footpeg feeler...on or off?

Stilslo

Registered
I hit up the twisties this morning and coming around a left hand corner my footpeg feeler(or whatever you call that piece of metal on the bottom of the footpeg) dug into the road pretty hard. Scared the crap out of me. Do you guys take yours off? I assume they are there so you don't scrape your exhaust. Might be a dumb question but, has anyone lost traction on the rear scrapping pegs?

Off. But depends on the rider.

Dsc04071.jpg

Dsc04070.jpg

IMG_0400_900.jpg

Dsc04071.jpg

Dsc04070.jpg

IMG_0400_900.jpg

with the pegs off, how much further over do you have to lean before you start scrapping other stuff?

with the pegs off, how much further over do you have to lean before you start scrapping other stuff?

That is up to you, your ability and set up. I have friends that scrape body work. My set up with suspension and exhaust allows quite a bit of lean, if stuff starts scraping then I have exceeded the limits of the tires.

That is up to you, your ability and set up. I have friends that scrape body work. My set up with suspension and exhaust allows quite a bit of lean, if stuff starts scraping then I have exceeded the limits of the tires.

well, I'm far from being a superstar, so at stock ride height and yoshi cans I guess I'm fine to take them off.

Just remember not only do you lean but you ideally want your body off of the bike as well if not your riding off of the tires!!

Balls! Them's some long peg feelers! Lol!

I've left mine on because I've only scraped them (lightly) at the track a few times.
PegFeelers6-23-2012002.jpg

The thought to take them off never enters my mind when I'm messing with the bike otherwise. I try to keep my body position on form, plus I'm over riding my line of site in the corners all to hell already, so I just can't go fast enough to drag them on the street.:dunno:

card16969 said:
Just remember not only do you lean but you ideally want your body off of the bike as well if not your riding off of the tires!!

I do tend to get lazy in the seat. Guess that would help too.

I removed the feeler and the weight. Looks much better and noticed no increase in vibration.

DSCN0516.jpg

I left mine on before I learned to drag knee pucks. I used them for a gauge of how far I am over. I havent touched my feelers since I learned body position.
When I started scraping the rear brake lever I knew I better change my riding postion which now I dont scrape and I take turns faster rather then before with the steep lean angle. Learn proper body postion.

2012-04-20_07-06-12_915.jpg

I removed the feeler and the weight. Looks much better and noticed no increase in vibration.

I was in fear of the vibration aspect. Do you wear riding boots such as Sidis which have a very thin hard sole to them. I do like the rubber feel on the boot but just didnt want the vibration on long interstate runs with the engine buzzing for hours.

I was in fear of the vibration aspect. Do you wear riding boots such as Sidis which have a very thin hard sole to them. I do like the rubber feel on the boot but just didnt want the vibration on long interstate runs with the engine buzzing for hours.

I wear Alpinestar Supertech R boots most of the time. I really have not noticed any increase in vibes. I do not ride on the freeway for extended periods. I don't think it would be a problem though.
alpinestars_2011_supertech_R_boots_black_white_vented_detail_1_600.jpg

Back