Tripleclamps: Solid 1 piece vs Top cover only?

wrenchmonk

Registered
I'm considering lowering the bike but not sure if I want to replace the top clamp entirely or just the top cover on the clamps. I'm currently looking towards just the top cover replacement to allow the forks to slide up because of the lower cost. The only benefit of the full solid replacement piece, that I can see, is that it would have a stronger structural support. Anyone who has changed there stock clamps have strong opinions on either one?

Either choose will get you to what you want (the ability to lower the front end). If budget is the issue then do the replacement cover. If you've got a few extra coin then replace the whole top.

I replaced mine with a PMR piece and have no regret in parting with the $$$. It's all up to you...
lurk.gif

I would have used a PMR one-piece unit, but it would not have fit with my GPR stabilizer. I wanted black anodize and I ended up with a Spencer Cover replacement. There are several out there, but stick with someone reputable. I have not heard much favorable  from the Yani Shiki models even though the skeletonized one looks pretty cool.  

The PMR has to be one of the nicest 1 piece units I have seen. On Cycles makes a beautiful setup but if price is even a small consideration, you’ll rule it out. ks-waterbug has one on his bike.

gps1.jpg

I used the PMR unit as well. Fit and finish was great...it was a cleaner looking install.

Both ways work fine though.

4sale_7x.jpg

I also have the PMR 1 piece and love it. You shed alot of weight ditching the stock 2 piece design. If you don't plan on installing a topmount steering damper, this is the way to go. I used a top mount Ohlins damper, but I had to modify the topclamp mount to work, no big deal.

turbo14.JPG

Has anyone used the Trac Dynamics clamp? I think that is the one I am going to use, I like the look and it appears to be very strong.

this is my favorite top clamp but I have no idea who makes it.

b99a5922.jpg

(fstbusa @ Aug. 05 2007,06:44) this is my favorite top clamp but I have no idea who makes it.
Agras makes this one. Tough to find and one fo the most expensive. Very nice tripple though.

I've decided on the Spencer top cover as I'm considering GPR stabilizer later. It's not the best aesthetically pleasing one but it seems more than functional for this particular application. Excellent pics and info received. Thank you all.

(fstbusa @ Aug. 05 2007,06:44) this is my favorite top clamp but I have no idea who makes it.
this looks like a 3 pease set, the trippole and clip ons, look up vortex as well they bake some thing like this, i also use the pmr and i love it, easy, clean double pinch bolts. and not much more than the replacment tops!

Back