Uneven Peg Feelers??

eynlai

Registered
I just posted about RedNeck scrapping his peg "feelers" and that prompted me to just take mine off because it's such a ugly feeling.

Look at what I found. The right side "feeler" is much longer than the left. Is this a screw up at the dealer when they assembled it together? Ran out of matching "feelers"?

By the way, some of you might urge me not to take mine off, but the way I see it, with the "feelers" on, it would impede my lean if I really needed to go that low to save my assss. I rather scrape the underside fairing anyday than find my lean blocked off by the "feelers" and cause me to run wide to wreak.

What do you guys think about the uneven "feelers"? Same on yours?

Photo_041305_001.jpg

I may be wrong about this..

but I've always heard that your weight should be on the opposite peg (left peg for a right turn, right peg for a left turn) especially when your really leaning into it like that..

assuming i'm correct with that then when the feeler hits the ground it's just going to push the peg upward thus getting it's own self out of the way.

On the right side the fairing will scrape sooner than on the left side. The feelers will pivot with the pegs, the fairings and engine cases won't pivot
wow.gif
they are on there to give you a gauge of how far you can lean the bike over before you start hitting body parts.

BA BUSA is correct, those feelers are on there for a reason. If you touch one to the pavement it's telling you if you lean further, you'll be draging your engine cover. Draging your engine cover is a very risky business. It can easily upset the grip the tires have on the pavement and launch your arse right out in the bushes. Well, in Texas I suppose you would be launched out into the cactus? Ouch!

On the right side the fairing will scrape sooner than on the left side. The feelers will pivot with the pegs, the fairings and engine cases won't pivot
wow.gif
they are on there to give you a gauge of how far you can lean the bike over before you start hitting body parts.
Totally agree... suggest you dont take them off!!

looks like one of them is for the centerstand. When I installed mine, it came with a set of longer feelers

Yes, the feelers are different lengths, apparently something sticks out a bit more on one side of the bike.

The replacement feelers for the center stand are longer, and also of unequal length.

The reason why it's there makes sense, but it's lightly scrapping them a couple of times that gives me the willy - chilly scared feeling. No pun intended. In those couple of times, I really really needed to lean as low as I can to keep from running wide (off the road, into the curb, park cars, etc...).

I guess it's choosing between the lesser of the two evils:

Peg Feelers ON: Limited to the grip point, no scraping of engine cover and risk running wide it something, off the road, being catapulted into a highside if the feelers snag on some hole in the ground.

OR

Peg Feelers OFF: maximize the lean angle to possibly pass the grip point of the tires risking lowsiding or slide out rather than running wide into something direct upright.

For now, I reinstalled them. Hmmm, they're a little crooked. Probably from the couple of light scrape incidents.

Its unlikely the feelers will snag/cause your bike to upset. The pegs will pivot to the rear and shouldn't upset the bike. You should never plan on leaning any further, especially on street.

Thanks alot!  Now I have something else to check into and/or think about.  Silly motorcycle.  I have on '02 LE.  Mine are the same length on both sides??  
rock.gif

smile.gif

I may be wrong about this..

but I've always heard that your weight should be on the opposite peg  (left peg for a right turn, right peg for a left turn) especially when your really leaning into it like that..
EGGO my buddy, stop waffle'n so much... hehehehe.

Dude, when yer hangin' off the bike in a high speed right hand sweeper, and yer azz is off the seat (to the right) , an yer right knee is draggin' on the ground, and yer right elbow isn't far from the blacktop either.....

how in the fug are you supposed to load up the opposite peg. ?

yer not doin' Crack again are you ?

juz fuggin' with ya.... tell ya what.... I'll make it up 2 ya...

I'll stop dissin' used car salesmen...

for 1 whole week....

Dude, when yer hangin' off the bike in a high speed right hand sweeper, and yer azz is off the seat (to the right) , an yer right knee is draggin' on the ground, and yer right elbow isn't far from the blacktop either.....

how in the fug are you supposed to load up the opposite peg. ?

yer not doin' Crack again are you ?

juz fuggin' with ya....   tell ya what....  I'll make it up 2 ya...

I'll stop dissin' used car salesmen...

for 1 whole week....    
I know it doesn't appear to make sense to me either.. hahah..

thats why I said I may be recollecting incorrectly.. but I don't think I am.. maybe some track junkies will chime in..

dont' stop dissin' used carsalesmen... I'm not gonna stop dissin' anytime soon..

haha I sell NEW cars.. trucks/suvs mostly... and I be sure to show the soccer moms where to plug the cell phone in at!1

haha

Back