Update on: Hit From Behind

cerebusa

Registered
Hi guys, just talked to my mechanic pal and the bike has almost 6k damage to rear, every thing back there was hosed. Now I suppose its up to the ins. peeps to see where we will go from here. I go to the orthopedic doc on Monday to have this nerve or whatever that is making my back hurt checked out. I hope to get enough to get an 08 that I'm eyeballing at the Zook store near me. My fingers are crossed. I have not talked to a lawyer yet, I want to see where they go first. Thanks and I will let you know. Man I hate to loose this bike, it was in excellent shape, 1st my beloved 99 was taken then cellphone girl kills this one...

hope the backs ok, so u will be ok to ride that new 08. id get the doc to ck my back before any of the buying. if doc cant find anything have him do a mri on ur back. then if they see something u can go talk to the lawyer. u just dont wont trouble with ur back down the line, and then uwont be able to go back on the girl who hit u.

hope the backs ok, so u will be ok to ride that new 08. id get the doc to ck my back before any of the buying. if doc cant find anything have him do a mri on ur back. then if they see something u can go talk to the lawyer. u just dont wont trouble with ur back down the line, and then uwont be able to go back on the girl who hit u.

+1, and DO NOT CLOSE THE FILE with the insurance company for a least two years. You might get enought for an 08 now, but you may have another complication arise later regarding the accident and you'll be screwed.

don't sign nothing lol all the advice I have ever received from a lawyer, sounded better I guess when he said it.
If the back is messed you could have problems for the rest of your life you should compensated if thats the case I hope all goes well.

Thanks guys, I was hoping for this type of input from yall. Thanks so much and I will heed the advice. Mike...

I just posted on another forum about a great resource to save you big time on attorney fees--- www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/bjrexroth check it out and let me know what you think! --you can sign up right on line!

It has helped me out in the past--I currently have a lawsuit going for being rear ended in my car a year and a half ago. I was sitting at a stop light and then bam--rear ended. My neck was tweaked--her insurance told me to go and seek treatment--I went to the chiropractor for 3 months with no help--i then went to my general practice doctor--after x-rays and MRI they gave me 3 injections in my neck to relieve pain and physical therapy--now their insurance says they are not paying and my injuries were not incurred in the accident---i will keep you informed of the progress of the case. But definitely contact an attorney ASAP!!!

+1, and DO NOT CLOSE THE FILE with the insurance company for a least two years. You might get enought for an 08 now, but you may have another complication arise later regarding the accident and you'll be screwed.

+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

DO NOT CLOSE THIS CASE YET!! Speak to a lawyer ASAP!!! And do NOT buy a new bike yet UNTIL you've spoken to your lawyer. I don't know if you read a couple of my threads regarding my accident back in 05, but A--State Ins played big time HARDBALL and refused to settle until the weekend before our scheduled trial. My wife and I ended up getting max policy amounts, but only ended up with 40% after legal fees, atty fees, court fees, etc..

Document everything, keep all receipts, make sure you got your police report (that'll be your best friend), and make sure your side of the story is consistent at ALL TIMES.

Back to the bike. Cellphone girl's insurance company will launch an investigative period called a "discovery period." Basically, they're gonna hire some Private Investigators who will VIDEOTAPE AND PHOTOGRAPH everything you do. Watch your back. If you buy a new bike, but claim that you can't ride b/c of a pinched nerve in your back-yet the videotape shows you doing some high speed jaunts, etc....that may make your case a little difficult. Also, be careful what you say on message boards and what you post on a Myspace, Facebook account. They will frequent those as well just for more evidence to use against you. All in all, keep this case between you and an attorney.

Get a motorcycle specific attorney. They'll know every single trick in the book that most defense attorneys/insurance companies will try to pull. Remember, these companies are looking for a way to save money by not paying you a penny. And depending on how much compensation you want, the rival insurance company will drag this out as long as it takes. Mine took 3 1/2 years!!

+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

DO NOT CLOSE THIS CASE YET!! Speak to a lawyer ASAP!!! And do NOT buy a new bike yet UNTIL you've spoken to your lawyer. I don't know if you read a couple of my threads regarding my accident back in 05, but A--State Ins played big time HARDBALL and refused to settle until the weekend before our scheduled trial. My wife and I ended up getting max policy amounts, but only ended up with 40% after legal fees, atty fees, court fees, etc..

Document everything, keep all receipts, make sure you got your police report (that'll be your best friend), and make sure your side of the story is consistent at ALL TIMES.

Back to the bike. Cellphone girl's insurance company will launch an investigative period called a "discovery period." Basically, they're gonna hire some Private Investigators who will VIDEOTAPE AND PHOTOGRAPH everything you do. Watch your back. If you buy a new bike, but claim that you can't ride b/c of a pinched nerve in your back-yet the videotape shows you doing some high speed jaunts, etc....that may make your case a little difficult. Also, be careful what you say on message boards and what you post on a Myspace, Facebook account. They will frequent those as well just for more evidence to use against you. All in all, keep this case between you and an attorney.

Get a motorcycle specific attorney. They'll know every single trick in the book that most defense attorneys/insurance companies will try to pull. Remember, these companies are looking for a way to save money by not paying you a penny. And depending on how much compensation you want, the rival insurance company will drag this out as long as it takes. Mine took 3 1/2 years!!

+1 I had a lady pull out if front of me & I hit her broadside. Bike totalled & ended up having knee surgery. Her insurance co. offered me $800. I had
$25K in medical bills alone. Definately GET AN ATTORNEY. I ended up ok after I got an attorney.

Yep, there are people employed by the insurance companies whose job it is to screw people trying to get what is due them.

Kind of figured there would be damage...

I would speak with a couple different lawyers and find one you are are comfortable with (% rates are open to negotiations btw)

Careful about picking a guy that "tells you what you want to hear" vs what seems to be the consensus between a couple different ones..

Most insurance companies will fight to the bitter end and do not let any one tell you different, most wont settle at all and force a trial.. (Their lawyers are on contract and it does not cost them a dime more) This is unless they are getting a settlement that is well below the policy limits.. If they are well below the policy limits, they tend to pay out pretty quick..

As posted above, EXTREME documentation as well as a daily log (if you are having any physical issues, they will want a day by day, blow by blow accounting of pain, limitations as well as the good days you have) is a big plus... Also, policy limits usually come into play.. (unless the person that hit you has outside assets)

Good luck.. usually a pretty long road....

Last edited:

A big 1+. It can take a while for the inflamation to go away. Only then can the true extent of the damage be determined.

Good luck,
Chris

Back