!

Back