HOW TO WIRE A HID DELAY TIMER

oh i also wired in my radar detector after the delay so it comes on with the lo beam hehe :laugh: :thumbsup: fab'd a little bracket to go between the glare shield (forward of the instruments) and the instrument cluster...attached detector with velcro. we shall see!

umm..well it all worked very well about a halfa dozen times. testing and setting the time, it worked great about 3 or 4 times. then i cranked it and checked my headlight adjustments and it worked fine then. parked it and turned it on sunday night because i wanted to see how they looked at night; all worked great, radar detector included. last night was getting ready to ride to work on it and it was delaying fine and when i was just about to hit the start button i heard a little pop and then the lo beam came on. at first i thought maybe 20sec went by faster than i thought, but the more i thought about it, it popped, which it hadnt done before, and then came on, and i knew it couldnt have been 20 seconds, maybe 10 instead. got to work, turned the bike off and tried it, sure enough, no delay. tried it half way through the night, no delay. started it to come home this morning, no delay. ?????? ???

Not 100% sure, but your problem may be too much running thru the delay relay. You may need to use it with a relay that can handle the load of all of the devices. Just a thought.

I've been running my delay relay for a few years now with no troubles.

Ok I ordered a kit from a company called Tripage they make delay kits just for MOTORCYCLES I will post up pics of the install tonight after I get out of work 11pm eastern time... here are a few pics of the kitt.

2009-08-14 16.03.53.jpg

2009-08-14 16.03.46.jpg

2009-08-14 16.03.37.jpg

2009-08-14 16.03.19.jpg

OK NO NEED TO SHOW how I wired it it its beyond easy, and the website shows it ....It works well and I used my own spade connectors and just pushed them into the stock headlight connector ,the weird connectors they sent I didn't like.

Ok I ordered a kit from a company called Tripage they make delay kits just for MOTORCYCLES I will post up pics of the install tonight after I get out of work 11pm eastern time... here are a few pics of the kitt.

hows this relay working out? how long does it delay.......

IMO i would rather use the male/female connectors vs spliving it in.....yes no?

hows this relay working out? how long does it delay.......

IMO i would rather use the male/female connectors vs spliving it in.....yes no?

Ive been using it since 8-14-09 No problems got caught in the rain BAD so BAD bike wouldnt even start but the head light still worked ...its GOOD :thumbsup:

So I wired mine up, I have the Vision PRO ballasts. Timer works fine, but oddly if I flick the high beam on, the lowbeam comes on too, and stays on even if I turn the high beam off right away. It just ignores the timer if I do this. Any reason? Anyone else have this result? I actually like it since it lets me set a longer timer, but if I wanna go right away I know this turns it on.

Thanks for the write up.

So I wired mine up, I have the Vision PRO ballasts. Timer works fine, but oddly if I flick the high beam on, the lowbeam comes on too, and stays on even if I turn the high beam off right away. It just ignores the timer if I do this. Any reason? Anyone else have this result? I actually like it since it lets me set a longer timer, but if I wanna go right away I know this turns it on.

Thanks for the write up.

yeah, mine does this too...I have to make sure the high beam is off before starting, hard at first, but now its just a habbit.

There must be a briged connection somewhere in the factory wiring from the hi beam to low beam. Once it gets to the relay timer, it must trip the circuit closed (and like you said, stays closed).

Last edited:

Just installed this on my bike, nice and simple took me 10 minutes to mount, solder, and heat shrink everything. 2 wires from the headlight to the relay (used 2 male spade clips into the factory headlight harness), and 2 wires from the relay to the ballast harness (soldered and heat shrunk). I also decided to mount it on the side of my rear subframe, helps keep the front nice and neat. Highlly recommended. :thumbsup:

Hmm. Well that sucks. I bet the problem could be resolved by using one additional 'regular' relay to run the power, instead of letting it go thru the delay. So in other words, instead of connecting the delay to the ballast, connect it to a relay that when activated let's the current thru. Know what I mean?

I know Im kinda brinig this post back a long way but this is exactly what Im trying to do BBBusa. Do you know how I would do it correctly? I installed my HID's with a 40 amp relay wired from the battery to help the factory harness supply power to the ballast while the bulb is charging. I now want install the DEI 528T delay relay. So my problem is I want to wire in the DEI 528T without removing the existing relay I have drawing from the battery.

How do I wire in the DEI relay but keep the 40amp relay as the primary relay since it is drawing power directly from the battery? (which i like)

My concern is that the DEI has a 15 amp relay built in. When wired separately they are supposed to both be wired to the ballast and both are supposed to be wired to the factory headlight harness so HOW and just as importantly WHERE do I splice the DEI into my existing relay harness setup. Again Im trying to do this without having the DEI 528T cancel out the fact the existing relay is the relay helping to power the ballast. Any help would be appreciated, a wiring diagram, or pics from someone with a similar setup would be even more appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I think I figured it out with the help of a few people. I should basically wire the DEI into the factory harness then wire the opposite side of the DEI into the 40amp relay basically wiring the entire DEI inline on the factory harness side of the 40amp relay. This would have the factory harness push power through the DEI which would then push power through the 40amp relay which would then power the ballast. Thanx. :thumbsup:

I think I figured it out with the help of a few people. I should basically wire the DEI into the factory harness then wire the opposite side of the DEI into the 40amp relay basically wiring the entire DEI inline on the factory harness side of the 40amp relay. This would have the factory harness push power through the DEI which would then push power through the 40amp relay which would then power the ballast. Thanx. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I don't get updates from this thread for some reason...glad you got it figured out.

Why did you wire this to the headlight and not the ballast box??Wouldnt make more sense to delay the voltage to the box or did you put it in between the bulb and box??Guess it seems vague to me.

Figured since this thread is still on page one of the sub-forum, I'd add something to it. If you buy Morimoto brand HID kit, not only will you get a 10x better kit than the China HIDs but the ignitor has a time delay already built into it.

Back