B-King/Busa triple swap, for those who are interested

mcantar

Registered
So I'm building a streetfighter style Busa (Gen 2), and wanted to use the B-King triples. They were designed to not only be functional but to look good as well, since there's no fairing to cover them up like there is on a Busa. They also have a slightly larger clamping area on the lower triple, for what that's worth.
I looked around for a while trying to find dims on the B-King bits with no success... I googled, I called shops and salvage yards (including Soupy's, who was very friendly but unable to help), and nobody could give me anything useful. The only numbers I found on the BK is the rake, which is slightly more than the Busa (unnoticeably small difference).

So I figured screw it, worst case I'll swap stems or machine a spacer or something, no big deal.

I'm sure SOMEBODY out there somewhere has thought about or wants to do this, and maybe hasn't because of the lack of info available. Good news... the're almost a direct bolt on.
There are two issues: first, the back of the top clamp has a minor clearance issue, and second the B-King lower clamp does not have a mounting point for the steering damper. Both can be worked around very easily.
Here ya go...

Busa vs B-King:
21cwokx.jpg

2i0t0kn.jpg

Here's your main issue. You can either shave the triple, clearance the tank, or use some kind of spacer to raise the height of the top triple (I wouldn't recommend that).

350m71d.jpg

k9hwsj.jpg

I opted to shave the triple. There are two threaded holes underneath that area that's left... I'm not using them, but I left them because I didn't want to detract from the structural integrity of the part and it wasn't worth the time to model it on the computer and do stress analysis crap. If you want to shave it all the way, it's probably fine.
2db9yc0.jpg

The majority of you that like to cover your bikes in tupperware won't see it, but if you're going naked this is an easy way to improve the look of the front end without doing too much work for it. Also, this allows you to easily run superbike or dirty bars... and I suppose you touring guys could swap just the top triple and get all the benefits of the more expensive "custom made" Busa triples with the integrated risers. On that note, the B-King risers are ugly as hell, but the good news is they're simple single-hole mounts that aren't keyed or anything, so there's a lot of options out there that you could use.
b8pwjl.jpg

Here's how it sits right now. The seat isn't done, going to take a good bit off the height and make it flow better with the lines. The tail is just a mock-up, the final part will be made out of carbon fiber. I'm also making a carbon or carbon/kevlar tank that will be flatter and cover the front sides that are exposed without the fairing, and will have more angular styling (think stealth fighter plane angles).
Oh, and the turbo isn't set up.

rcqx4y.jpg

I like the look of those bars from the side.
Your plans for the bike sound good.
Please post pics as you go.

Thanks! I'm gonna put lower risers on it and then flip the bars back right-side-up and see what it looks/feels like. Might keep em, or run drag bars.
Also have to do something about the rearsets... either make new ones or chop the OEM ones.
Working on figuring out the headlight situation. I want dual LED projectors, one on top of the other, but I think it's gonna come down to me building them from scratch. Which is fine, but means I need to learn a bit more about the electrical aspect of it so I can figure out what components I need.

Thanks! I'm gonna put lower risers on it and then flip the bars back right-side-up and see what it looks/feels like. Might keep em, or run drag bars.
Also have to do something about the rearsets... either make new ones or chop the OEM ones.
Working on figuring out the headlight situation. I want dual LED projectors, one on top of the other, but I think it's gonna come down to me building them from scratch. Which is fine, but means I need to learn a bit more about the electrical aspect of it so I can figure out what components I need.

I want to know more about what's available for headlights too.
I'm going to buy a late model gsxr1k any time now, still looking.
It's getting dirtbike bars.
I'm also considering removing all the fairings, which brings me to what's the best aftermarket headlight(or something off another bike). I need better than stock lights, and LED, not HID.

Nice. There's always the MT-03... usually fork mounted, available from a bunch of different places and there are a number of bracket designs available too, or just make your own bracket.

LSL MT-03 Urban Streetfighter Headlight Unit

Here it is on another project of mine, a 929RR...
2hnnur6.jpg

I'd use one on the Busa but I want something more unique... plus, I really like the look of projectors.

You should check out www.customfighters.com, big resource of information and helpful people, might come in handy for your GSXR1K project. My Busa's build thread is on there too. And there's a few GSXR1K's for sale there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out.
I like the cbr too.
I want the brightest headlights possible, and without the hassle of hid.
If I keep the stock headlight I'll do a projector retrofit in the stock housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man.
Yeah I'm in the same boat there... I've got an idea about using the high beam projector in the Busa housing, and just getting another one and fabricating a bracket to stack them on top of each other. They're not LED though.

Here's the build thread for the Busa fighter:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116017

As of this post, I've put $1800 into the build. The triples are done, turbo is done, fuel system is done. All that's really left is the dyno/tune, carbon fiber parts, and some finish work.

I like the creativity you put into your bikes...and the great fab skills.
I got a kick out of, "I'm not sure about this subframe, so I'll make another, and another. Yeah, that looks right".
My kind of project, keep the pics and info coming.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

If you want to use a dual headlight setup might I suggest you run Harley Davidson Daymaker LED headlights. Since fabrication isn't an issue for you in sure you can find a way to make them fit. They look badazz and light the road up like nobody's business :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad you like it.
The tail section/subframe... I have tons of scrap steel, and high-density foam is surprisingly expensive, so I figure I'll hammer out the design this way first. Once I'm happy with it, THEN I'll crave it up out of foam, pull a negative mold from fiberglass, and make the final carbon piece. Probably gonna follow the same process with the tank.
As for headlights, I have a set of LED projectors from a 2015 Nissan Murano on the way. No idea if they'll work, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

If you want to use a dual headlight setup might I suggest you run Harley Davidson Daymaker LED headlights. Since fabrication isn't an issue for you in sure you can find a way to make them fit. They look badazz and light the road up like nobody's business :thumbsup:

Harley parts, on a Suzuki!
WTF!
BAN!!!!

It wouldn't work anyway...they would just fall off.
And, for the record, I have ridden many Harleys, AND, I have had parts fall off:rofl:

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad you like it.
The tail section/subframe... I have tons of scrap steel, and high-density foam is surprisingly expensive, so I figure I'll hammer out the design this way first. Once I'm happy with it, THEN I'll crave it up out of foam, pull a negative mold from fiberglass, and make the final carbon piece. Probably gonna follow the same process with the tank.
As for headlights, I have a set of LED projectors from a 2015 Nissan Murano on the way. No idea if they'll work, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I've got ALOT of seat foam(I've made a few over the years).
I only have one block of medium foam left, but I have alot of 1" and 2" thick pieces, roughly 1'x2', new in the plastic.
Several different types and densitys. The kind you layer over the main foam, helps to shape, and soften or firm.
I can take some pics if you need any.
Would be happy to send you some if you need it, no charge, I have too much and would like to see it used.

I was talking about the real firm stuff that you carve up to make molds/frames for fiberglass and carbon fiber parts, to use for the tail itself.
That said, I DO need some seat foam for the seat. I'll PM you, thanks man!

Here's my daily ridden project in progress. 2005 see info in new riders section. Love the db bars, it's a blast to ride. Still a lot to do, but it's getting there.

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

Back