Valve adjustments!how often? price?

umairhashmi

Registered
So far i have about 1600 miles on my 06 Busa and i havent gone through the whole manual.Im assuming valve adjustments are due around the 15000 mile mark? How much do they normally cost? Is it okay to get this done at a mom n pop motorcycle shop or should i pay the higher price at the dealership? I have suzukis 5 yr extended warranty so i dont want to do anything to void my warranty.

15k is right. As for the adjustments, take it to the Suzi dealer. Taking it elsewhere may void your warranty.

that would be dependant upon your dealer. Ask them how much they charge per hour for labor. That'll give you an idea as to how much they're gonna try an charge you.

My engine needs that too...but I think they charge like $75-80 here. Robbery!!

I just had mine to the dealer for the 15K check. It was about $150 for them to check the clearance. Everything was within spec, so no adjustment was necessary. Do not tell them to adjust the valves. The Hayabusa valve train is very stable, so just have them check and call if anything else needs to be done. The adjustment if its necessary is expensive.

since i'am at 11k on mine my dealer wannt's $525 for valves,oil, filter, air filter. not to bad plus i know them.

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: "Trigger Happy"|1147402132 -->

since i'am at 11k on mine my dealer wannt's $525 for valves,oil, filter, air filter. not to bad plus i know them.
Wow, that seems high for just checking the valves and the rest. I can't see just checking the valves taking more than an hour or so, especially for the dealer...who's - presumably - done that before!

Now, if they need to do the adjustment...then I can see it costing that much.

If you are going to take it to the dealer, you can save some money and possibly some damage by taking the bike to them with the plastics off, and replace them yourself when the work is completed.

<!--EDIT|GSXcite
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147482680 -->

If you are going to take it to the dealer, you can save some money and possiably some damage by taking the bike to them with the plastics off, and replace them yourself when the work is compleated.
Well I asked my dealer about that and he said it would not save any money. He said it only takes them like 5 minutes to get the fairings off so they would charge about the same. Now heres the scoop on price. Taking it to a Suzuki dealer to actually have the valves ADJUSTED is about 4 hours worth of labor which is around 60$ an hour plus the cost of the shims if you need them which is about 20$-30$. So that brings your average cost of adjustment to

260$ - 270$

Not a cheap thing to have done but if you have the full warranty it must be done.

If you are going to take it to the dealer, you can save some money and possiably some damage by taking the bike to them with the plastics off, and replace them yourself when the work is compleated.
Well I asked my dealer about that and he said it would not save any money. He said it only takes them like 5 minutes to get the fairings off so they would charge about the same.
It will save you money from damage they cause that you don't catch right away.

You wouldn't believe the careless and deception I've had with dealers. Never again. I'm going to learn how to check and adjust my own valves.

what good is warranty anyway? It's like pulling teeth with dealers. It's better to do your own maintenance excetp tire crap.

Consider doing it yourself. I've done it on Katana 600 a few years ago, and it's a bit time consuming but not as complicated as you may think. Just do it slowly and carefully - what you gain is not only the money you saved, but 1)all the money you will save down the road, 2) new level of expertise, 3) a great sense of satisfaction.

what good is warranty anyway?  It's like pulling teeth with dealers.  It's better to do your own maintenance excetp tire crap.
That depends on the COMPANY that you take the warranty out through and the dealer I beleive. I have had to take my bike in 4 two issues that were not MAINTENANCE related. Zuk paid for them both with not one bit of arguing. The dealer asked what warranty I had and I told him the Zuk 48 months extended and he just laughed and was like hell I don't even need to see paperwork on it then and asked when could I get the bike to him? I took it in and no questions asked the work was done and the key was put back in my hand. My next bike I will TOTALLY have this warranty on it. It has saved me about 1200$ so far and its only one year into the extension.

what good is warranty anyway?  It's like pulling teeth with dealers.  It's better to do your own maintenance excetp tire crap.
That depends on the COMPANY that you take the warranty out through and the dealer I beleive. I have had to take my bike in 4 two issues that were not MAINTENANCE related. Zuk paid for them both with not one bit of arguing. The dealer asked what warranty I had and I told him the Zuk 48 months extended and he just laughed and was like hell I don't even need to see paperwork on it then and asked when could I get the bike to him? I took it in and no questions asked the work was done and the key was put back in my hand. My next bike I will TOTALLY have this warranty on it. It has saved me about 1200$ so far and its only one year into the extension.
what went wrong with your chit?

I paid $375 for my 15K service at the dealer. Oil change; chain clean, adjust, and lube; check valve lash; nut and bolt; top off the fluids. Don't let them talk you into adjusting the valves without proof they are out of spec.

Well I asked my dealer about that and he said it would not save any money. He said it only takes them like 5 minutes to get the fairings off so they would charge about the same. Now heres the scoop on price. Taking it to a Suzuki dealer to actually have the valves ADJUSTED is about 4 hours worth of labor which is around 60$ an hour plus the cost of the shims if you need them which is about 20$-30$. So that brings your average cost of adjustment to

260$ - 270$

Not a cheap thing to have done but if you have the full warranty it must be done.
Thats what I'm talking about. You can't put the plastics back on and line them up in 5 min. without scratching the crap out of your bike, breaking some of the $5 plastic push pins, stripping the fairing screws etc etc etc.!!

<!--EDIT|GSXcite
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147483108 -->

Dude, the dealers in miami, ft lauderdale area charge min 85-95 an hour. at thoses prices just get your own set of tools and they pay for themselves like craftman break and replace warrenty. and you'll get save big $$ just in the knowledge you'll be learning for future bikes you'll own. I mean Jinks and Dak are just an 1 1/2hr ride north in psl and they seem extremly friendly and knowledgable.

Back