HOW TO WIRE A HID DELAY TIMER

thebbbusa

Donating Member
Registered
Some Hayabusa owner has problems with HID lights turning off during starting of the bike.  Here's a cheap and easy way to install a delay timer instead of a toggle switch.

Here's how to wire using the DEI 528T Delay Switch

The pics are kind of confusing since I had to pull the wires out of the bike to get the pics.  

allwires.jpg

Hopefully you can understand the text better.  I'll describe what to do here.  THIS IS HOW I WIRED MY LOW BEAM HID DELAY TIMER.

The DEI 528T Pulse timer has 6 wires coming out of it and a blue loop wire.

1. Yellow and Red Wires on 528T

Take the Red and Yellow wires on the 528T and tie them together and add a male spade connector.  Then insert this spade connector into the bikes OEM headlight connector on the (+) side or the side with the white wire going to it.  You may have to remove some of the plastic connector you added so it will allow the spade to slide into the bikes connector.

OEMwires.jpg

2. Solid Black wire on 528T

Take the Black wire and cut it off at about 2 or 3 inches from the 528T box and then prep the end of the wire by removing 1/4 inch of the insulation.  Take the new piece of Black wire (the one you just cut off) prep both ends of the wire.  Take one end of the new Black wire and twist together with the Black wire on the 528T that is now 2 or 3 inches long and add a female spade connector.  This spade connector needs to connect to the male spade Black wire on the HID high voltage box.  You should have one end of Black wire not connected.

5wires.jpg

3.  Black wire with White stripe on 528T

Twist this wire with the leftover Black wire from step 2 and add a male spade connector.  Then insert this spade connector into the bikes OEM headlight connector on the (-) side or the side with the black wire going to it.  You may have to remove some of the plastic connector you added so it will allow the spade to slide into the bikes connector.  In this pic on the right you should see two black wires, one of those is the extra end from step 2 and the other is the Black wire with White stripe, the stripe is on the other side.

OEMwires.jpg

4.  Orange wire on 528T

Add a female spade connector to this wire and connect it to the HID High Voltage box male spade White wire.

5wires.jpg

5.  Brown wire on 528T

Brown wire is not used

6.  Blue loop wire on 528T

DO NOT CUT LOOP WIRE!!!  Leave it alone.  I cut mine and it did not work.

At this point you should have no extra wires except for the Brown.

There may be other ways to use this box, but this way worked for me.

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s110.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/thebbbrain/Oddities/VCLP0038.flv"></embed>

Use the Screw setting on the 528T to set the amount of delay you want to have.  Keep in mind longer delay is better as I have noticed I fumble around (gettting bike in neutral, checking ON/OFF switch etc) after turning the key on sometimes and need a little extra time to get the bike started.

Good luck.

OEMwires.jpg

5wires.jpg

I've seen them on Ebay. Or your local auto stereo install shop. Ebay or online will be A LOT cheaper though.

I just received my DEI relay switch and I was reading your post. My question is at step#2 you say cut the blk wire coming from the relay and then re-attach it to the same blk wire coming from the relay? Did you mean to the HID? I'm just guessing at this point because my kit hasn't arrived yet. Just what to read up on it and be prepared.
rock.gif

(dbankhotbusa @ May 03 2007,20
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) I just received my DEI relay switch and I was reading your post. My question is at step#2 you say cut the blk wire coming from the relay  and then re-attach it to the same blk wire coming from the relay? Did you mean to  the HID? I'm just guessing at this point because my kit hasn't arrived yet. Just what to read up on it and be prepared.
rock.gif
I know it doesn't really make sense, but if you look in the picture under step 2 you can see the black wire coming up from the 528T at the bottom of the picture.  It goes from there into the spade connector and back out of there and joins with the black wire with white stripe as shown.  Then those go to the bike's connector as described.

There may be other ways to wire it, but this worked for me.

Here's a simple schematic of what's going on.

528t4hid.jpg

Okay I'm tracking, To make sure I'm on the same page thou, I'm taking the solid blk wire cutting it, and placing a connector on it, 2. Join the blk wire I just cut in thE same connector. 3. then connect the solid blk wire w/ the blk/wht striped wire and connect to HID KIT.

(dbankhotbusa @ May 03 2007,21:36) Okay I'm tracking, To make sure I'm on the same page thou, I'm taking the solid blk wire cutting it, and placing a connector on it,  2. Join the blk wire I just cut in thE same connector. 3. then  connect the solid blk wire w/ the blk/wht striped wire and connect to HID KIT.
Take the black wire on the 528T, cut it.

Take the new loose piece you just cut off and twist one end of it together with the one you just cut and add a connector, this will go to HID ballast.

Take the other end of the loose wire and connect it with the black and white wire, this will go to your bike's headlight connector harness.

I can't really explain it any clearer. The HID needs to tap the solid black wire on the 528. I tapped it as shown, by cutting it and splicing it back together.

Hope that helps.

Ordered my DEI 528T Pulse timer,read the post 3 times and only have one question...Can you come to my house and do it?...please.lol. jk
Great post!
SHOCKED.gif

BB I have a question?
I can follow most of all the directions, but when I get to step to 2 it says "This spade connector needs to connect to the male spade Black wire on the HID high voltage box"

Where is there a spade connector ON the hid high voltage box? There is a set of wires goint in the box from the harness and one going out to the bulb. Are you refering to the wires going from the voltage box to the bulb, b/c I don't feel comfortable cutting/splicing into those because they look like SERIOUS wire.

In step one, you have the yellow/red going into the harness connecter. I got that.

Hey, I'm a little confused when we get to step two. It says"*This spade connector needs to connect to the male spade Black wire on the HID high voltage box."

Where on the high voltage box is there a male spade terminal? I guess I'm a little confused.

In you diagram, do you refer to "bike" as any place from the harness to the hid voltage box, and do you refer to Ballast as to any place between the hid voltage box and the actual bulb?

If the above is true, on my set up, in step two, would I have to piggyback the black and black/white wires somewhere along the voltage box to the bulb-which looks like seriously large wire I would rather not tap in to.

Am I misunderstanding this??

Thanks BBBbusa, I got it all figured out and working. By the way, google this topic, your write up is posted EVERYWHERE!! On tons of different bike forums.

You should be proud!

I have The 08 busa and I want to add HID's but not to which ones to purchase.Can someone give Me an idea to which ones are not to exspensive. I only want low beams . Thanks

I have The 08 busa and I want to add HID's but not to which ones to purchase.Can someone give Me an idea to which ones are not to exspensive. I only want low beams . Thanks

Wrong thread for that kind of info. FYI you probably won't really need this mod (delay) on the 08 either....unless you just want it.

interesting twist to this......
been working on setting mine up with the delay timer for a day or so, originally just used a toggle switch to eliminate the double fire; but ran into a slight problem.

APPARENTLY THE DELAY TIMER DOES NOT WORK WITH THE DIGITAL BALLAST!!!!!

Man was I pissed. And believe it, I tried wire the thing every which way under the sun.

AND, was using my conventional HID box in between to confirm correct wiring. so after a few hours of testing both my digital boxes along with my 4 conventional boxes and multiple ways of wiring, I went back to the trusty switch.

This is interesting. Not sure why it wouldn't work though. It's just a relay that senses the ON current from the bike, and delays letting it thru for a period of time. Unless what current it lets through, the digiballastdoesnt like. So if I read your post right, the delay worked with your conventional boxes?

First I have heard of this.

Back