turbo question

jermzfree

Registered
Can you ride a turbo busa with a stock swingarm easily? Does mpg change if ridden in low rpm with turbo? Does the reliability of the engine go downhill with the instillation of a turbo??

I'm running 250 hp stage one with the stock arm. I'm 6'4" and 265lbs and don't really have a problem with wheelies in 3rd gear or higher. 1st and 2nd I would be carefull with the throttle. My bike isn't lowered either.
MPG went down in my case, from 28 to about 20. My worst tank was about 80 miles, but it was a VERY hard 80 miles.
Reliabilty is about the same if you ride it normally with only a few burst here and there. You do have to replace your plugs about every 1000-2000 miles though. Make sure you read your instructions, cause I didn't and found out the hard way about extended boost periods and blown head gasket.
TURBO'S ARE TOTALLY WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a video of a stock length hayabusa running 13-14 psi, wheelies thru 3rd and sometimes in 4th with 19/43 gearing.

The best mileage I've had with the turbo was 32 mpg cruising on the interstate for a couple hours. The worst I've had was around 25 mpg beating on it, I usually average around 28 mpg.

Build it for what you're going to do with it and keep it maintained and you should have a reliable motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Change spark plugs every 1000-2000 miles? That can get pricy if you use it as a everyday bike! Is there somewhere I could go to read up on the turbo kits? I'll google mr turbo and see what I can find.

The only time I have had any problem with plugs is when I went to full leaded race gas, when I was on pump I never had to change my plugs. Even with the leaded race gas I have only gone through 1 set of plugs this year. Most of it has to do with your tune.

I change the plugs as preventative maintence. I ride the hell out of my bike and like the extra security. If you plan to just cruise your turbo bike, than a stock motor will be just fine.

I have ran up to 8000 miles on my plugs without changing them,but i also have secondaries. With a stage one you might need to change your plugs more often.

28mpg to 20? holy crap.... I have never seen less than 32 flogging the bike to death (stock) BUT hp cost....

Do tell where you can use the extra power?
smile.gif
I have a tough time getting what I have to the ground safely

Back