Vacation time

I never understood why some people rarely take time off.
I have around 4 and a half weeks of vacation...and 9 hours left to use this year, lol.
For myself, I was deployed quite a bit so it was hard to take time off.

Add to this, in our military each time there is a statutory holiday, we would get the Friday (or Monday) added on to make it a 4 day weekend...

I never understood why some people rarely take time off.

For many years of my life there was no redundancy provided to us. Every individual was a subject matter expert without backup but the operations were deemed critical. If I went on vacation I had a cell phone and was inevitably called. Then there was a massive pile of work waiting for when I got back. It was more painful to take time off then to not.

For many years of my life there was no redundancy provided to us. Every individual was a subject matter expert without backup but the operations were deemed critical. If I went on vacation I had a cell phone and was inevitably called. Then there was a massive pile of work waiting for when I got back. It was more painful to take time off then to not.
I can relate...but no longer care(unfortunately).
The company I work for has it's share of idiot management.
Bad parts? No problem, use them anyway.
Fine.
I hate to have a bad work ethic(not how I was raised), but after a while, and once drag your feet is accepted as much as bust your ass...people become comeplacent.
Ever met an Engineering Manager that Can't read a Vernier Scale/standard micrometer?? Nope...it's gotta be digital...spelled out.
My only desire to be rich is too no longer have to work with society...and to Choose the idiots I have to be around all day.

I can’t build it up so use or lose. So most the time it’s a week of working less. Full week off takes a week of catching up so most of the time it’s not worth it. But one week a year my boss pays for a vacation. The year before was Jamaica and this next year because of Covid it’s Orlando.

I have been with the same company now for 34 years and they provide me with 5 weeks of annual leave or you guys call it vacation leave ? a year plus I have accumulated over 1500 hours of long service leave which I have not used yet just saving it for a rainy day :banana: Just hope they don t force us to use it because the company now are forcing us to take annual leave if it goes above 300 hours I work 4 days on and 4 days off so I don t use much of my annual leaves :thumbsup:

Back