Turbo Lag

rrogers1973

Registered
How do you guys deal with the turbo lag. I have a 16g with 10lbs and you really cant go WOT until 5000rpm. You add timing and pull fuel? That would seem a little risky to me. Nitrous with a Hobbs? What can I do so I can do low rpm punch runs?
rock.gif
?

I think the only way to get quicker boost is to upgrade your turbo. I believe a dual ball bearing turbo will spool around 3000rpm but they tend to get pricey.

Mine spools quickly and around 4000.When I first put mine on I was thinking the same thing but it ended up being a a fuel problem and after I got that corrected it was a whole new bike.. I would go over everything one more time and see if you have any leaks or anything like that cause it should spool up pretty quickly... I am still learning turbos so I may be wrong but thats been my expereince so far

a 16g should spool alot faster then that
heck my t70 (70mm turbo) spools at 7k and its rated to flow 700HP lol

Mine spools quickly and around 4000.When I  first put mine on I was thinking the same thing but it ended up being a a fuel problem and after I got that corrected  it was a whole new bike.. I would  go over everything one more time and see if you have any leaks or anything like that cause it should spool up pretty quickly... I am still learning turbos so I may be wrong but thats been my expereince so far
What size turbo do you have and what was the fuel problem?

Sounds about right to me....maybe a TAD slow...My old T3 would start spooling around 4000 but really wasn't making much of anything until 5000, finally at 6000 it would be making its full 10 lbs.

What spring is in your wastegate? Lighter the spring, softer the spool. A 10lb spring will spool much faster then an 8lb, even before the point that its making a full 10lbs of boost.....ofcourse the problem with a heavier spring is you will have a higher peak boost and anything over 8-9lbs is a no no on pump gas.

I think if yours is making some pretty decent boost by 5k, say 5-6lbs at least, you are in the ball park. I mean hell are you doing roll ons from 3000 rpms? BUT you won't like that 18/38 gearing......its gonna feel like it takes forever to pull then.

Dude, you do not want the boost coming on any sooner. Lugging the engine at low rpm's is horrible on a stock engine, much worse with forced induction. You might want to change your riding style. That can, and will change the performance of your bike.

You need to ride a Bigbore Busa. I bet that style power delivery is what your after.

Sounds about right to me....maybe a TAD slow...My old T3 would start spooling around 4000 but really wasn't making much of anything until 5000, finally at 6000 it would be making its full 10 lbs.

What spring is in your wastegate?  Lighter the spring, softer the spool.  A 10lb spring will spool much faster then an 8lb, even before the point that its making a full 10lbs of boost.....ofcourse the problem with a heavier spring is you will have a higher peak boost and anything over 8-9lbs is a no no on pump gas.

I think if yours is making some pretty decent boost by 5k, say 5-6lbs at least, you are in the ball park. I mean hell are you doing roll ons from 3000 rpms?   BUT you won't like that 18/38 gearing......its gonna feel like it takes forever to pull then.
9lbs max on pump gas? with motor mods you can do more than that.........

Define "Turbo Lag" and why you can not go WOT until 5K... not making sense to me... (turbo lag is also a misnomer, off boost performance may be more of what you are talking about?)

Define "Turbo Lag"   and why you can not go WOT until 5K... not making sense to me... (turbo lag is also a misnomer, off boost performance  may be more of what you are talking about?)
I think it might be my fuel setup, if i am in 2nd gear around 5000 rpm and go WOT it will stumble for a second then build fast. I have just had it tuned and have a begi FMU with stock injectors.

Define "Turbo Lag" and why you can not go WOT until 5K... not making sense to me... (turbo lag is also a misnomer, off boost performance may be more of what you are talking about?)
I think it might be my fuel setup, if i am in 2nd gear around 5000 rpm and go WOT it will stumble for a second then build fast. I have just had it tuned and have a begi FMU with stock injectors.
need to get it to your tuner, they should be able to eliminate any stumble..

What spring is in your wastegate?  Lighter the spring, softer the spool.  A 10lb spring will spool much faster then an 8lb, even before the point that its making a full 10lbs of boost.....ofcourse the problem with a heavier spring is you will have a higher peak boost and anything over 8-9lbs is a no no on pump gas.

I think if yours is making some pretty decent boost by 5k, say 5-6lbs at least, you are in the ball park. I mean hell are you doing roll ons from 3000 rpms?   BUT you won't like that 18/38 gearing......its gonna feel like it takes forever to pull then.
9lbs max on pump gas? with motor mods you can do more than that.........
I was talking about on a stock compression motor..... Really 6-7lbs is better on a small turbo like a t3 or 16G but....they may or may not live with 8-9lbs.....all depends on the tune, the fuel quality and how its ridden.

My low compression setup was running 10lbs(actually 11-12lbs w/ some boost creep) for 3 yrs on pump gas until I decided to do a hard 6th gear run.....at 177mph(gps) it melted down.... The AFR was in the low 11s.....It was just too much boost for pump gas for too long...

Sh*t happens...

HEy speaking of that stumble.. im running a 16g turbo with about 14lbs of boost on a built motor. when i get in it i get a hesitation or a "stumble at about 6000rpms. i thought maybe i had a bad plug. so i changed all of them. i shift out of the gear when it stumbles because i just bought the bike and i dont wanna hurt anything. any ideas?

i would change gearing im running a 17/45 and mine is pretty quick off the get go..

or just get the sticker that states "Turbo lag.. That split second you thought you were gonna win!!!"

Back