Rear Suspension Trouble---PLEASE HELP!!!

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
I seriously need some help here .org family.....

I am having trouble with my rear suspension. I have lowered it just a little with dogbones. I did the Jinksters suspension setup( I am not blaming Jinkster in ANY way)- this consisted of adjusting the rear as follows: adjusted spring tension DOWN two full turns, adjusted the compression from 0 out to 7 clicks, the rebound from 0 out to 10 clicks....That worked well for me riding single, but I guess it maybe is not right for riding two people....

My wife is about 115 lbs. and I'm about 200 lbs.- I don't know when the rear tire started to rub--I couldn't hear it rubbing at anytime..But apparently the suspension was too soft at this adjustment. I noticed that the tire had evidently rubbed a hole just under where the tool bag is held down (and slightly behind there too). It was evident that the tire was what had caused this.

I tried to adjust the spring down 4 more turns to see if that would keep the tire from rubbing any more...It still is rubbing.. Next I tried to adjust BOTH the compression and rebound adjusters---adjusted them in to make them stiffer..still rubbing.

So, I started BACK at zero...went back to factory settings I had marked BEFORE I ever started the Jinkster settings...
Then I ONLY adjusted the compression and rebound settings in again to try and stiffen things up... It seemed to help some but I STILL think that I heard it rub a little bit when we hit some rough spots in the road when riding today..... What can I do to ENSURE that I can get enough clearance to not have to worry about the tire continuing to rub worse...You know it's damaging the stock undertail by rubbing the plastic and I know it is hurting the tire some too...I need a fix to not have to worry about the condition of the tire===I don't want to have a blowout--especially with my wife on there with me...can someone help??? Thanks in advance....Chris

100_3440copy.jpg

23_11_52.gif

23_33_7.gif

My first response is stiffen that rear up.

I have you out weighed by atleast 100lbs and I have no issues

Are you running the stock tire? Is your rear shock good?

Heavybusa...

I'm running my stock tire still...the bike is an '06 I just bought in July...I have about 7700 miles on it so far... I supposed that the rear still should be good....I have just bought a new Avon Viper Sport--waiting on it to come in...but everything should still be working as new...only little over two months old....!!!

I would recheck those settings or the shock because you shouldn't be rubbing. I don't do a lot of 2-up stuff, but I am bigger than you and had passengers in the 135 lb. range without any rubbing of the rear.

Lose some weight.....

Just kidding... I have nothing constructive to add to those comments already here...

laugh.gif
@ Projekt

I'm with BigBSBusa, you have to stiffen that rear suspension up.

If I'm not mistaken the Jinkster is for single rider mid range weight canyon carving, I know you said you went back to the stock lines but now you need to stiffen things up.

You do not need to move the spring, use the adjuster screw

rear_upper_thumb.jpg

(heavybusa @ Oct. 02 2006,07:05)
laugh.gif
@ Projekt

I'm with BigBSBusa, you have to stiffen that rear suspension up.

If I'm not mistaken the Jinkster is for single rider mid range weight canyon carving, I know you said you went back to the stock lines but now you need to stiffen things up.

You do not need to move the spring, use the adjuster screw

rear_upper_thumb.jpg
Actually... You DO need to tighten the spring preload. Move the preload UP ALOT!! (Up means when you adjust the nuts on the shock/spring, they move downward). I'm 350+ and ride 2 up with some girls, and I never have problems with it... of course, I'm actuall lifted an inch in the rear... lowered, I wouldn't ride 2 up, but that me with my weight. If I were you, I'd have a friend watch the tire with you and the wife on the bike. Bounce up and down on it to simulate a few moderate to large bumps, and see if the tire rubs...

If he raises the spring then that would negate the reason for using the lowered dog bones. Right
rock.gif

Back