Tyres in the wet.

newman

Registered
When I was a dispatch rider in the 70s, I used to ride in all weathers, we used to have 250cc Suzuki's had I used to deliver all around London and outlaying areas.
I also had my own GS750, which I drove to work everyday.
Didn't really think about the rain and snow apart from driving more carefully of course, just took the weather as it came.
Now with the Busa if I am caught out in the rain I get very nervous, I think it is because of the power of the beast, and take to very easy.
I'm on my first set of tyre's from new, and was wondering how much you trust your tyre's in the wet, or if you have had any problems with them.

I ride alot in the rain and the only time I worry is turning at an intersection from a start. I do corner a little slower but 1st and 2nd gear are torquey so gbe careful.

i use avon storms and find they suit me and the bike very well , obviously i take it easier in the wet but also keep it smooth ,i try and think that bit further ahead and lay off the brakes ,its supprising just how quick you can ride in the wet :beerchug:

Been running Avon Storm then Storm 2 Ultra since 07. No complaints what so ever wet or dry.

tapatalked

I think biggest thing is being smooth on the throttle and in the turns. Keep in mind it takes longer and temps are lower for tires in the cold and wet.

well i remember having a kh250 and rode very quick in the rain.

main thing is thin tyres are good in the wet despite not being radial and at 21 your bloody immortal lol

i dont mind wet weather riding but bikes like the busa are not a nice thing to be fighting with on a slimy road

small bikes win hands down in the wet ie 500cc or less

Michelin PR3 or PR2 both very good in the rain.

2nd that, I have been in a downpour in my PR2's and they were very firm. I ride rain or shine and have never had a problem with the PR2. Although, I do slow it down and watch the turns a lot more carefully.

I run PR 3's, but it doesn't make me a Superhero. Quality decisions in your head will keep you upright.

Avon Storms are awesome in the rain. I've been using them for almost 4 years now and they've never disappointed me......not even in 12*F temperature. I have more than 60k miles of experience with them and I'm not planning on buying another brand anytime soon.

Trust your tires. Rain, wet, snow. Technique is all the same.

Dsc04515_800.jpg

Dsc04513.jpg

Dsc04515_800.jpg

Dsc04513.jpg

Pashnit, I was thinking of you as I done this thread.
You being out in all sorts of weather, I don't think I could do it.

Avon Storms are beyond awesome in the wet. Perhaps the very best out there, even.

That said, the Pilot Roads (both II's and III's) are themselves outstanding in the wet as well.

Interestingly enough.... due to an unrepairable puncture of a rear Storm, on my K8 I currently have an Avon Storm on the front, PR3 on the rear. :beerchug:

Rain or shine I ride. Only time I had a little oops was a year ago in the rain my rear tire was bald. She didn't like to lean :laugh: But other wise with good tread I don't second guess myself at all in the rain. I just stay away from the double yellow lines while turning.

2nd that, I have been in a downpour in my PR2's and they were very firm. I ride rain or shine and have never had a problem with the PR2. Although, I do slow it down and watch the turns a lot more carefully.

+1. I did some of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the rain, and my PR2s were awesome.

Newman, just remember that a handy hint of riding in the wet or poor conditions is to ride a gear higher, this should slow the throttle response down a tad.
The other way is to ride on the cam, this works but you better know what's up ahead of you :-)

I agree with you all about the Storm 2's, they are awesome in the wet.

Back