Top Triple Tree Clamp.

KenF

Registered
Just bought a 01 busa. After nearly 20 year of dragracing my RD/RZ, figured it was time to try something new.
Bike is bone stock. Main purpose of the bike is drag racing.
Plan A is to lower, strech and gear. Seems like their are some safety issues with using straps as the only means to lower the front. I think some sactioning bodies have outlawed straps.
Can the stock top clamp be modified to allow the fork tubes to come up?
Do any top clamps of other bikes fit.(that allow lowering)
Is a lowering clamp and straps the best combo?
How do the pingle spacers work?
Thanks in advance for you feed back.
I live in Alberta, -10F today and snowing. I can't wait till summer to try this baby on the track.

<!--EDIT|KenF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104526404 -->

I would get a lowering triple and a schnitz strap for the front when at the track ( you can buy the triple tree and the strap from Schnitz racing). That way you can lower it some in the front and it will be safe on the street and then you can strap it the rest of the way down at the track.
smile.gif

Thanks Blue.
Is the lowering triple just a top plate with holes for the forks and offset handle bar mounts ?

Does the strap go over the top or bottom tripple tree?

Can the stock top clamp be modified to allow the fork tubes to come up?
It is possible to drill out the stock triple clamp and then lower the front. I didn't like the look of my stock triple clamp and went with an aftermarket clamp from Schnitz racing. There are many other choices. There are highly polished, buffed and blacked out triple clamps ONe thing to watch out for with the really shiiney polished triple clamps is the glare from the sun when it bounces off the shiney surface

Thanks Blue.
Is the lowering triple just a top plate with holes for the forks and offset handle bar mounts ?

Does the strap go over the top or bottom tripple tree?
Some are just the top plate that hold the handle bars and allows the forks to slide up through. There are also some that replace the complete top triple. The lowering strap goes over the neck of the frame infront of the tank and bolts on with the caliper bolts.

Thanks Guys. I'm going to try the "cheap to free" method first. Make my own straps and modify the stock top clamp. Can always buy a clamp if it don't work.

Ken...don't bore yer top tree for the forks to slide through....will weaken it's integrity for sure, not to mention it'll look ridiculous......measure where they'd come through and you'll see what I mean.
You can easily find a used top clamp for $125 US.
Check the for sale section of www.suzukihayabusa.org they're on there quite often

Where are you in Alberta, my sister in-law lives in Okotoks.....I'm from just outside of Vancouver BC
I'm buildin a second Busa right now for drag racing also.

You gonna run stock length??
Did ya buy yer bike outta the buy and sell buy any chance, and if ya did....is it the black/gray one that's been in there for a bit with somewhere around 9000klms or something like that???

Bill

Thanks Guys. I'm going to try the "cheap to free" method first. Make my own straps and modify the stock top clamp.  Can always buy a clamp if it don't work.
I wouldn't do either of those. Spend the money and do it right so it will be safe, its not worth getting hurt or killed to save a few bucks.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Blue, you right. I looked at the top clamp, no room and not worth the risk for couple hundred dollars.
Monster. I'm not far from Edmonton.
The bike was not advertised. I looked at e-bay bikes a bunch, bid on one, lost by $100. Good thing, I found one 10 minutes from my place, go figure. 02, Black and Silver, bone stock.
This is my plan.
Lower the front 1" by sliding the tubes, and the rest with straps.
Lower the back 3".
Drop one tooth on the front sproket.
Brock's clutch mods.
4'-6" bolt on extentions. (May not be needed, but I like to looks)
Air shifter with Muzzy's digi-kill (Kills the fuel, not the spark)
Run it that why until I have the $$$ for a Hindle pipe and power comander.
Monster, what you you building? Do you plan to run at the CMDRA races?

PS. This is why I bought a Busa. Been racing one-of stuff for too long.
(Just sold my turbo charged, methonal burning RZ350 two stroke).
Wanted to run something where there's lots of folks to get advice from.
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you are on the right track for sure. Everything that you listed is exactly what I have done or will do. I have been running my 02 busa for about a year stock wheelbase and i just bought a 0-4 arm for it so I can get in the 5's in the 1/8th. The best I ran was 6.20's @ 119mph, my bike has BDE Hindle pipe, PCIIIR, BDE box mod, 16T sprocket, Lowered front and rear and strapped up front, everything else is stock.

I bet that turbo RZ was a heck of a ride. What kind of times did it run? ( I know those two strokes can fly).

Thanks for the advice guys.
Blue, you right. I looked at the top clamp, no room and not worth the risk for couple hundred dollars.
Monster. I'm not far from Edmonton.
The bike was not advertised. I looked at e-bay bikes a bunch, bid on one, lost by $100. Good thing, I found one 10 minutes from my place, go figure.  02, Black and Silver, bone stock.
This is my plan.
Lower the front 1" by sliding the tubes, and the rest with straps.
Lower the back 3".
Drop one tooth on the front sproket.
Brock's clutch mods.
4'-6" bolt on extentions. (May not be needed, but I like to looks)
Air shifter with Muzzy's digi-kill (Kills the fuel, not the spark)
Run it that why until I have the $$$ for a Hindle pipe and power comander.
Monster, what you you building? Do you plan to run at the CMDRA races?

PS. This is why I bought a Busa. Been racing one-of stuff for too long.
(Just sold my turbo charged, methonal burning RZ350 two stroke).
Wanted to run something where there's lots of folks to get advice from.
biggrin.gif
Cold there today I heard.
The one I have now is in my Av to the left....it is dropped 1" up front with a billet clamp, and dropped 1.5 in the rear with billet dogbones.
It has an HMF Bigbird pipe on it, it's down 1 tooth up front, the box is modded, it has a K&N in it, the pairs been removed, has the HD clutch springs, the TMH slave support and I have a set of Yosh cams in a box in front of me begging to go in!!
I painted it bright yellow, and nearly everything on it is polished or chromed...never raced it on the track....that's why I'm buildin the next one.
It's gonna be essentially the same, but with a TMH Ghetto turbo on it......5 over on the arm......4 over Airtech 1 pce tail section alot lower....gonna sit it right on the ground...airshifter....yadayadayada
You know how it goes.
Not gonna run CMDRA this year, just don't have the time.....will be at Mission on some of those weekends maybe if I can swing the time!!
Hope ta see ya there!!

Blue. Turbo RZ was good for 10.40s at 130 MPH at 10 lb boost.
Had trouble finding the right tune up for any higher boost level.
Had a 10.1 at 131 one of the only two full pass I made at 15 lbs boost.You can see some pics on my web site. www.godsspeed.ca
Monster. Love the bright yellow. The street shootout class has been running at CMDRA for just a few years now. There will be at least 2 turbo'ed busa's and a NO2 GXer 1000 running next year. Hope to see yours there.

There may be more t-busas than that even...I know three guys from here Two ready to go already, and another in the works...not 100% that they're gonno do CMDRA, but I'd think so....they're all drag racers!

I do not think boring out the stock triple clamp is even an option. I would go ahead and spend the money and do it right.

Trac_Triple.jpg

Back