lowering

BigRod1300

Registered
I took the bike ( 2007 model ) to the shop to night to have the front lowered 2 inches. I previously installed a new triple tree for the forks to slide up thru. The shop only lowered the bike ONE INCH?
rock.gif
They said the fork tubes can only come up that far untill the factory ribs and taper of the forks dont fit thru the tree clamp. Help..... I ve seen others on here with more that one inch lowered? What is needed?

(justtight @ Sep. 14 2007,17:20) My 07 is lowered almost 2" I used a standard after market clamp
standard aftermarket clamp? What the top tree? I did one with the large hole for the forks to slide up thru. Did the Deal not want to open up the stock lower tree clamps?

The answer is simple ... they realized they only lowered it 1" and didn't want to correct their error. Take a look at the pic in my sig. That's a 3 inch drop. I had to bring it up to 1.5" but the point I'm making is that it can be done.

I wouldn't recommend you try to lower it on your own unless you have a way to remove ALL weight from the forks. Check out this thread:

You may also want to scroll down a bit in this thread to see how I get the weight off of the forks. The pic shows the rear being done but the principle is the same:

Holla back if you have any questions.

(justtight @ Sep. 14 2007,21:34) here's a pic
This is what Im after. That looks like two inches by looking just at the top of the tubes. Mine are flush with top of the chrome tree. I do not have front stand thats why I went to the Dealer. That Dealer is where i bought, but not he the one that has sone service for me in the past. I'm going there Wednesday for first sevice and will get them to lowerer another inch = two inch total. THanks I know the tube didnt have some size restriction?

Yeah, they're full of shite, don't let them blow you a load of B.S. they screwed up and they need to finish the job you paid them to do.

Aren't you lowering the back as well?
rock.gif

Just be aware that if you lower the front 2" you will probably bang your front fender on the tray under the nose when decel or hitting bumps. 1.25" - 1.5" is no problem, much more than that and you need to consider taking out the tray, stiffening up the springs or dramatically increasing the dampening.

(thebbbusa @ Sep. 15 2007,10:06) Just be aware that if you lower the front 2" you will probably bang your front fender on the tray under the nose when decel or hitting bumps.  1.25" - 1.5" is no problem, much more than that and you need to consider taking out the tray, stiffening up the springs or dramatically increasing the dampening.
I ride hard and haven't had any problems so far with the way I have mine set

(Shibumi @ Sep. 15 2007,07:17) Yeah, they're full of shite, don't let them blow you a load of B.S. they screwed up and they need to finish the job you paid them to do.

Aren't you lowering the back as well?  
rock.gif
Yea the back is getting lowered with Dapincci air ride when it gets here.

I'm down an inch in the front and about 2 1/2 in the rear. No problems as long as i dont put fat chicks on the back. Good thing my wife is only 115 lbs!

Thanks to all that replied. I went to the dealer shop that I am use to. No problem....they said. Fifteen minutes and the bike is total of two inches lower. Im going back to the other dealer to ask for my $$$ back
guns.gif
. Had to do the same work twice!

(thebbbusa @ Sep. 15 2007,10:06) Just be aware that if you lower the front 2" you will probably bang your front fender on the tray under the nose when decel or hitting bumps.  1.25" - 1.5" is no problem, much more than that and you need to consider taking out the tray, stiffening up the springs or dramatically increasing the dampening.
IM -2 front and back...280lbs and i dont have any problems

Take the bike when you go back to the original shop. Have them come out to 'take a look at a problem you found'. When they come out to look at the 'problem' and ask you what that 'problem' is, tell them the problem is that they're not qualified to call themselves a service shop if they don't know their own product. Further, why do they feel entitled to charge customers for incomplete work. Then show him the 2 inch drop. Then say, silly rabbit, tricks are for kids, and kick him REALLY hard in the crotch! Can you film it too, and post it up for us, I'd love to watch them squirm! This in no way is meant to be a solicitation for violence against any future litigants. I'm only being a big silly, so don't really do it, but if you do, film it.

Back