Triple tree question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Recently I have noticed that there is "give" or "play" in the handlebars. Not much just a little. I can see the top of the clamp moving as I push down hard on one side or the other. Last night while installing the HID w/Shibumi. I noticed there was a gap (approx 1/16" to 1/8") between the triple tree and the top of the clamp. We had the nose off anyway, so I loosed the fork bolts and let the bike slide down so that the forks are up against the bottom of the clamp. I re-torqued all the fork bolts and finished the HID install. The "play" was gone and the front of the bike felt much more stable. I also reset the suspension to the "stiffer" setting in the owner's manual.

I went to the bike shop today to check new bikes and they have the same gap under the top clamp and they have the same "play" as mine did.

Now that I have said all that here is the question:

Have I made a mistake by lowering that clamp down ontop of the forks all the way?

Shibumi's Pingel install inst. told him to drop his all the way.

I put 225 miles on the bike today for a Veteran's Moving Wall memorial ride. Part of it was aggressive riding thru the mountains here in NW Arkansas. The bike felt better and more solid than it ever has.

Any inputs, comments, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Shibumi and I believe that gap is present to isolate the handle bars from the vibration of the bike.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the long post.

Don

You've basically lowered the front of your bike about 1/16" to 1/8". I am pretty sure the way the front is set-up is to minimize vibration in the handlebars. I recently replaced my entire upper triple with a one piece unit, and now feel much more vibration through the bars.

You've basically lowered the front of your bike about 1/16" to 1/8". I am pretty sure the way the front is set-up is to minimize vibration in the handlebars. I recently replaced my entire upper triple with a one piece unit, and now feel much more vibration through the bars.

Yes!
I have replaced the two yokes with two Robby Moto units and I feel more vibration...I'm speaking about "noisy" vibrations OVER the front fairing...I feel some vibe even on the handlebars BUT the bigger "problem" is the NOISE around the plastic...

Back