Tripage HID delay trouble, please help...

snaggletooth

Registered
I just finished installing the "tripage" HID delay. Every thing is working properly exccept for one problem. When I turn the key on my HID bulb flashes for a milla second, shuts off and stays off for about 8 seconds, then turns on.

The part where it stays off for 8 seconds is fine but the way that the bulb flashes when the key is turned on is not cool. :banghead:

I'm sure that I have it wired up correctly. I ran the non-sheathed wires to the power source (factory light bulb wires) and the sheathed wires to the HID ballast.

It sounds like this must be a bad delay unit. It seems as if the circut is starting in the closed (on) possition. Once power is supplided to the head light circut (via key) it is then switching to the timed open (off) possition. I think that this is what is causing the light bulb to flash before it goes into the timed delay mode.

Any other ideas that would cause the bulb to flash before the time delay is started?

Please help, I'm sure to break something if I keep taking the nose fairing on and off, S/T. :please:

Last edited:
What year bike is this? I know on some models, the headlight comes on when you turn on the key and goes out when you hit the starter then comes back on. I installed a switch so my HID is off until I get the bike started, you can also use a relay for this purpose. But I cant answer as to why it does that. I do know that I had to install the switch because sometimes my HID would not ignite if I shut the bike off and then started it back. The switch fixed my problem. Hopefully others will be able to offer better advice.

That's the plan from now on. I'll do a full light check before it's re-mounted. Semper Fi brother, S/T.

It's an 07 Busa. The lights are suposed to go on when the key is turned, hence the need for the delay. They will turn off when the starter is engaged. I thought of doing a toggle switch or even the "hold the start button before you turn the key then sqeeze the clutch lever" trick but I knew I would often forget to employ either method.

Last edited:
I just received some emails from Tripage. That was fast! He must realy care about his customers! Here's how our conversation went:

Just installed my HID delay. Seems like a very good product at a reasonable price. I even talked my friend into getting one.

My problem is:

When I turn on the bike (with the key), my HID bulb "flashes" on/off for a milla second, goes out, then after an 8 second delay turns on and stays on (as it's supposed to do). What can be causing the bulb to "flash" on/off before the delay starts to work? I have the non-sheathed wirers going to the factory headlight socket for power and the sheathed wires going to the HID ballast. Is this delay defective?

I would also like to know why my delay looks so much different than the one pictured on your web site?

My bike has been down for a very long time and this is the only thing stopping me from riding. Please help me resolve this issue as soon as possible, Robert.

The delay once powered that millisecond is the relay turning on to delay the startup, this is normal. Will not hurt the HID's, While powering up the HID's do the main draw of power, so this millisecond doesn't hinder the use.. We had to upgrade the relay that we use to support the 55watt HID's that are now available. The smaller one pictured was the original design. We are updating our new site with all the pictures and info.. T

Tristan,

First of all thank you very much for your quick reply. It speaks volumes about that kind of business man you are.

Sorry but I have to ask, "why doesn't the HID bulb on the bike in your video do this?" Are things different in this newer model delay?

Is this the way all of your new delays will work from now on, "flash the bulb for a millisecond upon power up before the delay activates?"

I'm by far no HID expert but I have read that sending a "pulse of power" to the HID ballast was not only bad for the ballast but bad for the life of the bulb?

Thank you for addressing the above questions, Robert.

With HID's in the past double firing would cause premature failure of bulbs or igniters. The video was taken awhile ago and I believe these are the older traditional ballast igniters that actually take a second to engage so would not fire before the relay could turn on. Newer igniters are digital and can fire at much fast times, the first sign of power and they will turn on. But with the newer igniters and bulbs you don't have to worry about double firing hurting them. The current draw of the HID's is still very high and can shorten the life of your battery if you do not have the delay relay or a switch to turn your HID's on after the bike is running..

Bikes charging systems are not the strongest but this delay should help out considerably. Thanks. T

Well, I'm satisfied with what he had to say and I'll be off to putting things back together. I'll put up with a millisecond flash when I turn the key on. It's much better than it was before and will certainly help extend the life of my brand new battery $$$.

I can't wait to have him turn my rear peg mounts into turn signals!

Last edited:
Ok, I know I sound a little wishy-washy but the "flashing" of my HID headlight bulb every time I turn the key is starting to bug me! I didn't notice this before but it also "flashes" for a second time after I depress the start button. Tristan says that this flashing will not hurt the newer ballast or bulbs but it can't be good for them either. Besides, it's just plain anoying to me! I just can't get past the way the bike in his web-site video doesn't flash the bulb at all, old style ballast or not.

I'm going to install a simple toggle switch to kill "all" power to the headlight prior to start up. I think I'll even install an LED idiot light to let me know that the headlight is off.

I asked for a full refund and advised him that I will be happy to order another HID delay when he can solve this "flashing" issue.

If anyone else has this "flashing" issue please chime in. I would like to know if I'm the only one that has had this problem, S/T.

Last edited:
Real funny cause i been using the starter button for a delay. Been puttin the timer on the back burner cause i hate electrical stuff. Well i just installed the dei delay timer and low and behold came inside to search for the same problem. I dunno if im gonna leave it or go to a switch that i know i will forget to turn on.

Here's a long over due update. Before chucking the HID delay I figured that I would give it a try with another ballast. I had a left over "old style" big ballast in the garage. I plugged it in an just like Tristan advised, "no more flashing with the older style ballast."

The strange thing is that I wanted to see the flashing issue one more time before I buttoned things up with the older type ballast. I re-connected the slim type ballast and for some unknown reason it didn't flash.

I don't know if the delay has some kind of "burn in time." All I know is that it's now working perfectly with the slim ballast. Very strange, I didn't change any wireing at all when swaping balast's.

All is well and I'm now very happy with the delay. Even though I had issues with my delay, Tristan stood behind his product and quickly responded to all my e-mails. When dealing with the flashing issue I would have given the delay a 6 ot of 10 rating but now that it is working properly I give it a 10 out of 10. Tristans customer rating has allways been a 10 ot of 10, even when I was having issues with his product.

Back