Valve adjustment -- need help!!

supernova1987a

Registered
Christmas is around the corner and I'm broke. The Busa idles pretty rough, and if I twist the throttle and then let go the bike would just die on me (only happens when the engine is cold though). I hear some noise that sounds like valve tapping. With 20K miles on the Busa it's almost time for a valve adjustment. So here are my questions ---

1. Can I do the valve adjustment myself?
2. What tools do I need?
3. Where can I get a good price on the shims?
4. Any tips/suggestions on the Web?
5. Anything else I should check once the fuel tank is removed?

Thanks a bunch!!
1zhelp.gif

Disclaimer:
I have never done this but have seen it and know how.  

The first question should be answered by you.  How much wrenching experience do have?

Standard mechnaics tools will suffice, you will need a torque wrench for sure.  To my knowledge (and I have not yet checked the manual) you do not need any special tools.

OK I am looking at the manual...
It dosen't look like you will need any special tools.
Torque wrench
Feeler gauge
Micrometer

You will have to remove the cams to get at the shims.

There are 2 table to determine which shims to use based on the clearance you have, the shim you have and what you will need.

Inspection of tappets every 15K miles
Valve clearance (for my '02) is :
Intake - .004 - .008"
Exhaust - .008 - .012"

I think this site is hosting an online manual.

In theory your dealer (if they are friendly and cooperative) will swap you shims for a nominal cost.

Be sure to buy all new gaskets.  Yes they are expensive but it is not worth doing the job if your baby is going to leak afterwards.

Hope this helps.

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "forgot the mic."|1070511788 -->

Thanks Mikey D. I have all the tools so I'll probably give it a try myself. Worse after worse I truck my babe to a dealer. Anyone can give me a quick step-by-step guide by any chance?

Your idle is just too low. The tapping sound is normal and you only notice it now out of paranoia. Your tappet clearance is very likely in spec. Even if it weren't, the symptoms would not match.

hey guys, I am just at 17K miles right now and have allways done my own maint. ie, change plugs, oil, brakes, tires, coolant and a few simple mods, but have not done the oil pressure test, tappet inspection or throttle valve sync. Does this need to be done soon and anything else I am missing that needs to be done now? Busa is running ok but i would like her to run perfect...
biggrin.gif

Thanx - Kent

If you can read a manual, lift a wrench and yell curse words, you're qualified to check your valve clearance.
laugh.gif

well I guess that would make a VERY skill worker. IM good at yellin curse words and I own just enough tools to get me into a world of hurt.

im an aircraft mechanic and have done brakes, oil, tires, nid mod, flashback mod, lowering links, intake tube mod, etc, myself but i am VERY reluctant to do the valve inspection myself. i have tapping and chattering at operating temp now at 29100, so im sure im up for it now (havent pulled it yet because i have heard from many in the forum that might as well not do it until they start talkin). im debating on taking it to the dealer because im so skiddish ab it. im afraid of getting the timing off and making a mess out of it all...shes my baby.
Posted via Mobile Device

Re: Valve adjustment -- need help!!

Checking the clearance is no problem. Changing the clearance is more of a PIA. Just look at and read the manual a few time's. If you are not sure about something re-read 2 or 3 time's or ask here before guessing and you will be fine. I do like the post about the idle being too low. Where is your idle set? 1200 rpm would be good.

Sounds like synching the throttle bodies is in order. Also check your idle. The trottle position sensor may be out of spec also. All these are DIY projects that should take only about an hour. Do a search for each and see what the bike runs like before adjusting valves. Check plugs while the tank is up. Good luck.

Adjust the idle and sync the throttle bodies. Unless you are severely abusing the bike, you won't need to adjust the valves until you are past 50,000 miles. Its aways good to check them every 15,000 miles as a safety precaution.

im an aircraft mechanic and have done brakes, oil, tires, nid mod, flashback mod, lowering links, intake tube mod, etc, myself but i am VERY reluctant to do the valve inspection myself. i have tapping and chattering at operating temp now at 29100, so im sure im up for it now (havent pulled it yet because i have heard from many in the forum that might as well not do it until they start talkin). im debating on taking it to the dealer because im so skiddish ab it. im afraid of getting the timing off and making a mess out of it all...shes my baby.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you're a certificated A&P, you have all the skills you need to check your valve clearances. Just be sure to do it stone cold (sitting overnight), as you should know.

That said, "adjusting" the valves if you have one out of spec is quite a bit harder than checking the clearance. Requires pulling the cams if I am not mistaken (haven't done this to my Busa yet, but think it has shims under bucket design). Pulling the cams on a Japanese four is substantially different than anything on a pushrod aircraft engine.

Back